Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
Extended with twin beds?

I called the factory and was told that I could order an optional twin bed setup on the extended Sprinter. Any feed back?
__________________

__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #2
Newbie
 
joemikeb's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 289
My question for you would be "why?" The only thing you gain in the extended chassis is some 16 inches of additional storage space behind the lounge and that is at the cost of more weight and reduced towing capacity. In the lounge model the lounge/seat serves to separate the additional storage capacity from the rest of the interior. With the twin beds you end up with some additional empty space.

I am not a small person (6'2" and 260#) but it has worked well in our standard length unit for my wife and I to put down the lounge without the cross fusion and sleep lengthwise ending up essentially with the advantages of both the lounge and twin bed layouts. We got too good a deal on the standard length unit to even consider the EXT but since we do not pull a trailer a Stowaway 2 cargo box more than makes up for any loss of storage space from the EXT and saved us roughly $17,000 in cost.
__________________

__________________
Make errors — otherwise the Great Spirit realizes
you have finished your purpose on earth.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
If you want the twin-bed model in order to use the rear doors for access, you won't be carrying a cargo tray or cargo box on the receiver; no way you could move them out of the way from inside when you want to go out. That really cuts down on your storage options, especially because in exchange for rear door access, you also lose that big overhead storage compartment in the rear. You don't gain much under-bed storage in return, either, because all the stuff that's under the rear seat of the sofa/lounge model (battery box, inverter/charger, water heater) is still under the besd.

Unlike a Class A or a lot of Class Cs, a Sprinter-based B-van doesn't have a "basement" to store your outdoor gear. In my non-extended Interstate, I used to use a hitch-mounted cargo tray to store my outdoor gear, because once I set up camp the tray would be empty, and low enough for the doors to swing open over it. Now, I hitch up my Honda Fit hatchback as a toad, and throw my outdoor gear in the back of the Honda. With the twin-bed model if you use either a cargo tray/box or a toad, it won't be practical to use the rear doors for ingress/egress.

Another thing to consider is passengers. While it may look like you've got more passenger space with twin beds, by seating people facing sideways on each bed, the reverse may be true instead. I don't know the current regulations on passengers in a motorhome, whether they all have to be belted in or not, but I very much doubt that the twin beds will come with seatbelts. It's something you'll want to look into.

But don't let us stop you. If you really want twin beds, get twin beds. You Interstate will be exactly that— yours— and all that matters is that you're happy with what you bought. Our opinions mean nothing compared to that.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you want the twin-bed model in order to use the rear doors for access, you won't be carrying a cargo tray or cargo box on the receiver; no way you could move them out of the way from inside when you want to go out. That really cuts down on your storage options, especially because in exchange for rear door access, you also lose that big overhead storage compartment in the rear. You don't gain much under-bed storage in return, either, because all the stuff that's under the rear seat of the sofa/lounge model (battery box, inverter/charger, water heater) is still under the besd.

Unlike a Class A or a lot of Class Cs, a Sprinter-based B-van doesn't have a "basement" to store your outdoor gear. In my non-extended Interstate, I used to use a hitch-mounted cargo tray to store my outdoor gear, because once I set up camp the tray would be empty, and low enough for the doors to swing open over it. Now, I hitch up my Honda Fit hatchback as a toad, and throw my outdoor gear in the back of the Honda. With the twin-bed model if you use either a cargo tray/box or a toad, it won't be practical to use the rear doors for ingress/egress.

Another thing to consider is passengers. While it may look like you've got more passenger space with twin beds, by seating people facing sideways on each bed, the reverse may be true instead. I don't know the current regulations on passengers in a motorhome, whether they all have to be belted in or not, but I very much doubt that the twin beds will come with seatbelts. It's something you'll want to look into.

