Old 10-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #43
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

We always do whats right.....not necessarily what the sign 'sez.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image003.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	198289  

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but Iím the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #44

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
TPart of the reason I own a camper is so I can take my dog with me. Around here, it is known as her camper, and the human just gets to drive her to her favorite camping spots.
Us too! One of the main reasons we bought a trailer was because we were tired of getting the 'dog room' in hotels It turns out that we have enjoyed many dog-free trips as well, but being able to camp with our fuzzy buddies is still the best part.

Silvergate, your crate setup looks much like what we are thinking of doing. Looks like it works well for you.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2013 22' FB Sport
Wichita , Kansas
We leave our 50 lb bull terrier in the climate controlled airstream for a couple hours at a time. When we recently went to Telluride and Ouray, CO we found that most places were dog friendly. There were people walking dogs all over town. When we went rafting and were gone all day, we utilized a doggy day care in town. It worked out wonderfully.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:45 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
You're such a literalist! :-)
Old 10-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post

Bob
as a human, I like it ! but I showed it to my dog, and she said, "that just ain't right....."
Old 10-22-2013, 12:45 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Do you think the soft crate would provide any protection in an accident?
The point of the crate is not so much whether it'll be comfortable in an accident - accidents are uncomfortable - but that you can strap the crate down so the poor animal doesn't go flying across the vehicle in an accident. At most they'll go the distance of the crate and hit the wall of it.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Soft crate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
The point of the crate is not so much whether it'll be comfortable in an accident - accidents are uncomfortable - but that you can strap the crate down so the poor animal doesn't go flying across the vehicle in an accident. At most they'll go the distance of the crate and hit the wall of it.
The way our boxer blew through the soft crate with no accident, I would not think it would be of any restraint in an accident. But then, I am not sure how much our wire crate would be good in an accident either. The animal rights folks recommend a harness restraint system connected to a seat belt. paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 01:26 PM   #50

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
The way our boxer blew through the soft crate with no accident, I would not think it would be of any restraint in an accident. But then, I am not sure how much our wire crate would be good in an accident either. The animal rights folks recommend a harness restraint system connected to a seat belt. paula
That's what I wondered, if the soft crate would actually contain an animal in an accident, or just tear apart under the stress. I have never used any kind of soft crate before, and don't care much for the wire crates. I prefer the plastic vari-kennels.

I have looked at the harness/seatbelt restraints, but poorly designed ones can do more damage than none at all. The best ones use three points of restraint using the baby seat mounting points. I hate to admit I am lazy, but I am too lazy to strap my dogs into a 3 point harness everytime we hop in the car to go to the park! And I don't think they would like it restricting their movement either. Loading them into crates seems a lot easier.

Old 10-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Crates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
That's what I wondered, if the soft crate would actually contain an animal in an accident, or just tear apart under the stress. I have never used any kind of soft crate before, and don't care much for the wire crates. I prefer the plastic vari-kennels.

I have looked at the harness/seatbelt restraints, but poorly designed ones can do more damage than none at all. The best ones use three points of restraint using the baby seat mounting points. I hate to admit I am lazy, but I am too lazy to strap my dogs into a 3 point harness everytime we hop in the car to go to the park! And I don't think they would like it restricting their movement either. Loading them into crates seems a lot easier.
I agree with you about the harness/seatbelt restraints and am lazy as well. What I like about the wire crate is that it folds flat and is easier to maneuver than the plastic....we have both but use the wire one traveling. We tried the seatbelt restraints early on when we first adopted the boxer and he chewed up two seat belts.....not an inexpensive repair. He has now made the wire crate his home on the road. p
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 10-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #52
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

snip......"That's what I wondered, if the soft crate would actually contain an animal in an accident, or just tear apart under the stress."

IMHO....our "soft" crate would hold up fine if we ever experienced getting T-boned again.
It's designed to contain a crate trained animal, it's not meant to stand up to tooth and nails in anger.

Bob

ďAfter all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.Ē
RLC

RLC
Old 10-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Yeah, there's no question in my mind that the soft carrier we have for our cat would be fine for him in case of an accident - actually, probably better than the steel cage we have in the truck for him (the cage is larger and contains food and water dishes, as well as a small litter box - no need to take him out of it on the road). On the other hand the metal cage is wedged in so tightly that even if we rolled the truck, it's staying put.

Harnesses, of course, aren't an option for our cat.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 03:17 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Restraints

My kids grew up riding in the back back of our station wagon.....no restraints at all. We have a lot more information than we did back then. I think we are lucky we didn't have any problems.....am sure not everyone was so lucky. My husband thinks I worry too much.
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1968 28'Ambassador
2011 GMC Yukon Denali
Old 10-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #55

1968 17' Caravel
We only wore seatbelts when we went on long trips when I was a kid, and riding in the bed of the pickup was the most fun you could have on a summer day, but yeah, older and wiser now. Had an accident a few years ago where we got t-boned, and despite my husband having to be cut out of the car, the only injury was he had a concussion. A passerby brought my glasses to me, he found them about half a block down the street. Think about that - hit so hard on the driver side, my glasses flew out the open window on my side and landed half a block away!

We had another accident where we hit black ice and rolled our little Geo Tracker. Again, we were fine (it was upside down and totalled). This was years ago, but still, the thought of how much force happens in an accident, and how quickly, I'm just glad our dogs weren't with us either time. I do feel like I'm playing russian roulette by not securing them somehow. Accidents can happen anytime, and we don't get to choose how bad they are.

Old 10-22-2013, 04:01 PM   #56
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
We still have occasion to ride the old way.

The only way to compensate is to remember to drive the way the roads told you to 60 years ago.

I remember when tailgating was 100ft and fast was cruising at 50mph.

It's fun driving the old girl...but a bit stressful.

Bob

RLC

RLC