Old 07-27-2016, 11:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Poland , Ohio
EZ pass

I have multiple EZ Pass transponders for my cars and if I take a vehicle without one I just take it out of a car. I am assuming I can't do this with Interstate since it is a larger vehicle. Or does EZ pass automatically account for the vehicle size. I could not find an answer on their web site.

Old 07-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docevil View Post
I have multiple EZ Pass transponders for my cars and if I take a vehicle without one I just take it out of a car. I am assuming I can't do this with Interstate since it is a larger vehicle. Or does EZ pass automatically account for the vehicle size. I could not find an answer on their web site.
Most places that have tolls charge per vehicle or per axle. I know of only one toll bridge that charges extra for vehicle size, and that's the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway, where vehicles over 6 feet tall pay double.*

I asked a member of the Lake Pontchartrain Causeway Commission about that once, and the answer I was given was that taller vehicles are more susceptible to crosswinds and do a disproportionate amount of damage to the guardrails compared to lower vehicles. The Commission felt that it was fair to make taller vehicles pay a larger share of the total tolls collected as a result.

*When I'm towing my Honda Fit behind my Interstate, the charge is $12, double the usual $3 because of four axles, doubled again because one of the vehicles is over 6 feet tall. Seems to me I ought to only pay $9, because only one of the vehicles is tall. But that argument doesn't fly with the toll-takers. I don't cross the Causeway often enough to justify having an EZPass, so I pay cash.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:25 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
fairfax station , va
EZ Pass 6 tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docevil View Post
I think it's "Don't ask, don't tell"

My wife of course asked...and so they sent us a new transponder. The tolls for each entry are sometimes higher, depending on the state and the particular road/bridge. I think the vehicle type data is in your account tied to that specific transponder.

The vehicle code for AI is 265, 2 axles, 6 tires.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
This previous thread from a few months ago also talked about transponder issues, just FYI.

In Texas, they are issued on a per-vehicle basis. As one goes through each toll booth, an extremely powerful camera takes a pic of the license plate and the computer instantly compares it to the transponder signature. If a discrepancy is found, a law enforcement vehicle is often dispatched on the spot to run the offender down.

There is no annual fee here for transponders, so there's no skin off our noses for having a dedicated transponder in our Interstate.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Technically the pass is registered to a vehicle. Lost of politicians around here have gotten into trouble loaning out there free passes.

My TV has an EZ Pass and my trailer is also listed on that pass. Now that said most agencies have not figured out how to charge for the combination and charge me commercial rates based on axle count. I then have to call the agency and have the charge corrected. The computer knows what I have but they make a lot more money overcharging unsuspecting users.

As a rule of thumb NEVER use EZ Pass to cross any bridge on the Delaware River unless you are willing to fight for the refund. The Maine Turn Pike also over charges based on axles. You have to know the correct charge for your combination before you use EZ Pass. The charges are on each authorities web sight. I only use it on Holiday weekends when there is heavy traffic and don't want to wait in line and correct the charge after the fact.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have one Il. I pass that I move from pu. to Escape. In Il. each vehicle is reg. and trailers to this transponder. I have used in multiple states that have recip. agreement with Il. only charges taken off Il. escrow act. no sep. bill from other states.