Old 06-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
ECU Removal Instructions???

Hello everyone. I am having Renntech upgrade the ECU firmware for me. I need to take out the ECU but surprisingly, I can't find any videos or instructions online for it. For those of you who have done it in the E3500, any pointers would be appreciated before I stick my nose into the hood.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:37 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Sprinter Forums might be a better place to ask this question.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:59 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
When I had my van in for its first Schedule A service, I had the RennTech ECU tune done there. They removed the ECU and overnighted it to RennTech, and when RennTech overnighted it back MB of Baton Rouge reinstalled it.

I couldn't begin to tell you where the ECU is, let alone how to remove and reinstall it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:58 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If I had to guess, it's sitting over the street side front wheel. If there's an Aux battery, then it's probably underneath it.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
If I had to guess, it's sitting over the street side front wheel. If there's an Aux battery, then it's probably underneath it.
Thanks. The only hit online said the same thing and I just looked and that is where it is. They said to remove the battery and its shelf to remove it which is some unexpected fun. Not!
Old 07-04-2016, 03:46 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Now I know why there are no videos of it. By the time someone is done with taking it all out, they are so angry they smash the camera!

The battery came out easily enough. But then you have to take out the battery tray. That SOB has two visible bolts and no less than three nearly invisible ones! Took two out but the thread was behind the fluid reservoir for the windshield wipers for the last one. That had two bolts of its own so I thought it would be easy to take out. But no... There is some kind of mechanism underneath that holds down. The two screws allowed me to pull the tank far enough back to unscrew the last bolt holding the tray. Of course as I take out the tray, the bolt falls and goes where bolts go not to be found again . Even if I found it, I don't know how I can screw it back in.

Took me two hours to do a 10 minute job. Sweat like a pig. Used just about every tool in my toolbox.

And get this, once you take the tray out, there is nothing but two plastic tabs holding the ECU!!! No bolts, no nothing. Push them apart and it pops out! Should have had this guy design the battery tray.

We curse Airstream frequently. I think on this front Mercedes deserves some.

Will be shipping the ECU off tomorrow. Hopefully I can back to a working machine before end of the week.

Grumpy Amir....
Old 07-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Just for anyone searching and landing on this thread...

Had Renntech do the firmware upgrade in the ECU. Putting things back together was just as painful as taking it out. After many more curse words and giving up on putting one of the bolts back in, she was all back together.

Boy was it worth it. The machine is transformed. When you need power, 99% of the time you have reserve power to get it. Drove through Mount Rainier last two days and it sailed through it with authority. Could easily keep up with any traffic. Don't remember any occasion of having to floor it. Light to medium touch of the accelerator gets you all the power you need. Before that I had to keep flooring it and holding my breath before I would merge in front of traffic and such. Not now.

The total cost with shipping both ways is about $1,150. Absolutely essential upgrade in my opinion. Here is the link: http://www.renntechmercedes.com/inde...p-422tq-detail
Old 07-22-2016, 05:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, my MB service advisor informed me that when they do software upgrades, it wipes the tune. Might check w/ your guy if you take it to MB service or anyone that might do an upgrade.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
That's a very impressive increase in horsepower and torque and it brings the power more or less into line with my diesel VW Touareg which will probably be bought back from me eventually over the dirty exhaust fiasco. I was wondering whether this upgrade is sanctioned by Mercedes in any way?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:54 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
I was wondering whether this upgrade is sanctioned by Mercedes in any way?
Mercedes Benz of Baton Rouge removed my Interstate's ECU and sent it to RennTech, then reinstalled the ECU when RennTech returned it.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKDUDE View Post
That's a very impressive increase in horsepower and torque and it brings the power more or less into line with my diesel VW Touareg which will probably be bought back from me eventually over the dirty exhaust fiasco.
From the research I did, the reason such large increase is possible is because it is a turbo diesel.

Quote:
I was wondering whether this upgrade is sanctioned by Mercedes in any way?
Not by the parent company. But if you look up dealers in your area, 90% are Mercedes Dealers! Sadly in our area it is not.