Old 03-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #29
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Drove 20 miles on toll road here... Cost about $60!! But I did not have to use my collision deductible driving thru Awstun.. Especially with the current visit from his and her majesty.

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile ez-pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie M View Post
I hope this Q isn't too dumb; I live in Las Vegas, NV and never travel any toll roads. I'm planning a trip to the UP of Michigan and will be traveling around Chicago, IL via toll roads. I'll be towing my Airstream. Am I able to purchase a pass for the IL. toll road system, from LV, NV. so I can travel non stop with the trailer? How does the E-Z pass work; submit a credit card, pay up front, travel the road and pay later?
Yes you may pur. Il. [you do not have to live in Il. to pur.] I-pass pay a deposit with credit card for usage, when bal. gets low you can either replenish or use up funds then return To Il. toll way authority. They will credit card for unused funds if all not used Il. I-pass can be used in other states also, just google what states have agreements with Il. & there isn't any extra charge for using in other states that I no of as I have never paid extra. Bill

Old 03-16-2016, 01:39 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
I had a patient before my retirement, the CEO of a motorhome manufacturing company, who had 2 or 3 California EZ-pass transponders in his car. Each one for a different toll road in California since he frequently traveled in different areas. He did not realize he was charged separately for each account every time he traveled the tollway. AEW
Old 03-16-2016, 02:43 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Lake Mary , Florida
When I did not have a NY EzPass, I used to go through tolls with trailer via man cash booth, and they had always charged me per axle. Since I was with trailer, the cost was triple above regular car charge. Now I have an EzPass, and I go through non-stop lane, and I have no idea how they charge, per axle, or per run.

Does anyone know how their system scan it if you go with more that two axles?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:57 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile e=pass transponders

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Yes you may pur. Il. [you do not have to live in Il. to pur.] I-pass pay a deposit with credit card for usage, when bal. gets low you can either replenish or use up funds then return To Il. toll way authority. They will credit card for unused funds if all not used Il. I-pass can be used in other states also, just google what states have agreements with Il. & there isn't any extra charge for using in other states that I no of as I have never paid extra. Bill
Also with Il. I-pass you can state dif. vehicles. that will use & if trailer on list you will not be charged in not towing listed trailer.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
When I did not have a NY EzPass, I used to go through tolls with trailer via man cash booth, and they had always charged me per axle. Since I was with trailer, the cost was triple above regular car charge. Now I have an EzPass, and I go through non-stop lane, and I have no idea how they charge, per axle, or per run.

It always knows when I do it.

I've asked if I could use EZPass when towing, as my account show jut the vehicle with two axles. They alway told me it was OK when towing.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
It always knows when I do it.

I've asked if I could use EZPass when towing, as my account show jut the vehicle with two axles. They alway told me it was OK when towing.
Quote:

In theory when you are towing even a one-axle trailer, you are supposed to have a different NYS EZ Pass. I called in and got one added to my account, even though I did go through tolls before and was not charged for the trailer.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf

I would rather comply with the letter of the law, than be subject to some future violation by a zealous tollbooth attendant or NYS Trooper.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:39 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Thank you Otra for the picture.
However, when we run through EZ Pass on Airstream Interstate without trailer, it should be considered as a regular car, correct?
Old 03-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
We have one for the truck and one for the truck with trailer. The right one is on the windshield and the other one is in the foil bag in the glove box so we don't get charged for both when going through tolls.
Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Yes Mr. B, I do the same as SteveSueMac -- two different EZ Passes according to the vehicle configurations.

Although I am not positive your Interstate is considered a passenger vehicle on its own. In some states there may be an "Recreational Vehicle" designation which applies?
Old 03-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I would say the Interstate qualifies like a "car". From the EZ pass site - q&a about determining vehicle tolls:

I have dual rear wheels on my pickup truck. Does this affect my vehicle classification?
No. Dual rear wheels are not a determining factor for vehicle classification. Classification will be based on height and axles regardless of the number of tires on each axle.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #40
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Classification will be based on height and axles regardless of the number of tires on each axle.
Given that an Interstate is nearly 10 feet tall, it may not be classified as a car if height is a factor.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Lake Mary , Florida
Really? What is the height regulations there?
Old 03-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Really? What is the height regulations there?

Seems like 7'6"

Here's the website:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/faqs.html