Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Ez Pass Transponder

Does anyone use the front bumper mounted Ez Pass Transponder? If so, any problems? Thinking of getting one for my Interstate.
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I don't travel to toll roads or toll bridges enough to bother with one. But everyone I know that uses one uses the inside windshield mount, not a bumper mount.
Old 02-06-2016, 11:04 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I have an EZ-Pass and a Florida Sunpass; both mounted near top of windshield on either side of the rear view mirror.

- - Mike
2013 Lounge EXT on 2012 Sprinter
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:21 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
I keep my EZ Pass in the glove box, and hold it up when I pass through a toll, as this is infrequent now-a-days. Keeps the windshield less cluttered.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 11:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I just put mine on the dash when I need it, works fine.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Works great on both my AI and on my car. We often travel to Indiana via I-77through WV. It works on the toll part of I-77.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 01:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Way too easy to steal and I at least would not notice right away.

Mine are inside the front window and or in the glove box and pulled out when needed
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB International
Liberty Corner , New Jersey
I keep ours inside our class B but use this case (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage) so it is easy to remove.
TheCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'm not sure how widely these things are now accepted (reciprocity keeps expanding), but in Texas they must be on the inside of the windshield and they cannot be interchanged among vehicles. Our toll roads have cameras that photo-match license plates to every transponder.

So we have two daily drivers plus one Interstate all with individual transponders. The Interstate's toll account is necessary for us as we live on the south side of Houston and must drive across the metro area to get to most other places.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:55 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
East Falmouth , Massachusetts
transponder

We have two of them on our vehicles ,they are perfect nothing in the window and if it was stolen you still not be liable.
miskeeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:12 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
Thanks everyone for all your comments. I like the idea holding them up when needed, will consider that. I am looking at getting the NC Quick Pass hard case transponder. If I understand their FAQ correctly it will work with not only the NC network, but also E-ZPass, Peach and Sun networks.
Dalwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
California thankfully uses one system statewide. Not only can we use one transponder amongst multiple vehicles, we don't even need to have our transponder with us provided our license plate is registered to our account. No extra charge for the photo license plate service.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 10:57 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I have an EZ Pass out of Massachusetts. My wife called and added our trailer to the account, then I proceeded to drive it across the country and up and down the Eastern seaboard motoring through every toll both, even ones with gates, and trust me I often wondered if it would stay up long enough for the trailer to make it through.

So far, not one fine, greatest thing since sliced bread.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
melrose , Massachusetts
we will be towing a car behind our interstate and want to know how to handle ezpass both vehicles have a transponder
jennian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockwell , North Carolina
Ours came with a metallic cover in the original box. You are to put the unit in this metallic cover which prevents it from being read while the car is being towed.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennian View Post
we will be towing a car behind our interstate and want to know how to handle ezpass both vehicles have a transponder
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
Ours came with a metallic cover in the original box. You are to put the unit in this metallic cover which prevents it from being read while the car is being towed.
Last time I crossed a toll bridge while pulling a toad— the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway— I was charged for both vehicles because the price is per axle. And that's paying cash, not EZ Pass.

On the other hand, when I crossed a toll bridge in Pensacola Beach headed to Fort Pickens Campground, I wasn't charged for the toad, because the toll is a flat rate. Again, that's paying cash.
Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
I'm hesitant about putting anything on the bumper. I enclosed my front license plate in a nice weather tech enclosure. It kept setting off the bumper sensors.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by K9CarCrate View Post
I'm hesitant about putting anything on the bumper. I enclosed my front license plate in a nice weather tech enclosure. It kept setting off the bumper sensors.

Be careful when passing through Illinois....plate covers are illegal and they LOVE to write 'em up! I know several people who have been ticketed. Other states may have prohibitions as well.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:48 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Vienna , Virginia
That is good information! Fortunately I made a decision long ago to avoid the state of Illinois regardless of how many extra miles I need drive.

K9CarCrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Be careful when passing through Illinois....plate covers are illegal and they LOVE to write 'em up! I know several people who have been ticketed. Other states may have prohibitions as well.
In Texas you can have certain frame-like devices as long as no part of the plate is obscured or made ambiguous. For instance those frames with car dealer logos on them - those are not supposed to be used. They can be pretty picky about what they deem as "obscured". No device may cover part of the letters in "Texas" at the top of the plate, for instance.

Some of this has to do with photo auto-recognition of plates... frames interfere with the computers' abilities to decide conclusively what is and is not a valid Texas plate. Most of our law enforcement now has automatic scanners that automatically barf out records on every vehicle that passes by an officer (a process which tends to make civil liberties people less than happy).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote