Old 12-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Don't know about a stove but Amazon.com has a Camco Stainless Steel Grill that will work with your low pressure hose/quick connect. It is the Camco 57305 Olympian 5500 SS portable grill ($185.25). If you are interested in a smaller one, you could try the Camco 51845 SS Portable Grill that comes with a storage bag for $125.47. (with that one you would need an adaptor, Camco Model 58279 LPG conversion kit which is available from Defender Marine for $43.99 + shipping).

Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #16
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Carrying the small propane bottles is safe until it isn't. Not sure how to interpret that one but I do carry a couple to operate the small Coleman camp stove I carry along. They are pretty durable and I've carried one or two around for years. They are readily replaceable so you don't need to carry any more than that. Throw in a torch head for them and you have a charcoal or campfire starter too.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks for the Camco suggestion. They have some other models too, that are low pressure. Nice looking units. They're all grills, if anyone is looking for a grill.

Adam, you're a Navy Seal. Awesome! When you carry your propane bottles, do you take any precautions? I thought if I wrapped them in an old towel so that they won't bang around on each other or against anything else, that would make it safer. Am I kidding myself? What should I be worried about in regards to making the 6:00 news? How do I stay as safe as possible with, what I view as explosives in the back of the RV?!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
I just carry separate 20# bottle with us for use with the BBQ - a lot cheaper per pound than using the throwaways.

Co uld also come in handy if we ever totally ran out of gas with the trailer tanks, although that has never happened . yet!

Incidentally, you can buy an adapter to refill the small 1# bottles from a larger tank - I think I have seen them at Harbor Freight and other places. I don't know though how well they work - or even if it is legal even if they do work well!

Brian

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #19
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Thanks for the Camco suggestion. They have some other models too, that are low pressure. Nice looking units. They're all grills, if anyone is looking for a grill.

Adam, you're a Navy Seal. Awesome! When you carry your propane bottles, do you take any precautions? I thought if I wrapped them in an old towel so that they won't bang around on each other or against anything else, that would make it safer. Am I kidding myself? What should I be worried about in regards to making the 6:00 news? How do I stay as safe as possible with, what I view as explosives in the back of the RV?!
That was from Roger Weirdstuff, Adam was KIA in 2010
Old 12-27-2013, 12:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
That was from Roger Weirdstuff, Adam was KIA in 2010
Roger, I'm so sorry. After I posted that, I realized my mistake. I'm very sorry.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Just curious since the AI has a two burner stove, why the need for another outside?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Just curious since the AI has a two burner stove, why the need for another outside?
Great question. I wish I was willing to do just that, but, I don't really want the mess and definitely don't want the smells inside. I'm just sensitive to smells and would have a hard time sleeping in there after cooking in there. Also, I prefer to be outside as much as possible so that I don't feel cooped up all evening.

I do love that there is a stove inside, for when we might want or need to use it. But, I'd much prefer to be cooking outside.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:31 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Makes sense to me. Thanks, good luck on your search.

Old 12-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Makes sense to me. Thanks, good luck on your search.
Thanks. And since the Interstate is so small, I feel like I'd more or less be cooking in my bed!!

Right now we're leaning towards keeping the new Coleman and carrying 2 of the small disposable propane bottles with us. Although, as you can see, I am concerned about the safety of that!
Old 12-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #25
http://airstreamorama.com

2013 27' FB International
Palm Springs , California
I recently purchased a Weber Go Anywhere gas BBQ with a Weber Q Adapter Hose thinking this would be sufficient to connect the grill to the AS gas hose. Has anyone done this and know if this set up will work? Or will I still have to contend with a pressure issue?
Old 12-27-2013, 02:08 PM   #26
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Right now we're leaning towards keeping the new Coleman and carrying 2 of the small disposable propane bottles with us. Although, as you can see, I am concerned about the safety of that!
If I end up going that route, I'm think of buying a two-bottle wine tote to carry propane bottles in.
Quote:
Also, I prefer to be outside as much as possible so that I don't feel cooped up all evening.

I do love that there is a stove inside, for when we might want or need to use it. But, I'd much prefer to be cooking outside.
That's me all over. Cooking inside is for breakfast and for rainy days when it's too wet to grill outdoors. Especially in summer, cooking indoors just adds more heat that makes the AC work harder.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Carrying propane always a problem, absolute safety doubtful.
Minimise explosion by storing in vented locker, no open flames near locker.
I have experienced leaking of a connected bottle, but remember a post to boating forum of small green bottles leaking even when disconnected.
I always disconnect from grill and wait to store in locker until next day and use my nose to determine if it is a problem. Soap bubbles would be better but since it is a long time between uses I don't want to rust the threads.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I'm worried that Airstream used soft copper in plumbing the onboard propane system. Soft copper and vibration don't work together well.