Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Emergency Brake & Towing Your AI

If you ever have to have your AI towed, release the emergency brake yourself prior to towing. Do NOT let the tow truck driver do it.

It's been discovered that, when our AI had a dead battery and was towed (we were not present when it was towed), the tow truck driver towed it with the e-brake on. He must have lowered the e-brake handle into the "seat swivel" mode, and thought that he'd released the brake.

$1000 damage to our e-brake, rear brakes and pads, and ESP/ABS sensor. All repairable. Heck, we'll have brand new brakes and pads, etc...trying to look on the bright side.

I'm in the process of filing a claim with Mercedes Benz Roadside Assistance. Mercedes dealer sent us lots of photos of the damaged parts.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bummer!

Sorry you've had to deal with that, and thanks for alerting the rest of us.

Maggie
Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I know. Thanks. I realized this could easily happen to others.

At first they thought the ABS/EPS sensor just went bad, so they ordered a new one. But when they went to do the replacement, they found all this damage. And everything coincided with when it was towed.

Hoping we have a smooth settlement with the towing company.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Bummer! If they towed it at more than 30 mph over 30 miles they may have also damaged the transmission, unless they disconnected the drive shaft. Have it checked. This is what the owners manual says:

"It is preferable to have the vehicle
transported on a transporter or trailer instead
of towing it."

"Do not exceed the towing speed of
"31 mph (50 km/h). You could otherwise
damage the transmission."

"For a towing distance of up to 30 miles
(50 km), move the selector lever to
position
N"

"For a towing distance greater than
30 miles(50 km), remove the propeller
shafts to the driven axles."
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If he wasn't smart enuf to release the parking brake, probably isn't going to abide by the 30 mph max edict.

+1 on getting tranny checked.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
If he wasn't smart enuf to release the parking brake, probably isn't going to abide by the 30 mph max edict.
I have to agree on the transmission check, but I can see how the driver might not have known how to release the parking brake.

Most parking brakes, when you pull the lever up the brake is engaged and when you put the lever down it's released. With the Sprinter brake, it's possible to put the lever down without releasing the brake so the seat can swivel— and if the lever was ALREADY down the tow truck driver might not have even realized the brake was on to begin with. With a dead battery there wouldn't have been a dashboard idiot light to show the brake was engaged.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:40 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
What's involved in getting the tranny checked? Who does it (the Mercedes sprinter dealer?) and what do they look for?

I just emailed the service manager at the sprinter shop. I included the quote from the owners manual (thanks, Boxster1971)

This whole situation is so annoying. We had sent two tow truck drivers away when they showed up with regular tow trucks. Kept telling them, and roadside assistance, that we needed a flatbed. When it got later in the day, we gave up and went home, to deal with it the next day. Unbeknownst to us, they had sent a guy back there around 5 or 6pm, and he towed it with a regular truck and dropped it off (night dropped it) at the dealer. Now all these problems.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Yes the dealer would be the one to perform the transmission checks. They could run pressure tests while driving and check the transmission fluid with some lab testing. Not familiar enough with the Mercedes transmission to know what could fail if its towed over 30 mph.

Most two seaters have pull up to release parking brakes, mainly to get the handle out of the way.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:17 AM   #9
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Yes the dealer would be the one to perform the transmission checks. They could run pressure tests while driving and check the transmission fluid with some lab testing. Not familiar enough with the Mercedes transmission to know what could fail if its towed over 30 mph.
If only the Sprinter's engine had a transmission dipstick (the dealer has one, but the engine only has a tube and a plug, unless you buy your own dipstick separately) you could do your own transmission fluid testing. Place several drops of the transmission fluid on a small glass plate. Lay another glass plate on top. Press the two plates together while twisting them in opposite directions. If you see any semicircular scratches on the glass, that means that large metal particles are suspended in the fluid and damage has been done. This is a simple test that I learned while working as a mechanical engineer, courtesy of a subscription to "Machinery Lubrication" magazine. This test is only indicative, not quantitative, but it can be used as a screening to determine if more exacting tests are needed.

Damage while towing usually would not involve overheating, so checking the color of the fluid and checking the dipstick for signs of residue AKA varnish to see if the fluid has overheated typically wouldn't be necessary.
Old 05-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
OK, thanks. I've already emailed the service manager to express our concern. Will insist they do tests.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Wow! What a drag. Sorry to hear this happened to you Guy's.

Did you get towed over 30 miles?

If it still drives fine, I would probably insist on a fluid drain, flush and refill.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 09:26 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Service mngr said they'd drive it and check for computer codes regarding transmission damage.

He said that every sprinter he's ever seen towed in, has had driveshaft disconnected.

I think the warning to not tow over 30mph, etc., is just if the driveshaft is NOT disconnected. Is this correct?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_CA View Post
Wow! What a drag. Sorry to hear this happened to you Guy's.

Did you get towed over 30 miles?

If it still drives fine, I would probably insist on a fluid drain, flush and refill.
Ron, I assume it was over 30 mph. Got towed from Spring Valley, to the dealer in Kearny Mesa.

See my last post regarding driveshaft disconnect vs 30 mph rule..
Old 05-20-2015, 09:33 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Ron...btw....the sprinter division at the dealer is great. Awesome service manager. Feel like we're in good hands there. (famous last words, eh?)
Old 05-20-2015, 09:39 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Agree, the service manager seems like a good guy even though all I have had done was an oil change.

I thought (probably mistaken), that if you towed it over 30 mph but under 30 miles, you were probably OK, thats why I was asking.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 10:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
I think your 30/30 is correct, but I was under the impression that that was just if you did NOT disconnect driveshaft. I'm clueless. Wouldn't know a driveshaft if it fell on my head. Hoping others can clarify this....

MB will do a trans service (drain and change the fluids, not sure what else that includes) for $429. I'd like to know that we need to do it before paying for it and fighting with towing/roadside peeps to reimburse.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
This, from the service manager, regarding doing the trans service:

"It couldn’t hurt as a precaution and if there was any damage caused we might be able to tell when we drop the transmission pan down to change the filter."
Old 05-20-2015, 11:34 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Laie , Hawaii
I learned the hard way after flat-towing a car only 35 miles, and mostly under 45 mph. Apparently that's one of the warnings that is real, not just a liability protection. After driving my newly-acquired car just a few miles following the tow, the transmission failed.
Sharkboards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboards View Post
I learned the hard way after flat-towing a car only 35 miles, and mostly under 45 mph. Apparently that's one of the warnings that is real, not just a liability protection. After driving my newly-acquired car just a few miles following the tow, the transmission failed.
yikes!!
Old 05-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
Service mngr said they'd drive it and check for computer codes regarding transmission damage.

He said that every sprinter he's ever seen towed in, has had driveshaft disconnected.

I think the warning to not tow over 30mph, etc., is just if the driveshaft is NOT disconnected. Is this correct?
Yes 30 mph limit is if driveshaft is NOT disconnected. So question if your Sprinter was towed with driveshaft disconnected like the service manager says. If your driveshaft was disconnected your transmission will be OK.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote