Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
Dually Valves, Satellite Radio Issues

I picked up my new Interstate Twin on Friday and had a set of Dually Valves installed yesterday. Just for drill I had the tech check the front wheel balance and the fronts as well as all 4 rears were out of balance. You folks with newer interstates may want to consider getting a full wheel balance.
I havea TST TPMS system ready to install. I got 8 sensors as I pull a small enclosed trailer with my Triglide in it. Seems like a lot of peace of mind knowing all 8 tire's pres & temp.

On another note, my Sat radio won't activate. I just get the preview channel even though they have sent the signal several times. Anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks for any feed back.

Bill, Central Point, Oregon, Arroy Grande, CA
2014 Interstate Twin
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Completely clear view of the sky with no trees or buildings, like a mall parking lot when signal is sent?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:11 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21bill View Post
On another note, my Sat radio won't activate. I just get the preview channel even though they have sent the signal several times. Anyone else had a similar problem? Thanks for any feed back.
Check that they have the right serial number on the account. My Interstate came with a Kenwood unit with Sirius XM satellite radio. But then then some vile miscreant broke into it the very first night (before I had a chance to install an alarm) and boosted it. The replacement had a different serial number, and I got the same thing; good reception on the preview station, but nothing else.

So, if they've sent the activation signal several times, and you still don't have it, my best guess is that it was sent to the wrong receiver based on serial number.
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #4
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Thanks for the feedback. The only thing that came in the coach that had the radio serial number was a lid that was torn off the box that the sat radio probably came in. The lid had a lable on it with the serial preprinted. I was planning to call the factory on Monday to see it they had records indicating which serial no radio was installed in my van. If the serial number they have matches mine, the next thing is to check the number on the Sat radio module itself but I have no idea how to access it. I suppose I may be headed back to the dealer.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 AM   #5

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. The only thing that came in the coach that had the radio serial number was a lid that was torn off the box that the sat radio probably came in. The lid had a lable on it with the serial preprinted. I was planning to call the factory on Monday to see it they had records indicating which serial no radio was installed in my van. If the serial number they have matches mine, the next thing is to check the number on the Sat radio module itself but I have no idea how to access it. I suppose I may be headed back to the dealer.
My Interstate is in the shop for warranty repairs so I can't step through the process at the moment, but you should be able to find a menu item through the touch screen that allows you to view the Sirius XM serial number.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Thanks for the feedback, I was finally able to get the radio ID to display on the screen and sure enough, the written documentation had the wrong ID no. Finally got my Sat radio up and running on the free trial. Now, can anyone help me figure out how to access additional presets. I only show 6 on the screen and I'm positive I saw a screen with additional presets while playing with the radio.
Thanks again,
Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 05:31 PM   #7
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Sat radio issues

I was finally able to locate the additional presets. It just takes us old guys a bit longer than most of you young guys. My next question is does anyone know where the fresh water tank drain is located? The manual says there is a drain valve on the bottom of the tank but the only thing on the bottom of my tank is a plug. Was in the process of sanatizing my tank and wound up pumping the water into the grey tank then dumping it. Pain in the a__. Also, has anyone installed a trailer brake controller? Is the coach fully prewired for a controller or does it have to be hard wired?
Thanks in advance.
Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #8

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
My next question is does anyone know where the fresh water tank drain is located? The manual says there is a drain valve on the bottom of the tank but the only thing on the bottom of my tank is a plug.
That's it. Not a real valve, just a plug. Be gentle with it; it's plastic and the threads strip out easily if you get it crooked.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:12 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Orange County , California
I just bought a 1" socket to undo that plug.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Thank you Protagonist, I was beginning to suspect that was the case.
Bill
Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
FWIW, my fresh water tank plug was a 15/16" hex.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
FWIW, my fresh water tank plug was a 15/16" hex.
My error, checked today when draining and the plug is 1 1/8" hex.

My CRS kicked in the other nite I guess.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I have a brake controller but I had the dealer install it before delivery so I can't help with the wiring, though I think it WAS pre-wired. I can tell you that I am very happy with where we put it. I was worried that it would be in the way when pivoting out of the drivers seat to go to the rear, but I've never hit it. It's tucked up under the shifter where it's out of the way but I can still reach it while driving if I want to manually actuate the trailer brakes. Let me know if you want a pic of the install.
russ240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #14
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
1) What Brake Controller do you recommend? Is there a huge difference? I see REESE for $31 and Tekonsha 90195 P3 for $150; pretty big spread in pricing!

2) Is it worth me upgrading my 2014 Interstate EXT suspension to the Airbags? It is only my wife and I 99% of the time. We'll be driving coast to coast on most trips. Not hauling a trailer most of the time; but when I do it will be close to the 5,000# max with MCY & ATVs in it.

3) Suggestion for Cargo Box for Hitch? Christmas trip includes full van with 6 passengers on a 5 day trek (stay with family not sleeping 6 in the van) so I know I'll need additional cargo room for the luggage. My old Suburban barely held it behind the 3rd row; and the AS has less room than that did.

Thanks in Advance!
Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I have the Tekonsha P3 and like it, I have had older model Tekonsha's on other vehicles in the past and they have always worked well. Can't comment on the Reese.

I've found the Koni shocks a worth while upgrade. Particularly the rears. Can't comment on the airbags.

I like our GearSpace34 from Let's Go Aero, it's huge which is what we needed. The landing gear is a little flimsy but if your careful you won't hurt it and it's better than not having it.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #16
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ240 View Post
I like our GearSpace34 from Let's Go Aero, it's huge which is what we needed. The landing gear is a little flimsy but if your careful you won't hurt it and it's better than not having it.
Can you open the doors when you slide the GearSpace34 out? I measured the 20" off and it doesn't look Like I'll be able to access the rear while its mounted.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
norman , Oklahoma
I can get them open just enough to be frustrating, but not all the way. I can generally reach in and snag what I need, but the door won't open far enough to get anything big out of there. I am pleased with how easy the unit slides out even when fully loaded though. I thought it would be onerous with a load in it, but it's not.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
that is what I figured; with mine being and EXT I'll have ALLOT of stuff behind the couch (unless I decide to load it ALL in the box; and leave the King Size bed made out. but as soon as I do that I'll need something in the box. . . . hmm may end up going with a 16 cf swing out model then - at least I can get 1 door all the way open then. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #19
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Installed the TST TPMS system yesterday. Impressed with how user friendly it is. Mounted the monitor on a ProClip mount. Bought the TPMS system from Info Tech RV Solutions who seemed to have the best price for the TST system. I also replaced the water tank drain plug with a valve. I used a 3/4" pvc street elbow and bushed the female end down to 1/2" and fitted a 1/2" pvc ball valve. I mounted the valve with the handle on top so things didn't hang down much. Clean installation. Had dealer install a Prodigy P2 brake controller for my small, single axle trailer that I pull my Harley Triglide in. Works very well and simple to learn. (comes with a DVD). So far no bugs with the new 14 Interstate Twin. Thanks all for the help and advise.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
c21bill,

These systems look good to me. Did you get the 507 or the 510 system? Standard or flow-through sensors? What were the reasons for your choices?

Thanks,
Wayne
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote