Old 06-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #29
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
But a quick call the Airstream would answer the question.
Good luck with that. In my experience, MB and Airstream are both fond of passing the buck to each other, or to a third party in the case of installed components (i.e. Onan, etc.). The perennial curse of the conversion van.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:34 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
A lot depends on who you talk to. I've had plenty of issues that AS dealt with and the person I found most helpful was Randy, who never passed the buck or made excuses. I spent a week up there sitting around and observed quite a lot.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
You are correct it would be an AS issue if it was an install or mod done by AS to the base vehicle. Jim
Old 06-11-2015, 04:11 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
san francisco , California
I think we are getting somewhere. The first person at Airstream denied any knowledge, but then as per gmillerok1 I was able to get ahold of Randy who responded:

"Yes in 2011 we wired the units a little different than today. I believe that hooked to the starter and goes to the battery separator which will connect the house and chassis battery when the engine is turned over. I have attached a drawing that may help."

I've attached the PDF he sent. This pretty much confirms what others thought in that it is tied to the battery separator.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2011 Interstate.pdf (437.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-11-2015, 06:45 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcmick View Post
I think we are getting somewhere. The first person at Airstream denied any knowledge, but then as per gmillerok1 I was able to get ahold of Randy who responded:

"Yes in 2011 we wired the units a little different than today. I believe that hooked to the starter and goes to the battery separator which will connect the house and chassis battery when the engine is turned over. I have attached a drawing that may help."

I've attached the PDF he sent. This pretty much confirms what others thought in that it is tied to the battery separator.
I have that copy of that schematic and I missed that connection on it. Maybe because it's a D size drawing reduced to an A size drawing.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
I have the same drawing and that's why I asked about the white/brn wire.
It appears that what should be white/brn is grey instead installed. Unfortunately, it refers to another drawing, which I also have, and that drawing refers to 95292251 Ref ST-1, which I don't.

Here's a reference to the battery isolator that may help:

http://www.precisioncircuitsinc.com/...nager-RevF.pdf

Take a look at the isolator terminal where the ignition wire is supposed to go. Is it the same grey color? That's a good clue. If so, check the voltage on that terminal as well as the chassis battery terminal with the ignition off and then on with a voltmeter. Do they change? If not, then it's not hooked up. Hook it up and try it again.

You should hear a "click" when the ignition is started connecting the two battery banks. Again, no click, no connection, as the battery isolator wouldn't know the ignition is on at all.

If you leave the house batteries connected and if there is a draw while driving down the road and they become discharged, then the isolator is likely not connecting the two banks because it is not connected to the ignition switch (in my case, they were not charging because AS installer's only hand tightened the bolt where the cable connects to the chassis battery bus-giving inconsistent states until it became so loose no connection was made at all).

As with anything electrical, there are certain risks if you are wrong when blinding trying things, so if you are not willing to take the risk (and the cost to fix any damage), take it to a dealer and have them troubleshoot it for you and fix it. Take any advice here with that in mind. I've made many a thing worse not knowing what I'm doing a few times myself. There are also other tools that can determine if that wire is the same on the isolator but they are kind of pricey for a one time use. Your dealer likely has one he can use (or should have) to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwcmick View Post

Old 06-13-2015, 02:57 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
thanks for the words of caution. my plan is to pull up the soft, look at the wire color, listen for a click when starting and go from there.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:46 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Well, I don't know what to say. Pulled up the couch and removed the back panel. There is a gray wire connected to the separator BUT the separator is clicking on which the vehicle is started and clicks off a bit after the vehicle has stopped. The voltages do go up to right around 14. Frankly, at this point I'm inclined to do nothing. Everything seems to work on the coach and I'm hesitant to fix something that isn't broken.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:34 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
Try pulling the grey wire off the isolator and start the engine. Does it still click on? I tend to think, if you have a 2011, that that wire was supposed to go to the isolator and starter. The real test is on the road. If you leave the fridge on, and drive down the road for an extended period, check to see if the batteries stay charged. If not, that wire needs likely needs to be connected to the starter.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:37 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerok1 View Post
Try pulling the grey wire off the isolator and start the engine. Does it still click on? I tend to think, if you have a 2011, that that wire was supposed to go to the isolator and starter. The real test is on the road. If you leave the fridge on, and drive down the road for an extended period, check to see if the batteries stay charged. If not, that wire needs likely needs to be connected to the starter.
But also keep in mind that Airstream has made wiring changes within model years. It might be wired like the 2012 models.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:59 PM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2011 Interstate Coach
Muskogee , Oklahoma
That's true. You never really know how they wired them, at least before they started giving the schematics lately. Even the ones I have state "Obsolete" on two of the pages!