Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
How often to use drain valve lubricant?

I have a 2017 Interstate with a macerator pump. Someone recommended I use Thetford RV Drain Valve Lubricant. The directions say use after every dump, which seems a little excessive to me.

Also since I have separate gray and black tanks, would it be sufficient to put the lubricant in only one tank, or maybe alternate them?

Any thoughts?
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:06 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
If they stay wet all the time then no reason to use the stuff. Water will lube the seals when they are being used a lot. I would think the lube would be useful if you are going to drain the tanks and let it sit for a year or two. Most likely you could accomplish the same thing by using a few squirts of food grade silicone spray down the tank and in the toilet valve. I expect the toilet valve would benefit more by the lube than the tank valves that are rarely used. Most silicone sprays have solvents in them that you don't want in your tanks. You can also use the spray to lube tambor slides etc. It would be good around door and window seals as well. Also good to water proof fabrics like tents and awnings.

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Grade-Sil...pray+lubricant

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Drain valve lubricant for Interstate?

(I posted this in the Airstream plumbing forum but didn't get a response relevant to the Interstate, so reposting here.)

Someone recommended I use Thetford RV Drain Valve Lubricant. The directions say use after every dump, which seems a little excessive to me.

Also since I have separate gray and black tanks, would it be sufficient to put the lubricant in only one tank, or maybe alternate them?

Do you use this or a similar product?
Old 05-24-2017, 08:33 AM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I have used it in my shower drain which had not been draining properly after periods of non-use. Not enough time has gone by to know whether it was effective. Of course, that will make its way to the gray valve, as well.

I used some I was given in both tanks in my former Classic. I never had any valve problems, but it is impossible to know whether it made any difference.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I think this post is mixing two different issues - the shower drain valve (hepvo trap) and the tank drain valve. While I suppose this lubricant might keep the hepvo trap from sticking closed, I think the intended purpose of the lubricant is the grey and black tank drain valves - which are manual or electric knife valves.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I think this post is mixing two different issues - the shower drain valve (hepvo trap) and the tank drain valve. While I suppose this lubricant might keep the hepvo trap from sticking closed, I think the intended purpose of the lubricant is the grey and black tank drain valves - which are manual or electric knife valves.
I think that is the purpose, along with lubricating the macerator itself. So my question is whether real people use this stuff regularly, or is it overkill unless there is a problem.
Old 05-26-2017, 01:30 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tega Cay , South Carolina
This is the first time I have read this. Am interested if it is necessary and works
gghayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Argyle , Texas
It was my experience that the lubricant used inside the tanks did not help. Before each trip, I try to remember to use steel wool, polishing the pull rods - or whatever the proper name for them is - themselves, then coat with PB Blaster, W. D. 40 or whatever the auto parts supply folks tell me has come on the market. It is still not the easiest chore - but best thing I have found. Perhaps using both would be beneficial to the interior of the tanks.
Betty Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Thanks to all for the above feedback. Given the response so far, I'm concluding that drain valve lubricant is not a routine and frequent additive to most people's tanks. And that I can skip this unless I suspect a problem in future. Please correct me if I'm wrong.