Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 AM   #21

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Talking

You probably don't have time to do this before your trip, but the first few times I took my AI into strong crosswinds it was a white knuckle experience interspersed with moments of sheer terror. Then I replaced the stock shock absorbers and struts with Konis and since then crosswinds are no problem at least until the winds get up into the 40 mph or higher range. Even driving across west Texas and New Mexico at 75 mph is no problem if the winds are below 30 to 35 mph. To be honest, since installing the Konis, my 2013 AI is little different in strong winds than a full size sedan and better than most pickups.

When crosswinds get too high slowing down helps and even better is pulling into a rest stop until the winds moderate. You may arrive late, but that beats being exhausted and terrified or worse.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #22
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
You probably don't have time to do this before your trip, but the first few times I took my AI into strong crosswinds it was a white knuckle experience interspersed with moments of sheer terror. Then I replaced the stock shock absorbers and struts with Konis and since then crosswinds are no problem at least until the winds get up into the 40 mph or higher range. Even driving across west Texas and New Mexico at 75 mph is no problem if the winds are below 30 to 35 mph. To be honest, since installing the Konis, my 2013 AI is little different in strong winds than a full size sedan and better than most pickups.

When crosswinds get too high slowing down helps and even better is pulling into a rest stop until the winds moderate. You may arrive late, but that beats being exhausted and terrified or worse.
We have the air-ride suspension option. Hopefully that will help! I do so appreciate the experience and wisdom of you all!
VermontKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsbox View Post
This is pretty much we had to do. Left NH Jan 3rd and ran smack dab into the blizzard. Wind blowing us all over the road. slowed down to forty and it was still pretty hairy. Ended up pulling off at a PA welcome center to sit the storm out.

Didn't seem to bother the truckers any though.

I describe our adventure.

https://streamin-in-shiny.com/2018/0...lone-in-shiny/

Larry
Shortly after reading your (terrifying!) account of your trip, this came across my news feed.

"Nor'easter to Become Bomb Cyclone: Fierce winds, flooding, snow and coastal havoc on tap."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/to...cid=spartanntp

Pretty sure we'll now leave Saturday instead of Friday! This is a very fast moving system and we built in a buffer day when planning our trip so we should be fine. And safe!
Old 03-01-2018, 12:17 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
We live in Stowe VT - Pete's RV is the new AS dealer in Burlington - good people.(I think we have met each other here on Forums) We head to FL in April. I-89 north to Burlington, Rt. 7 south to Rt. 4 West to I-87 South to I-84 in Newburgh NY - west to Scranton PA - I-81 south to I-77 south to I-26 to I-95. Tomorrow, Friday, Mar. 2 does not look good with the wind, rain, snow combo here and southern NE. We had similar conditions a couple years ago on the I-81 part of this trip thru the mountains of PA - just slow it down as needed. If it's horrible - get off the highway and take rest break. The bad weather will end. Safe journeys.
VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2023 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Swanton , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by VT Wanderer View Post
We live in Stowe VT - Pete's RV is the new AS dealer in Burlington - good people.(I think we have met each other here on Forums) We head to FL in April. I-89 north to Burlington, Rt. 7 south to Rt. 4 West to I-87 South to I-84 in Newburgh NY - west to Scranton PA - I-81 south to I-77 south to I-26 to I-95. Tomorrow, Friday, Mar. 2 does not look good with the wind, rain, snow combo here and southern NE. We had similar conditions a couple years ago on the I-81 part of this trip thru the mountains of PA - just slow it down as needed. If it's horrible - get off the highway and take rest break. The bad weather will end. Safe journeys.
Hi, yes! We have "met" here before. We are waiting until Saturday to leave. Maybe if we had more than 250 miles (of experience) on our 2018 Interstate we would give it a go on Friday. We also have two midsize older dogs who have been pretty nervous on our local journeys so we want them to be as relaxed as possible.

Pete's RV does indeed carry the Airstream line. I had noticed trailers there last fall, but no Class B's. I called right after I read your post. They started carrying the Interstates in December (or maybe it was January). The conversation with the service department was NOT encouraging. More on that later.
Old 03-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
I have been very nervous driving in high wind given what I have read here. But so far, have not felt any danger while driving it that way. It is possible we are not getting the real dangerous gusts people are talking about.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #27
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
I have been very nervous driving in high wind given what I have read here. But so far, have not felt any danger while driving it that way. It is possible we are not getting the real dangerous gusts people are talking about.
What speed are you normally driving?

I felt this during my first trip, but I was doing not recommended speeds (meaning, I was going to darn fast... live and learn)... as soon as I slowed down everything was fine.

Love this silver bullet
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:10 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
What speed are you normally driving?
Depends on the road/speed limit of course. Usually between 60 and 70 mph.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:56 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm View Post
Weather is something we always have to watch for and be prepared to make adjustments for.

Heavy rain, high wind, freezing precipitation...if it feels unstable underfoot, and slowing down doesn’t resolve it, pull off and wait it out.

Getting off the major interstates in high winds often helps a great deal, too...find an alternate route, and proceed more slowly on.

Maggie
Old 03-03-2018, 12:41 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The real answer to driving in high wind conditions: Just DON’T!

Getting someplace is optional. Avoiding accidents is mandatory...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:29 PM   #31

Seattle , Washington
Does anyone have an opinion on how different a 4x4 model will feel in the crosswinds due to the extra height. Yesterday I test drove a 4x4 2018 GT (w/o Air Ride) and a 2wd 2018 GT (w/ Air Ride). No question I will want Air Ride after that comparison, but I'm really on the fence about 4wd. I don't want to sacrifice stability on windy highways for the rare occasion when I would need 4wd, but if the extra 4" doesn't make that much of a difference, I may spring for the 4wd. Thanks for any advice!
landl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by landl View Post
Does anyone have an opinion on how different a 4x4 model will feel in the crosswinds due to the extra height. Yesterday I test drove a 4x4 2018 GT (w/o Air Ride) and a 2wd 2018 GT (w/ Air Ride). No question I will want Air Ride after that comparison, but I'm really on the fence about 4wd. I don't want to sacrifice stability on windy highways for the rare occasion when I would need 4wd, but if the extra 4" doesn't make that much of a difference, I may spring for the 4wd. Thanks for any advice!
I'm not sure we're going to know the answer to that (which is an excellent question btw) until MB gets their collective @#$% together and gets all of their new(er) 3500 chassis updated with the CrossWind Assist they were supposed to have shipped with. That tech could dramatically change how these tall vans handle in the wind, so any conclusions we come to before that update may be totally invalid after it arrives.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote