Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
External Propane Hook up w/ Camp Stove

We just bought a Coleman Fold 'N Go propane camping stove. It's made to use with the small green propane tanks. I assumed we could, instead, use it hooked up to our external propane outlet.

Today, the guy in service at our local AS dealer told me that we could not use this type of stove hooked up to the AS because the stoves that take the green canisters are high pressure, and the AS Interstate is a low pressure propane system, and we need to get a special stove made to hook up to an RV.

Is this true? I've never seen or heard this mentioned before. Trying to figure out if I need to return the stove, buy a different type of stove, or if this guy is completely wrong.

I figure too, that there are benefits to using the green tanks, as far as being able to set up the stove anywhere. But then the salesman in the camping store told me they only last about 4 hours. Does that also seem accurate? That doesn't seem very convenient to be going through a tank or more each week.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
The guy is correct, the stove has a regulator for high pressure cylinders. Your AS tap is already regulated to low pressure. You will need a tap between the AS propane tanks and the AS regulator or you will need an appliance designed for low pressure propane to use the AS quick disconnect.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
OK. Glad to know that the guy wasn't a complete idiot (that would be me, I guess!).

So then, how do I find a camp stove that uses low pressure propane? I've looked on the boxes of lots of stoves in the camping store, and I haven't seen any reference to this.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Nowhere , Washington
The Camp Chef big stoves at Cabelas all work off low pressure propane. We use ours hooked up to the trailer all the time and love it.

Norm
Old 12-26-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
We just bought a Coleman Fold 'N Go propane camping stove. It's made to use with the small green propane tanks. I assumed we could, instead, use it hooked up to our external propane outlet.

Today, the guy in service at our local AS dealer told me that we could not use this type of stove hooked up to the AS because the stoves that take the green canisters are high pressure, and the AS Interstate is a low pressure propane system, and we need to get a special stove made to hook up to an RV.

Is this true?
yep

Quote:
I've never seen or heard this mentioned before. Trying to figure out if I need to return the stove, buy a different type of stove, or if this guy is completely wrong.

I figure too, that there are benefits to using the green tanks, as far as being able to set up the stove anywhere. But then the salesman in the camping store told me they only last about 4 hours. Does that also seem accurate?
yep

Quote:
That doesn't seem very convenient to be going through a tank or more each week.
Choices choices.

You can use an extend-a-flow T to attach your existing stove to the propane tank in your interstate but the results don't work out that great -- lots of hoses and problems with high-pressure propane showing up at the stove in liquid form.

Or you can find a stove that will work on low pressure propane. Usually some adaptation is involved to attach a suitable hose. You could also look at some of the marine grill/stove combinations from Magna and similar vendors, which can be adapted to either high or low pressure.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
Cream Ridge , New Jersey
Camping World sells a stainless steel stove designed for hookup to the low pressure outlet on the A$. You can go online and find a braided stainless steel gas hose in many different lengths. The outlet on our 20' Flying Cloud is at the front of the trailer on the drivers side. The hose that comes with the stove is short and requires you to use the stove right next to the propane tanks. Not a good idea in my book. I found a 12' hose online that will reach under the trailer and I set the stove up under the awning near the side door. The stove has a separate bracket that can be used as a base to set the stove up off the ground or be mounted to the side of the trailer with an optional rail attachment.
Joe Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I use one of these:
Coleman - Coleman- 8-ft (2.44-m) High-Pressure Propane Extension Hose - 8-ft (2.44-m) High-Pressure Propane Extension Hose

and have one of my two gas tanks hooked up to my stove like this:
Coleman - Coleman - coleman road trip grill - portable propane grill - RoadTrip® Grill LXE

It works great.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckybillrae View Post
Doesn't seem like it would be of much use to us Interstate owners with our one built-in ASME propane tank rather than the external DOT tanks you trailer owners use. We really need low-pressure systems because that's the only hookup option we've got.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:17 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Roblin , MB.
I believe your external propane outlet is low pressure as it is fed by the regulator on your main tanks on the front of the trailer. The pressure at this external outlet should be the same pressure as the feed to hot water tank, gas stove and fridge.
What you would need then to connect your Coleman stove to your external outlet would be a flexible hose with a male end on one end that would plug into the female coupler of your external outlet ( I assume you have a quick disconnect fitting on the outlet) and the other end of the flexible hose would require a fitting that would connect to your portable stove where the little tank screwed in. Your little tank would be removed. Your little tank fitting has a regulator built in so the stove is operating off low pressure.
I stand to be corrected on above.
Bob
nairnchyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Doesn't seem like it would be of much use to us Interstate owners with our one built-in ASME propane tank rather than the external DOT tanks you trailer owners use. We really need low-pressure systems because that's the only hookup option we've got.
My bad.....I didn't look at what his model was

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:48 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Protag....do you have a portable stove? If so, what do you use?

Joe...I looked on line at CW, and didn't see anything. Are you referring to the RVQ? I have seen that on line. That's a grill. We actually want a stove.

If I can't find a proper portable stove, then we'll probably keep the Coleman we got. Should I be concerned about keeping a couple of those small propane cannisters in the back of the Interstate? I figured I'd buy a plastic box to keep them in and maybe put an old towel in there too to keep them from rolling around. Is this safe?

I find it strange that the Interstate has this external hook up, and yet it seems almost impossible to find a grill or stove that you can actually use with it!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Protag....do you have a portable stove? If so, what do you use?
Right now I use a Cobb charcoal grill. But charcoal has proven to not always be the best option— since you can't turn off a charcoal grill once it's lit; you have to let it burn out or else drown it when you're done cooking.

Which is why I'm in the market for a gas grill I can carry with me in place of the Cobb. Not to mention that Cobb went out of business in North America last month, so product support is now nonexistent.

I'm thinking maybe a Coleman Fold'n'Go since it's small and lightweight, perfect for carrying inside the RV. Or maybe a Weber Q 1200, which is a little larger and heavier, but much better quality. Whatever I get, it sure would be nice to hook one up to the Interstate's propane port and avoid having to carry those little portable propane bottles inside the RV.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I have a baby Q from Weber and removed the regulator. I looked for a flaired nible and installed it directly onto the burner. The short hose that came with our unit is now attached the the grill and I have a quick connect on both ends. Works great. I'm working on our stove now on what to do to use it as well
Old 12-27-2013, 09:40 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
I'm thinking maybe a Coleman Fold'n'Go since it's small and lightweight, perfect for carrying inside the RV. Or maybe a Weber Q 1200, which is a little larger and heavier, but much better quality. Whatever I get, it sure would be nice to hook one up to the Interstate's propane port and avoid having to carry those little portable propane bottles inside the RV.
At home, typical cooking for us, is sauteeing meat and veggies in a skillet, or making one pot meals, so we went with the stove instead of a grill. And even with the EXT model, storage space in the rear is tight (various hoses, 2 camp chairs, small table, guitar, etc.), so the Fold'nGo seemed perfect.

Regarding carrying the portable propane bottles in the back....is this safe? I worry about big (and little) explosions!!
Old 12-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #15
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Don't know about a stove but Amazon.com has a Camco Stainless Steel Grill that will work with your low pressure hose/quick connect. It is the Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 SS portable grill ($185.25). If you are interested in a smaller one, you could try the Camco 51845 SS Portable Grill that comes with a storage bag for $125.47. (with that one you would need an adaptor, Camco Model 58279 LPG conversion kit which is available from Defender Marine for $43.99 + shipping).
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:56 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Carrying the small propane bottles is safe until it isn't. Not sure how to interpret that one but I do carry a couple to operate the small Coleman camp stove I carry along. They are pretty durable and I've carried one or two around for years. They are readily replaceable so you don't need to carry any more than that. Throw in a torch head for them and you have a charcoal or campfire starter too.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 10:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Thanks for the Camco suggestion. They have some other models too, that are low pressure. Nice looking units. They're all grills, if anyone is looking for a grill.

Adam, you're a Navy Seal. Awesome! When you carry your propane bottles, do you take any precautions? I thought if I wrapped them in an old towel so that they won't bang around on each other or against anything else, that would make it safer. Am I kidding myself? What should I be worried about in regards to making the 6:00 news? How do I stay as safe as possible with, what I view as explosives in the back of the RV?!
Old 12-27-2013, 10:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I just carry separate 20# bottle with us for use with the BBQ - a lot cheaper per pound than using the throwaways.

Co uld also come in handy if we ever totally ran out of gas with the trailer tanks, although that has never happened …. yet!

Incidentally, you can buy an adapter to refill the small 1# bottles from a larger tank - I think I have seen them at Harbor Freight and other places. I don't know though how well they work - or even if it is legal even if they do work well!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
Quote:
Thanks for the Camco suggestion. They have some other models too, that are low pressure. Nice looking units. They're all grills, if anyone is looking for a grill.

Adam, you're a Navy Seal. Awesome! When you carry your propane bottles, do you take any precautions? I thought if I wrapped them in an old towel so that they won't bang around on each other or against anything else, that would make it safer. Am I kidding myself? What should I be worried about in regards to making the 6:00 news? How do I stay as safe as possible with, what I view as explosives in the back of the RV?!
That was from Roger Weirdstuff, Adam was KIA in 2010
subfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
That was from Roger Weirdstuff, Adam was KIA in 2010
Roger, I'm so sorry. After I posted that, I realized my mistake. I'm very sorry.