Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Melville , New York
Exclamation Engine Light - DEF sensor

Hi Fellow Interstate/Sprinter Airstreamers: I am new to site and appreciate all the benefits I have received from all of you. I feel welcome and as a new owner right at home. My last few trips have been from home in NY - LongIsland to Indiana. I have had a recurring problem with engine light illuminated then 10 Starts Left message on my display. I don't know is anyone has had this issue yet but it goes further than topping off the DEF in the MB diesel engine.
1. Rolled into Gurley Leep - MB dealer in Mishawaka (South Bend) Indiana area
2. As indicated above engine light illuminated with 10 starts left.
3. Topped off DEF as it was low and reset on tech computer at MB dealer.
note: I discovered new vehicles delivered have MINIMAL DEF inside as they prep.
4. After reset drove home and after 250 miles engine light came on again and same as above happened. YES Frustrating
5. Brought into MB dealer on Long Island and reset and topped off again - nothing on tech computer showed any issue.
6. Next trip to Indiana last week and guess what? Happened again.
7. Yes, equally frustrated once again.
8. MB dealer in Indiana said this has been a significant problem with Sprinters and MB engineers in corporate have not figured out as yet.
9. Indicated they had 80% success rate in changing NOX sensors
10. Gurley Leep could not have been nicer. They troubleshooted problem and lent me a MB SUV to use while there.
11. Now back on Long Island and utilized 6 of the 10 starts allowed to get me back home.
12 MB dealer in NY changed NOX sensors and had them do an oil change just so I have my own baseline on maintenance as a new owner.
13. Picking up today and will keep all on forum updated.
Has anyone else had this issue and has there been any other updates on this??

Crossing my fingers today picking up today... JJ Streaming... I actually miss it
I promise to keep all updated.
JJ-Streamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Welcome to Airforums.

The NOX sensor will hopefully fix your problem.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
When others have had this problem it was the sensors. Hopefully you're"fixed"
Marks71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 07:13 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Mine did the same, came on when I filled up with DEf. First message is poor quality, next was check engine. Replaced nox sensor and fixed the problem. However came back on and dealer told me to clean the air filter and as of now working. Like going to the doctor often they tell you what you don't have.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
DEF 10 Starts

I've had same problem. MB said it was wiring harness damaged by rodents. Don't know if that was all it was or not. Just getting it back from dealer.
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:35 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Had the same issue. MB dealer replaced both NOX sensors. With about 500 miles since, so far, so good.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Got Grand Tour back. Turned out chewed wires were only problem. Freightliner notes said they had to remove grill to get to chewed wires. I couldn't see wires looking behind grill. Does that sound right?

Trying ultrasound and moth balls. We'll see if that helps.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Try some traps.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 PM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobsprinter View Post
Freightliner notes said they had to remove grill to get to chewed wires. I couldn't see wires looking behind grill. Does that sound right?
Could be. Just because the wires can be reached with the grille removed doesn't necessarily mean they can be seen with the grille in place.
Old 10-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Mothballs

Quote:
Got Grand Tour back. Turned out chewed wires were only problem. Freightliner notes said they had to remove grill to get to chewed wires. I couldn't see wires looking behind grill. Does that sound right?

Trying ultrasound and moth balls. We'll see if that helps.
I don't recommend mothballs (Naphthalene) but if you use them anywhere take a moment to think ahead about how you'd remove them. Perhaps placing them in a cut off (foot) section of pantyhose would allow you to retrieve and dispose of them.
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Tulsa , Oklahoma
Dear iaqstuff, other than being able to remove them, is there a reason you don't recommend them? My concern isn't inside the sprinter as much as it is under the hood.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Melville , New York
Update on def

Got vehicle back. Mb replaced box sensors. Will be taking on road this weekend for a short trip. Heading up to Mohunk mountain -upstate ny for the day. Hopefully no engine light will illuminate. Will let you know if does.
So grateful for the community here and your responses. After reading some I hope I don't have to deal with a rodent eating my wiring. Does everyone try to prevent this in some way? I keep my interstate airstream in my driveway
Old 10-12-2015, 06:43 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-Streamin View Post
So grateful for the community here and your responses. After reading some I hope I don't have to deal with a rodent eating my wiring. Does everyone try to prevent this in some way? I keep my interstate airstream in my driveway
Never had a problem with rodents, outside or inside— so far. Perhaps relatively frequent use of the vehicle discourages them?
Old 10-12-2015, 08:59 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Yarnell , Arizona
Mothballs (Naphthalene)

