Old 08-31-2013, 07:13 AM   #29
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Has anyone put a meter to he plug?

Is everyone using a 7 to 4 adapter for hookup?

Ill put a multimeter to check mine later today, my 12v probe (the kind with ground clip and light bulb) didn't illuminate when checking, but it has 12v bulb, not led. The led will illuminate with as little as 3v.

Live in the Moment and enjoy today.
MILATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Reference brake controller...I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy for install but the dealer told me my 2013 Interstate had an integral brake controller and did not need to buy one. Another guy with an EXT said the same thing and he has been doing a lot of towing!!!
Now I am confused???

I replaced my rear passenger glass quarter panel. Had to remove 3 rivets to swing out the window arms and re-rivet. Cost about $300 to replace. Still vacuuming glass.

1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #31
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Has anyone put a meter to he plug?

Ill put a multimeter to check mine later today, my 12v probe (the kind with ground clip and light bulb) didn't illuminate when checking, but it has 12v bulb, not led. The led will illuminate with as little as 3v.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-26484473.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	194790

Confused....

Shows 11v with nothing on, key removed.

Name:	image-1606404418.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	194791

Then 12.75 with lights on and engine running. (duh - alternator) same voltage present, with or without lights on.

Is this what it should be?
Old 09-03-2013, 01:30 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
1st I've heard of an integral brake controller. The interstates came partially prewired for a brake controller but I have a very late model interstate which didn't come with a brake controller so I had a P2 installed by dealer.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
2013 Interstate Coach
Opelika , Alabama
Hmmm....don't have my IS with me to check but should have voltage on brake control wiring when brakes pressed.
1965 17' Caravel (R2D2)
hamiltonmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
More on LED Trailer/Carrier lights

I also have two white LED lights on my carrier to illuminate the relocated license plate. During our recent west coast trip I noticed that the white license plate LEDS would strobe at a high rate when I pressed the brakes. First noticed it in the rear view camera and thought it was an anomy of camera. Then I checked it closer and found that sure enough -- using the brakes caused the strobing. I'm using a 7 to 4 pin adapter. This was just weird.

Here is a shot of my custom carrier we used for our 6 week trip in July and August -- over 8,000 miles Maryland to Seattle and returing via Canada.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0104.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	195303  
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 AM   #35

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
I have now heard from multiple sources that LED vehicle lights are not recommended for use with the MB Sprinter and for that matter most German vehicles. LEDs are okay for house lighting in the AI because they are not on the vehicle power system, but LADs are verboten for vehicle lighting and your license plate lights are plugged into the vehicle lighting circuit.

The reason I was given was there is a low parasitic voltage in the vehicle lighting system that is enough to light LEDs but not incandescent bulbs. But from your experience there is obviously something more going on that is not standard U.S. practice as well. The strobing you have mentioned would not be noticeable with incandescent bulbs but would show with LEDs because of their faster response rate. At least there is an easy fix for your license plate lights — simply swap the LEDs out for incandescent bulbs.
Old 09-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I wonder why they don't correct the parasitic voltage problem.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #37

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Since it is apparently common on German vehicles (even if manufactured in the U.S.) I suspect they have an engineering reason for its being there. The Germans are not noted for overlooking details.

Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #38
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
I have now heard from multiple sources that LED vehicle lights are not recommended for use with the MB Sprinter and for that matter most German vehicles. LEDs are okay for house lighting in the AI because they are not on the vehicle power system, but LADs are verboten for vehicle lighting and your license plate lights are plugged into the vehicle lighting circuit.
The only LEDs that I installed on my Interstate are the dome lights/map lights on the overhead console in front. No problem with those.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:57 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I guess they could be using the current draw as a way to monitor for open circuits.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #40
Trying to Retire

Decatur , Illinois
Lol and the drained battery as a way to close any open circuits (lol - sorry couldn't resist)

I can't imagine someone who isn't a "handyman - or woman) owning one of these! I've fixed more piddily stuff on this $100k van than I ever did on anything else I owned. But I wouldn't trade it. I think I put more value in the AS than I should - I'm sure the tow trailers are amazing.

Right now just setting under the awning at a folding Coleman table, working on Q4 projections. I can't imagine a better office anywhere in the world!

Sweet tea, sunshine, birds chirping - why didn't I do this 5 years ago?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:15 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
gresham , Oregon
Amazing tow trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILATV View Post
Lol and the drained battery as a way to close any open circuits (lol - sorry couldn't resist)

I can't imagine someone who isn't a "handyman - or woman) owning one of these! I've fixed more piddily stuff on this $100k van than I ever did on anything else I owned. But I wouldn't trade it. I think I put more value in the AS than I should - I'm sure the tow trailers are amazing.

Right now just setting under the awning at a folding Coleman table, working on Q4 projections. I can't imagine a better office anywhere in the world!

Sweet tea, sunshine, birds chirping - why didn't I do this 5 years ago?
Yes the tow trailers I've Owned (two), have been amazing with the amount of repairs needed. A classic and flying cloud. For the money,they are not the most trouble free. That said,the FC was the most comfortable rv I've owned. The work done by northwest adventures in Portland,Or was well done and professional.
Pete
Old 09-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
No LEDs on Mercedes Sprinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I guess they could be using the current draw as a way to monitor for open circuits.
You have it right for all the lights on the exterior of vehicle. The Sprinter computer will warn you when a light is out. There are LED bulbs available for Sprinter that have a resistor built in to assembly to draw the same current as an incandescent bulb.

But I didn't think this would apply to the trailer plug. Oh well live an lean.

Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote