Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Keswick , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to Camerons
does airstream accurately represent their OCCC ?

2016 airstream grand tour brochure states OCCC of 1920 lbs
Sticker on 2016 grand tour states OCCC of 1617 lbs (only options added were rear and side screen, surely they can't account for the 303 lb reduction in weight)
Our 2016 grand tour's actual weight with full fuel, and propane (empty water) is 9572 lbs or an OCCC of 1458 lbs.

Question to the group is are you seeing the same discrepancy between what's advertised, what's on the sticker and what the actual OCCC really is ? the delta between what's advertised and actual in our case is 462 lbs or 24% exaggeration on what an interstate can really carry.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I don't know specifically about the Interstate, but the exaggerated weight rating game among auto and truck manufacturers AND RV manufacturers has been going on since they first started publishing those weights. I haven't paid much attention in the past ten years or so, but almost every RV was overloaded for the rear axle's rating... sometimes by 20%. Some folks are completely ignorant of the weight ratings so they just load 'em up and go merrily on their way.

Fortunately, in the real-world as long as you're more-or-less reasonable about the way you load, you'll be fine. I have yet to see an RV of any kind sitting at the side of the road with an axle or suspension failure from overloading.

As you said in you earlier post about glitz and over-stuffing B-Vans, manufacturers could do a LOT to lighten those curb weights, but the consumer public apparently WANTS glitz and they apparently WANT the latest and greatest techno-gizmos... and are willing to pay for them. Me, not so much... but I've been accused of being a luddite. I'm not, but the truth is that I only buy older used coaches, and I do most of my own repair work... and complex computerized electrical systems that won't have replacement parts available in five years just doesn't do it for me. Even my "new" '04 Interstate has propane and dump valves with solenoids. Why? That just adds weight and complexity. At least the cabinetry and interior, while good quality, aren't the over-built, ultra-heavy stuff in the new vans. Thank goodness everything else in it is standard RV stuff.

The other issue is that I see a lot of folks using their vans for purposes they were never intended. There seem to be a number of folks who want their vans to be an over-sized Jeep with beds. These are highway vans... pure and simple. They can do moderate dirt and gravel roads under ideal circumstances, but they're NOT a Jeep. While their off-roading capacity can be improved by throwing a ton of money at suspension and drivetrain upgrades, the bottom line is that they're still a highway machine with suspension and drivetrain mods.

If you are going to spend the kind of money you're going to spend on trying to make a Sprinter good for off-roading, you're much better off buying a FUSO or Unimog chassis-based expedition motorhome. Otherwise, just leave your Sprinter stock and drag a Jeep behind it. Both are purpose-built and each does it's job well. That's much better than trying to jury-rig something and try to do both with a single vehicle that stops doing either task well.
85MH325 is online now   Reply With Quote