Quote:
Dear iaqstuff, other than being able to remove them, is there a reason you don't recommend them? My concern isn't inside the sprinter as much as it is under the hood.
Bobsprinter: First, the reason I suggest thinking about how you'd remove them is because I believe you will want to remove them long before they volatilize off completely. I also think you'll find that as they off-gas the odor will penetrate into the interior of the coach - depending on pressure differentials caused by temperatures, winds, etc. I have experienced instances where people tossed them into attics and under homes only to later find the odor penetrated their occupancy area and the mothballs were in areas they could no longer access. Second, they are very toxic - but rather than go into the various ways they can become a personal health problem, I'll just refer you to this website - Naphthalene | Technology Transfer Network Air Toxics Web site | US EPA
iaqstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:26 PM   #15
AI owner since June 2013

Farragut , Tennessee
JJ - I am just back from a 1500 road trip where the same code popped up on me about 500 miles in. I was waiting for the countdown to start up but it never did. Curious if your dealers questioned your brand of DEF used? I have been using the Peak Blue Def brand as it is supposed to be fully ISO compliant but two dealers have told me to use the MB brand only. Not sure if the other has caused my issue or not yet but this is the second episode I have had with the NOX system.
FlaBucki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #16

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaBucki View Post
I have been using the Peak Blue Def brand as it is supposed to be fully ISO compliant but two dealers have told me to use the MB brand only.
Of course they told you to use MB brand only! They sell it by the liter and it's imported from Germany, and a full DEF tank of MB brand will cost you well over $200 by the time they cont up all of the 1-liter bottles they put in.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:25 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Melville , New York
I've been to two large dealers one of the Midwest and one in New York. I spoke into teams of technicians and never did the issue of the Brand of def arise. The nox sensors are a well known issue. I was told by MB engineers that they have been working on this problem for sometime. Additionally when it comes to DEF there's not much you can do with the substance itself. It contains one third high-quality urine or urea and two thirds DEionized water.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #18

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
It contains one third high-quality urine or urea and two thirds DEionized water.
It contains no urine at all. I don't know where people got that crazy notion. Urine and DEF both contain urea, but that does not mean that DEF contains urine.

That's like saying that ethanol gasoline contains beer, just because both contain ethyl alcohol. And it's just as incorrect.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Melville , New York
Update on NOX sensors issue

Quick update to the below:
Mercedes Benz replaced NOX sensors as many of you indicated. Took 2 trips since and put on over 2,000 additional miles since. All is well. Thanks for all who helped out this newbie. A Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Quote:
Hi Fellow Interstate/Sprinter Airstreamers: I am new to site and appreciate all the benefits I have received from all of you. I feel welcome and as a new owner right at home. My last few trips have been from home in NY - LongIsland to Indiana. I have had a recurring problem with engine light illuminated then 10 Starts Left message on my display. I don't know is anyone has had this issue yet but it goes further than topping off the DEF in the MB diesel engine.
1. Rolled into Gurley Leep - MB dealer in Mishawaka (South Bend) Indiana area
2. As indicated above engine light illuminated with 10 starts left.
3. Topped off DEF as it was low and reset on tech computer at MB dealer.
note: I discovered new vehicles delivered have MINIMAL DEF inside as they prep.
4. After reset drove home and after 250 miles engine light came on again and same as above happened. YES Frustrating
5. Brought into MB dealer on Long Island and reset and topped off again - nothing on tech computer showed any issue.
6. Next trip to Indiana last week and guess what? Happened again.
7. Yes, equally frustrated once again.
8. MB dealer in Indiana said this has been a significant problem with Sprinters and MB engineers in corporate have not figured out as yet.
9. Indicated they had 80% success rate in changing NOX sensors
10. Gurley Leep could not have been nicer. They troubleshooted problem and lent me a MB SUV to use while there.
11. Now back on Long Island and utilized 6 of the 10 starts allowed to get me back home.
12 MB dealer in NY changed NOX sensors and had them do an oil change just so I have my own baseline on maintenance as a new owner.
13. Picking up today and will keep all on forum updated.
Has anyone else had this issue and has there been any other updates on this??

Crossing my fingers today picking up today... JJ Streaming... I actually miss it
I promise to keep all updated.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:25 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
I'm having fits with my 2011 Duramax. In the past 3,000 miles the engine light has come on four times. First time changed two nox sensors, second time the light was on but no code number,so told to clean the air filter. Third last week got out of town and light came on then latter the exhaust filter needed cleaning. Concerned it would Drate on the road late at night so I carried it to the GM dealer, said it was not warrant item and got charged to turn off the light. Tonight the light came back on for the fourth time and headed back to the dealer again. Getting old and still mad for charging $70.00 to turn off the light and make me feel I am dumb. We will see what happens next.

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote