Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #1
MeandMB

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Selbyville , Delaware
Cool Dogs

Folks any issues while traveling with your pets in your Interstate. Plan on long term travel with both dogs (Lab and Chihuahua). A bit concerned about leaving them in the van in urban areas for short periods of time. Going to install a security system (probability Viper) into the van with an app for my smartphone to notify me ASAP of any irregularities. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am a retired law enforcement type and try to be aware of my surroundings. Removing that from the equation would like your input.
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have found keeping the dogs in a crate during transit and when are out and about is a must. It keeps them from climbing on everything, and barking like crazy at people. I even keep them my trailer while we are traveling. Some folks have even built in their dog kennels into the cabinets.

. I have considered getting dog boxes for the back of the truck. I'm sure they would love that much better, but it just looks so redneck.. (But nothing wrong with that!). Just not my style..
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Ventilation is key. Especially in hot temps. With the tip-out windows open, your MaxxAir fan running full blast, and a good-quality windshield sunshade, you should be able to keep the inside temperature about the same as the outside temp while parked (within about 5° in my experience), so you don't cook your animals if you have to leave them inside for a while. But if they bark when someone walks by, expect to be accused of animal abuse anyway because passersby will think your Interstate gets as hot inside as does a regular car.

Now if you could get an indoor/outdoor thermometer that will send the temps to your phone…
Old 10-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
My biggest concern with leaving dogs alone in any vehicle (including RV's) is that there is a plan for keeping them cool during the warm months. The interior can reach fatal temperatures in a very short time.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Some parks have size limits others have bans on aggressive breads. Call ahead to make sure you will be welcome.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We travel with Lily for months at a time, leave her for brief periods in the Interstate in towns and cities without any problems.

She does bark if someone comes too close, or another dog goes by, but we figure that keeps people away. We have never had a security system, nor felt the need for one.

If it is hot, and we are out and about, we don't leave her inside at all unless we find shade....then open the windows and turn the ceiling vent on high, and she is fine for short periods.

If we can't find shade, we just don't leave her. If there is something we both want to see, we take turns, one of us staying in the rig.....running, with the AC on.

Having Lily these past three years has changed our travel some, but we do fine. She is a joy to us both, wouldn't be without her.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #7
MeandMB

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Selbyville , Delaware
Thanks to all for your input

Joe
MeandMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It's not an unusual situation anymore to see stories in our area of folks rescuing dogs from vehicles that are left unattended. Folks are pretty sensitive about the plight of overheated dogs and there are instances of smashed windows, local animal control, and police responding to calls from citizens seeing animals in vehicles on sunny warm days.

Typically in the Airstream we turn on the air conditioning if we are in the summer months and set the Fantastic fans as a backup in case we might have a power failure. Dog's almost universally sleep while we are gone. We carry crates and we keep them in their crates to prevent them from going to the windows and barking at campground activity. On the road, they travel in the van and we do not leave them unattended if stopping for gas, food, or bathroom breaks. One of us is always there with them.

So use caution here. My advice is to just not do it in your tow vehicle.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
We travel with two wire coat Doxies and when we run in for a quick bite while traveling we will either leave the generator running, if it is a really large parking lot, or leave the engine running if we will be less than an hour.
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
We travel with two wire coat Doxies and when we run in for a quick bite while traveling we will either leave the generator running, if it is a really large parking lot, or leave the engine running if we will be less than an hour.
Size of the parking lot shouldn't matter. The generator will be a lot happier running under almost a full load with the rooftop a/c on than the engine will be running at idle with the dashboard a/c on. And since the built-in Onan generator only puts out about 70dB, it's not much louder than the diesel engine.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:39 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
There have already been several great comments to cover other areas, but one area I felt the need to point out as a consideration when traveling with pets.

Having show dogs, we travel a lot. One thing that we have found is to take bottled water. A change in water can upset a dogs stomach easily as the change in formulation etc. ( even going from say 'well water at home, to water with chlorine in it..)
We have a smaller 'deer-park' dispenser. Not only for our water, but also for their drinking water and preparation if any for their meals.

Also- carry with you their shot records. ( especially distemper etc and most rabies certificate and license. )
A canine first aid kit- including Benadryl ( regular formula tablets) as can be given if a snake bite until you can get to a vet to slow down the reaction of the bite. For snake bite- in general its 1mg per pound of body weight with max of 75mg.
Even dog 'boots' are helpful if in rocky terraine etc. Get the dog use to them prior to departure as always lots of praise and treats.

Have a full physical on your pets prior to departure just in case in hidden conditions are present.
28Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Lots of good suggestions, 28Argosy.

We have been asked this year, in the East, for copies of Lily's shot records....first time, ever, anywhere.

As to water, I would like to say it probably depends on the dog. Being a foundling, Lily was used to drinking and eating whatever her little self could find. She has a cast-iron stomach, very seldom upset by anything, including changes in her water.

She continues to drink from whatever is near, such as puddles, lakes, rivers, etc., and takes the heartworm pill that is also for bad things found in such waters. No problems.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Just curious but who asked for shot records?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
A couple of campgrounds in Massachusetts and New York, I believe.

The NY campground said it was a state law that they see the records, but not all of these camogrounds required them. Others required dog owners to sign a statement that their pet was up to date.

We will keep a copy of the shot record with us after this, just to avoid the hassle. It was a hassle.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Marshall , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Just curious but who asked for shot records?
Shot records are for everything from if the park asks for it ( especially proof of rabies shot), as well as if you had to see a vet while traveling, you have your dogs medical records on vaccines. ( ie preventions for rule-outs of potential illness exposure).
Also- in some states, if a dog travels over state lines, they have to have a health certificate. Law enforcement also accepts your dogs 'shot record' instead of a 'health certificate.

Additionally- your dogs shot record will/should also have your dogs microchip on the records.
28Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #16
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
I just don't feel comfortable leaving Sammy alone for long periods of time, even if I know she'll be safe and comfortable. Two hours is about my maximum comfort level, with less to nil if the weather is hot with no shade, or extremely cold. A lot of places are posted for not leaving dogs unattended in vehicles. A particular no-no is leaving a dog tied up alone outside a RV.

This is a big issue in US national parks, as dogs are not allowed on most trails.

One of my concerns is that it is so easy to get delayed, and I think if a dog is so inappropriate for what we plan to do on a trip, it's kinder if not safer just to leave her at home in a kennel. Would a dog be happy on a trip if it had to be cooped up alone for hours?

You will need your rabies certificates to cross the US border, although we've had to produce Sammy's maybe once. Also, consider what should happen if your pet needs sudden veterinary care while traveling. It's best to have at least your record of shots with you.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:24 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Power outage

We were traveling with our boxer and spent a couple of nights at Jackson Center at their terraport. It was July and over 100 degrees. At 4:30 pm they had a power outage that lasted for two hours. We were so glad we had not left Bandit in the trailer thinking the air conditioner would continue to run. So unless our trailer can be cool enough with the fantastic vents, we won't leave Bandit alone in the hot months.

The K9 cops have a way to keep their dogs cool in a vehicle with the ac when they are having donuts......can't remember what the device was but am sure an internet search will find it.

What bothers me are the self appointed dog police that object to a dog being left in a car even if the temperatures are low. I take Bandit with me to Curves at 7 am and I live near the beach that normally has a cloud cover. I leave him in the car for no more than 30 minutes (sun roof open) when the temperature is in the 60s then we go to the off leash park for his exercise. I have had people threaten to report me. Also, one evening we had dinner in Malibu and came out of the restaurant to meet the sheriff. The sun roof was open, the ambient air was under 70, the sun was setting and, yes, Bandit was barking but he was barking at the people who were hovering around the car. We are hyper sensitive about caring for our dog--especially since boxers are so heat sensitive. Bandit likes to travel with us and we are very careful to not put his life in danger.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Been doing this a long time......
They never run loose, are crated in the trailer if alone. Do not get left in anything that may overheat. Always travel in a folding "soft crate", never un-restrained while moving. In the X-pen or on lead when outside at the Campground.

BTW...we wouldn't camp without them.

Bob & "Fado"

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STREAMN20IN20THE20ADIRONDACKS201.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	197563   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07052.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	739.6 KB
ID:	197564  

Name:	We made it.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	567.6 KB
ID:	197565   Click image for larger version

Name:	FADO & BOB.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	197566  

Name:	STREAM'N AT THE DOG SHOW WITH BO.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	552.9 KB
ID:	197567   Click image for larger version

Name:	I'm relax'n Dad!!.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	461.8 KB
ID:	197568  

Old 10-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post

What bothers me are the self appointed dog police that object to a dog being left in a car even if the temperatures are low.
Thank you, our sentiments exactly.

We did a whirlwind tour of Mount Vernon a couple of summers ago, after having raced to get there in the morning and locating a very shady area under a tree where we could leave Lily safely.

Windows were open, vent fan was running, she had plenty of water, etc., etc.

We came out about 1 1/2 hours later to find a woman standing close to the Interstate, and Lily barking furiously. She said she belonged to "Lab rescue" and was concerned that our dog was left inside the vehicle in the heat.

We told her we had carefully selected the shade, it was not the heat of the day, it was warm but not excessively so inside, the dog had plenty of water, and all that.

We were clearly in the shade, the windows were obviously open and the vent fan was on. Nonetheless, she clucked her tongue at us and walked off.

About 5 minutes later, we had lunch set out at a nearby picnic table, Lily with us.......up comes a park ranger, telling us he had a report of a dog left alone in a vehicle. We explained, he saw, he left.

We were angry and rather insulted by this woman's behavior. People live in houses without air conditioning, and have pets. Common sense should prevail, this woman seemed to have none.

Some people seem to have no life, but to try and cause aggravation for others. I try to pity them.

Maggie
Old 10-11-2013, 03:34 PM   #20

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
The K9 cops have a way to keep their dogs cool in a vehicle with the ac when they are having donuts......can't remember what the device was but am sure an internet search will find it.
This, maybe?
K-9 Cooling Vests