But don't let us stop you. If you really want twin beds, get twin beds. You Interstate will be exactly that— yours— and all that matters is that you're happy with what you bought. Our opinions mean nothing compared to that.
The twin bed version does not come with seatbelts on the twin beds.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Another thing to consider is passengers. While it may look like you've got more passenger space with twin beds, by seating people facing sideways on each bed, the reverse may be true instead. I don't know the current regulations on passengers in a motorhome, whether they all have to be belted in or not, but I very much doubt that the twin beds will come with seatbelts. It's something you'll want to look into.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The twin bed version does not come with seatbelts on the twin beds.
Didn't express myself well enough, I guess. I meant that the OP should look into the regulations concerning RV passengers being belted in, not whether the twin beds come with seat belts. But I'm still glad you said the twin beds don't come with seat belts. I wasn't sure.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
No problem. Info was from the Airstream brochure which may or may not be accurate.

I didn't realize that the twin version didn't have the across the back locker. So you lose the space behind and over the lounge.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
 
ROBERTSUNRUS's Avatar

 
2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 7,268
Images: 18
Blog Entries: 51
[QUOTE=Denis4x4;1336840]I called the factory and was told that I could order an optional twin bed setup on the extended Sprinter. Any feed back?[/QUOTE]

Hi, I have been looking at those Sprinters too, but compared to my 25' trailer, they seem very cramped. They are very nice, but like I said too tight for me/us.
__________________
Bob

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master
 
73shark's Avatar
 
2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,748
But you can't haul eight folks to an out-of-town soccer tournament unless you have a Suburban or an Excursion.

I agree they are compact but that was an attraction for me as I can drive grandkids to soccer practice, etc in it.
__________________
Glass half full or half empty to an engineer is the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have been looking at those Sprinters too, but compared to my 25' trailer, they seem very cramped. They are very nice, but like I said too tight for me/us.
They're not cramped at all, for people who have been crew on a submarine!

Butt seriously, the way I generally describe an Interstate's accommodation is:
Comfortable for one, cozy for two, cramped for more. As a solo traveler, an Interstate is perfect for me.
__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
Denis4x4's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,111
I have a Safari 25 FB with twin beds and we're looking at the Interstate as a genuine touring machine for two people. I detest any sort of bed that is designed to do double duty! Too, it is difficult for my wife to get in or out of a converted bed. I'm not opposed to buying an extended Interstate and having a conversion done after the fact. Getting it from the factory would make life easier.
__________________
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master
 
Boxster1971's Avatar

 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 2,262
Different strokes for different folks... But we love our 2103 EXT Lounge model. Just completed a trip in Minnesota with 6 of us and all our luggage. You can't do that easily in a regular length Lounge or a Twin Bed model. IMHO the EXT Interstate is well worth the price. Just depends on how you plan to use your Turing Coach.

- - Mike
__________________
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #12
Newbie
 
joemikeb's Avatar
 
2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Different strokes for different folks... But we love our 2103 EXT Lounge model. Just completed a trip in Minnesota with 6 of us and all our luggage. You can't do that easily in a regular length Lounge or a Twin Bed model. IMHO the EXT Interstate is well worth the price. Just depends on how you plan to use your Turing Coach.
My wife wanted an EXT lounge model but given it was $17,500 more than the same year model Interstate in standard length, we opted for the standard length. The first time we pulled into our driveway we were VERY glad we had chosen the shorter chassis. Sixteen more inches in length and we would never make the turn into the back drive.
__________________
Make errors — otherwise the Great Spirit realizes
you have finished your purpose on earth.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master
 
UKDUDE's Avatar
 
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,038
I totally agree with you Boxster1971 - my wife and I use the extra space for a couple of folding bikes plus a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak for the two of us. Plus folding chairs, tools, a Viair RV tire compressor, etc, etc.
We couldn't possibly carry most of this without having the EXT model.
__________________
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Figment of My Imagination
 
Protagonist's Avatar
 
2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 10,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
We couldn't possibly carry most of this without having the EXT model.
Well, I carry a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak and a folding bike on a receiver-mounted cargo tray when I'm not towing my car, and inside my car when I am towing it, so there are still ways.
__________________

__________________
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.