Old 05-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #1

Electrical disconnect

Hello,
We purchased a new interstate last July and I am still learning how the electrical system works. My one question I have is that when the red electrical knob under the back seat is turned to the on position the power to the back is all on and the power switch by the sliding side door remains on in both positions. But if I position the red electrical knob to the off position or turned to the left the switch by the side door shuts the back off like it is intended to function. Does this seem correct? I would think if the red knob is switched to off all systems should be off. This is with the shore electrical not hooked up.

Thanks
Peter

Old 05-03-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by donzi222 View Post
Hello,
We purchased a new interstate last July and I am still learning how the electrical system works. My one question I have is that when the red electrical knob under the back seat is turned to the on position the power to the back is all on and the power switch by the sliding side door remains on in both positions. But if I position the red electrical knob to the off position or turned to the left the switch by the side door shuts the back off like it is intended to function. Does this seem correct? I would think if the red knob is switched to off all systems should be off. This is with the shore electrical not hooked up.
Welcome to the AirForums! And welcome to the exalted ranks of Airstream Interstate owners!

Your Interstate actually has two 12v disconnects for the house batteries. The one in the rear is the main one. The one by the side door is a remote. The sole function of the remote switch is to turn the main switch on and off. If everything is working properly, you should be able to use only the one by the door and forget about the other.

Set both switches the same, either both on or both off. Then operate the remote switch by the door. It should electrically move the switch in back to the same position. If it does, then you're in good shape.

However, moving the main switch manually does NOT cause the remote switch to move; the main doesn't affect the remote, even though the remote does affect the main.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:44 PM   #3

I will check it out and thank you so much!!!
Peter
Old 05-24-2015, 09:45 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Here's a "stupid newbie question:" I am really having trouble finding the Power Center in my 2015 Grand Tour EXT. The manual says it is "housed in a sheet metal enclosure with removable front panel [ ] ...located under the rear lounge." When I look under the rear lounge (from the back) on the driver side, there is a box to the left, with carpet. I have started to pull the carpet away, but don't want to mess it all up without knowing if I am really in the right place.

4 pages later, the 2015 manual says "all Interstate models have the Power Center installed at the base of the bed. Open the decorative door for access to 12-volt fuses and 110 volt breakers." But the photo doesn't look right; there's definitely no decorative door, and I think this part of the manual is out of date.

My AI is new, the dealer walk-thru was fast, and I didn't know the right questions to ask, and the dealer is about an hour away. I will call them Tuesday, and maybe also the factory, but I thought I could get some help in the meantime on this forum.

I think your suggestion about carrying spare fuses is GREAT. Wonder how I know which type to get?

THANKS

Mark
Old 05-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marks71 View Post
Here's a "stupid newbie question:" I am really having trouble finding the Power Center in my 2015 Grand Tour EXT. The manual says it is "housed in a sheet metal enclosure with removable front panel [ ] ...located under the rear lounge." When I look under the rear lounge (from the back) on the driver side, there is a box to the left, with carpet. I have started to pull the carpet away, but don't want to mess it all up without knowing if I am really in the right place.

4 pages later, the 2015 manual says "all Interstate models have the Power Center installed at the base of the bed. Open the decorative door for access to 12-volt fuses and 110 volt breakers." But the photo doesn't look right; there's definitely no decorative door, and I think this part of the manual is out of date.

My AI is new, the dealer walk-thru was fast, and I didn't know the right questions to ask, and the dealer is about an hour away. I will call them Tuesday, and maybe also the factory, but I thought I could get some help in the meantime on this forum.

I think your suggestion about carrying spare fuses is GREAT. Wonder how I know which type to get?
There is no such thing as a stupid newbie question, only stupid newbies who DON'T ask questions!

I can't speak for the Grand Tour, but on most Interstates with the rear lounge, you access the power center from the front of the bed, inside— not from outside through the rear doors. There should be a bottom-hinged panel on the front of the sofa base. Pull it open. On the curb side there will be a big red disconnect switch. Next to that will be a black or gray box. Pull the cover off the box and the fuses will be inside. The inside of the cover should tell you which fuse controls what.

There are also other house-system fuses on the base of the driver's seat, accessible through the open driver's door. Pull up the upholstery skirt, and the box should be visible.

The type of fuses you need are automotive blade-type, standard size (the one in the middle in the image), available at Pep Boys, NAPA, and other automotive equipment retailers. I bought an assortment at Pep Boys that had five of each size.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
On a Grand Tour, the Power Center is located under the driver's side jump seat.
It's worth bearing in mind that Airstream are notoriously behind with keeping the Owner's Manuals updated. However, they did make a good effort with the latest version, which is called the 2016 Owner's Manual. You can download it here:
http://www.airstream.com/wp-content/...Interstate.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 05-24-2015, 01:52 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Chicago , Illinois
Yes thanks to both of you. The new manual (newer than mine) makes clear the new location I think! ... I have to store mine a couple of miles away, and so won't know for sure until I go over there and look at it ... but I"m pretty sure this is it. I remember a kind of a "panel" with hand-'holes' at top and bottom right underneath that jump seat. I guess I'll just pull that panel off and it will be there.

Thanks for info about the fuses. The pics are great. I'm going to pick up or order some.

Both answer very helpful!