Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Extended with twin beds?

I called the factory and was told that I could order an optional twin bed setup on the extended Sprinter. Any feed back?

Old 08-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #2

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
My question for you would be "why?" The only thing you gain in the extended chassis is some 16 inches of additional storage space behind the lounge and that is at the cost of more weight and reduced towing capacity. In the lounge model the lounge/seat serves to separate the additional storage capacity from the rest of the interior. With the twin beds you end up with some additional empty space.

I am not a small person (6'2" and 260#) but it has worked well in our standard length unit for my wife and I to put down the lounge without the cross fusion and sleep lengthwise ending up essentially with the advantages of both the lounge and twin bed layouts. We got too good a deal on the standard length unit to even consider the EXT but since we do not pull a trailer a Stowaway 2 cargo box more than makes up for any loss of storage space from the EXT and saved us roughly $17,000 in cost.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
If you want the twin-bed model in order to use the rear doors for access, you won't be carrying a cargo tray or cargo box on the receiver; no way you could move them out of the way from inside when you want to go out. That really cuts down on your storage options, especially because in exchange for rear door access, you also lose that big overhead storage compartment in the rear. You don't gain much under-bed storage in return, either, because all the stuff that's under the rear seat of the sofa/lounge model (battery box, inverter/charger, water heater) is still under the besd.

Unlike a Class A or a lot of Class Cs, a Sprinter-based B-van doesn't have a "basement" to store your outdoor gear. In my non-extended Interstate, I used to use a hitch-mounted cargo tray to store my outdoor gear, because once I set up camp the tray would be empty, and low enough for the doors to swing open over it. Now, I hitch up my Honda Fit hatchback as a toad, and throw my outdoor gear in the back of the Honda. With the twin-bed model if you use either a cargo tray/box or a toad, it won't be practical to use the rear doors for ingress/egress.

Another thing to consider is passengers. While it may look like you've got more passenger space with twin beds, by seating people facing sideways on each bed, the reverse may be true instead. I don't know the current regulations on passengers in a motorhome, whether they all have to be belted in or not, but I very much doubt that the twin beds will come with seatbelts. It's something you'll want to look into.

But don't let us stop you. If you really want twin beds, get twin beds. You Interstate will be exactly that— yours— and all that matters is that you're happy with what you bought. Our opinions mean nothing compared to that.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
If you want the twin-bed model in order to use the rear doors for access, you won't be carrying a cargo tray or cargo box on the receiver; no way you could move them out of the way from inside when you want to go out. That really cuts down on your storage options, especially because in exchange for rear door access, you also lose that big overhead storage compartment in the rear. You don't gain much under-bed storage in return, either, because all the stuff that's under the rear seat of the sofa/lounge model (battery box, inverter/charger, water heater) is still under the besd.

Unlike a Class A or a lot of Class Cs, a Sprinter-based B-van doesn't have a "basement" to store your outdoor gear. In my non-extended Interstate, I used to use a hitch-mounted cargo tray to store my outdoor gear, because once I set up camp the tray would be empty, and low enough for the doors to swing open over it. Now, I hitch up my Honda Fit hatchback as a toad, and throw my outdoor gear in the back of the Honda. With the twin-bed model if you use either a cargo tray/box or a toad, it won't be practical to use the rear doors for ingress/egress.

Another thing to consider is passengers. While it may look like you've got more passenger space with twin beds, by seating people facing sideways on each bed, the reverse may be true instead. I don't know the current regulations on passengers in a motorhome, whether they all have to be belted in or not, but I very much doubt that the twin beds will come with seatbelts. It's something you'll want to look into.

But don't let us stop you. If you really want twin beds, get twin beds. You Interstate will be exactly that— yours— and all that matters is that you're happy with what you bought. Our opinions mean nothing compared to that.
The twin bed version does not come with seatbelts on the twin beds.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
The twin bed version does not come with seatbelts on the twin beds.
Didn't express myself well enough, I guess. I meant that the OP should look into the regulations concerning RV passengers being belted in, not whether the twin beds come with seat belts. But I'm still glad you said the twin beds don't come with seat belts. I wasn't sure.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
No problem. Info was from the Airstream brochure which may or may not be accurate.

I didn't realize that the twin version didn't have the across the back locker. So you lose the space behind and over the lounge.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
[QUOTE=Denis4x4;1336840]I called the factory and was told that I could order an optional twin bed setup on the extended Sprinter. Any feed back?[/QUOTE]

Hi, I have been looking at those Sprinters too, but compared to my 25' trailer, they seem very cramped. They are very nice, but like I said too tight for me/us.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
But you can't haul eight folks to an out-of-town soccer tournament unless you have a Suburban or an Excursion.

I agree they are compact but that was an attraction for me as I can drive grandkids to soccer practice, etc in it.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:20 PM   #9

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I have been looking at those Sprinters too, but compared to my 25' trailer, they seem very cramped. They are very nice, but like I said too tight for me/us.
They're not cramped at all, for people who have been crew on a submarine!

Butt seriously, the way I generally describe an Interstate's accommodation is:
Comfortable for one, cozy for two, cramped for more. As a solo traveler, an Interstate is perfect for me.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 08-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I have a Safari 25 FB with twin beds and we're looking at the Interstate as a genuine touring machine for two people. I detest any sort of bed that is designed to do double duty! Too, it is difficult for my wife to get in or out of a converted bed. I'm not opposed to buying an extended Interstate and having a conversion done after the fact. Getting it from the factory would make life easier.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Different strokes for different folks... But we love our 2103 EXT Lounge model. Just completed a trip in Minnesota with 6 of us and all our luggage. You can't do that easily in a regular length Lounge or a Twin Bed model. IMHO the EXT Interstate is well worth the price. Just depends on how you plan to use your Turing Coach.

- - Mike
Old 08-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #12

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
Different strokes for different folks... But we love our 2103 EXT Lounge model. Just completed a trip in Minnesota with 6 of us and all our luggage. You can't do that easily in a regular length Lounge or a Twin Bed model. IMHO the EXT Interstate is well worth the price. Just depends on how you plan to use your Turing Coach.
My wife wanted an EXT lounge model but given it was $17,500 more than the same year model Interstate in standard length, we opted for the standard length. The first time we pulled into our driveway we were VERY glad we had chosen the shorter chassis. Sixteen more inches in length and we would never make the turn into the back drive.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I totally agree with you Boxster1971 - my wife and I use the extra space for a couple of folding bikes plus a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak for the two of us. Plus folding chairs, tools, a Viair RV tire compressor, etc, etc.
We couldn't possibly carry most of this without having the EXT model.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:16 PM   #14

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
We couldn't possibly carry most of this without having the EXT model.
Well, I carry a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak and a folding bike on a receiver-mounted cargo tray when I'm not towing my car, and inside my car when I am towing it, so there are still ways.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4