Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 AM   #1
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Rosemount , Minnesota
Electric leak - '95 190

I have had my 190 for less than a year and this is my first winter with it... As it will sit for a couple weeks without starting, I've found the battery keeps draining out... I've either recharged by going for a short excursion or using a charger to get it back to full charge, but it still is going out. I'm pretty sure the battery is still good - bought last summer.

Is there some hidden electric device I'm missing? I would like to avoid the whole "pull the fuses" trouble shooting process - it's cold here!

Thanks for any help!

swansome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM   #2
Desert Fox
1985 31' Sovereign
Tucson , Arizona
Smile Hi Mark

Do you have a gas detector on your AS if so it will drain down the batt. Also the engine computor is in stand by and will use some power.
Suggestion disconect the positive on the battery and put a meter between the battery post and the batt cable if you have any voltage reading start pulling fuses one at a time until it voltage reading goes away.
This will tell you what is on.
Regards from Russell sunny and cool Tucson Az.

RUSSELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Which battery, engine or coach?

If it's the engine battery, that's subject to the usual automotive drains. I let mine sit for weeks at a time with no problem at all. If yours isn't handling that it's probably time for a new one.

The coach battery is quite another story:

First, the converters in our B190s will kill them if you aren't careful about monitoring the fluid level and/or disconnecting them if you leave the camper plugged in all the time.

Second, the converter simply may not be charging it enough - they do go bad (mine is putting out 11 volts, for example - I plan to replace it before the season begins).

Third, even when my battery was good, it would drain over time when I had it in storage. I didn't have the time to figure out why, but Russell's idea is the way to do it.
1995 Airstream Classic 30' Excella 1000
2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab with Cummins 6.7L Diesel

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote