Old 07-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
AS needs to figure out a way to work in a way they can incorporate the square 4" bumper tube that you find on SOBs into their bumped. They're great for storing the slinky in.

I just finished brainstorming how to retrofit one in my 79 safari bumper.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
AS needs to figure out a way to work in a way they can incorporate the square 4" bumper tube that you find on SOBs into their bumped. They're great for storing the slinky in.
A bit of Airstream Interstate history
Interstates only came with slinkies in the T1N models. When the switch was made to the NCV3 Sprinter-based Interstates, Airstream also switched to macerator pumps discharging through a hose on a built-in reel. This was one of the first in a series of many modifications over the years that added complexity and price without adding much in the way of utility.

So Airstream doesn't really need to figure out a way to incorporate bumper storage of slinkies in Interstates that haven't even used slinkies in nearly ten years. And for owners of older T1N Interstates, I think the price of an aftermarket storage bumper that doesn't and can't match the lines of the van would be more than the problem is worth. There are plenty of ways to provide concealed slinky storage underneath, if one is willing to get creative on placement.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Project completed! We discovered an easy way to extend the original Valterra carrier beyond Airstream's mounting plate at which the smaller version used to stop. This minimized the work, reduced the need to purchase new hardware, and prevented new holes from having to be drilled in the chassis. Details in the blog post. Sorry about the crummy pic. Sun angle is still very low this morning

VALTERRA DUMP HOSE CARRIER MODIFICATION FOR THE AIRSTREAM INTERSTATE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1-IMG_5494.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	267055  
Old 07-17-2016, 07:17 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Thanks for the great write up! We need to do the same and this is very helpful!

What length hose are you able to carry now?

Thanks
Katy
Old 07-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Thanks for the great write up! We need to do the same and this is very helpful!

What length hose are you able to carry now?

Thanks
Katy
Now there's a good question. The hose I show in the photos... I believe that was our previous owner's home-made solution to the tiny on-board hose. As such, I don't know that it's a standard off-the-shelf length (and there's no brand name that I can find). I CAN tell you that it will lie on the ground at 11 feet without contracting under its own power, and I can extend it to 15 feet without feeling like I am over-stretching to the point where it wants to snap back on me. And it compresses down to about 36 inches.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Since flared end fits inside the existing tube, does the slinky want to hang up on it or did you have to bevel the end to prevent this?

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:01 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Since flared end fits inside the existing tube, does the slinky want to hang up on it or did you have to bevel the end to prevent this?
Good catch! Yes, I beveled the ends of both the pipe and the drain plug. I'm not sure how much it helps but I did know that I wouldn't be able to bevel the edge after assembly.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Post-beveling, I yanked it in and out several times without snags. But if one were to occur, a bit of jiggle and twist would likely resolve it. Whatever lip or overlap area might be remaining is very small.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Hey all,

Here is our solution to the short stock sewer tube holder. We bought a 4.5" diameter by 6 ft. long aluminum tube (http://www.speedymetals.com/), end cap, and hinged door (Http://www.Americanvan.com/). We then attached the completed tube onto the street side running board with hose clamp brackets. The assembly holds 2 10-foot long stinky slinkies.

Paul

Name:	IMG_0463.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	267357

Name:	IMG_0464.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	267358
WBCCI #5182
AIR # 6050
RossFam05BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:15 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Here's what our hose looks like when fully extended, the hose that is now accommodated by the modified carrier. Some dump stations and clean-outs are not located in convenient places. There's no way I could get by with a hose shorter than this. Even WITH this, I've had to throw the shore line on top of it to weigh it down and prevent it from snapping back once the wastewater load is released.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-IMG_5672.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	536.0 KB
ID:	267541  
Old 07-23-2016, 04:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Oh incidentally, ^^ that pic that I posted above... that's also why I always carry a collapsible bucket. Some operators don't want to put their water hoses next to their dump stations, because they know full well that some fine RV owner is going to bury the water hose inside their stinky slinky to wash it out. And then the next poor fool is going to come through and fill their fresh water tank with the same hose. Eeeewwww!!! So this operator had installed their hose far enough away to prevent this. Which means I had to run with many buckets of water, because I was triple-rinsing both of the tanks as well as the hose.