Old 01-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Engine oil for MB BlueTec engines

I was looking into buying a used Mercedes GL suv with BlueTec diesel (2014)... can came across this article on engine oil and engine issues during my due diligence. Thought I would share. Good read.

http://www.stephensservice.com/bluet...ssuesproblems/

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Thanks. I knew it would be a depressing read and it was.

Question is: how much do these people know about this complex topic? Nothing is more madenning than researching motor oil. I don't know that I dare going with some other kind of motor oil without detailed instrumentation and analysis after the fact to know it is doing better, or worse.

His writing reminds me of a famous boat surveyor in Florida which hated, hated diesel engines despite their popularity on larger boats. He would say that they are only good on commercial trucks that drive for hours and hours on freeways. Any other use was horrible and finding competent people to work on them was next to impossible.

amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Wow...that was...rambling. Best line in the rant was:

"My Mom always said, bought wisdom is the best wisdom….. providing you didn’t pay to much!"

Reminded me a bit of Forest Gump, and I couldn't help wondering if the author was conscious of the irony that the wisdom he was sharing is practically free.

I also found it interesting that the main fault finding he had for the owners was that they weren't doing their maintenance and always wanted the cheap solution. In my experience, I am the only Mercedes owner I know that doesn't take his vehicle to the dealer or a certified shop for everything, including the routine maintenance. That being said, I have read enough of the MB forums to know that there are DIYers out there who are looking of the cheap and dirty fix (but these are usually not the original purchaser).

Anyway, I don't know that I would let this article disuade me for looking closely at a used diesel GL. I bought my 2008 used and in 10 years on the road, I have never had any engine trouble (knock on wood). The one thing I like about buying a used "luxury" vehicle is that generally the previous owner will have actually spent the money to properly maintain it, treating it as an expensive and fragile machine, rather than saying "oh its a Toyota (or whatever brand you like), these things will run forever regardless of how you treat them."

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I should have never clicked on that link and remain ignorant to the situation...

I already had plans to change the air filter, oil filter and oil more frequently than factory recommended. A lot more frequently as I plan to change those every 5K miles and not wait the recommended intervals in the manual. I change fuel filter every two oil changes. I do that with all my vehicles... ...but I also tend to stay with the recommended oil by the manufacturer... I will make sure to use Mobil Delvac oil to stay within what Mercedes and avoid risk of warranty issues.

I also like his recommendation on using a super magnet drain plug from Dimple Magnetic Drain Plugs. I thought these engines came with a magnetic oil plug... guess not.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:30 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
FYI, I emailed that guy and asked him if he had any analogous words of wisdom to share regarding first-generation Sprinters. If I receive any useful info, I'll summarize here.
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
MB is running the risk of destroying their reputation in diesel longevity to keep a few tree huggers happy. I went through this with my VW TDI. A car that gave 44 mph was recalled while my Ford Excursion diesel gets 13 mpg. It would take real fancy math to ever convince me that that was a net gain.

I would seek the information they provide the rest of the world and act accordingly with the maintenance of the engine. It would be interesting as to what value thermostat MB uses around the rest of the world.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Re: my FYI above, ask and ye shall receive - on rare occasions, this being one of them.

Note to readers - this opinion statement pasted below is from the mechanic referenced above, and it applies to the T1N Interstate (2006 and earlier chassis and engine), *not* the NCV3 which has BlueTec.

As for the technical veracity, that is something upon which I cannot comment - I'm just presenting it verbatim, as info:

"Those [T1N] engines didn't have any problems compared to the BlueTec diesel. I would still use motorcycle oil in them, or add a Zinc oil additive to diesel oil. Modern diesel oil doesn't have as much zinc as in the past. Zinc was in oil for 75 years to prevent metal to metal wear. It his the absolute best anti-wear additive ever. The EPA took it out of oil because they say it contaminates the DPF & Catalytic converters. You don't have those, so pour in the zinc. You can get it at any parts store. Motorcycle oil naturally has the correct zinc levels. 20w/60 is a good weight for a engine like yours. Still change it every 5000 miles. Soot builds up in all diesel oils. After 5000 miles, the soot starts to cause excessive wear."
InterBlog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
I will make sure to use Mobil Delvac oil to stay within what Mercedes and avoid risk of warranty issues.
When did MB switch from Mobil 1 ESP to Delvac?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #9
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
When did MB switch from Mobil 1 ESP to Delvac?
They did not switch. Delvac complies with the specs from Mercedes listed in the owners manual. And also one listed in that link the OP provided.

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is online now   Reply With Quote