Old 04-20-2018, 06:28 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
I have been working on a DIY security system but just not ready to post anything. I wanted something to tie into the MB CANBUS to take advantage of the existing comm lines and use existing keyfob. Parts on order - more to post hopefully soon.
I am eagerly awaiting this.

I didn't realize that some Interstates lack the sliding door open-able windows. I find them to be essential for whole-vehicle ventilation.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #44
Wannabe RV'er in training

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
High Desert , Las Vegas , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I am eagerly awaiting this.

I didn't realize that some Interstates lack the sliding door open-able windows. I find them to be essential for whole-vehicle ventilation.
INTERBLOG - Yeah, so now I dunno if I should rant about window vulnerability or lacking the window vulnerability . I guess just rant anyways. 🤣 Hoping to try the CANBUS thing by next weekend if I get all the parts and software. Can't say more, don't want to get people's hopes up if it does not work. Willing to spend a little $ and try it coz I hate having to buy another alarm/gizmo with yet another remote. I have remotes and keyfobs overflowing out every AI bin, drives me nuts. 😲

Alex AVI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:28 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
My 2014.5 has the opening window in the sliding door. Apparently, Airstream eliminated it on later models. I have no screen door. Perhaps the omission is because the projecting opening window knob would interfere with the screen door or because the door can now be left ajar for ventilation and still be screened.

The opening window in my sliding door pops open slightly from trapped air pressure when the door is slammed shut....

They may have eliminated the opening window on the sliding door for multiple reasons. 1) Security; 2) Often leaks; 3) Gets damaged from constant slamming of door.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:31 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
...I have remotes and keyfobs overflowing out every AI bin, drives me nuts. 😲
In addition to the Interstate key and its fob, it takes 8 more physical keys to operate our rig fully. Two drivers = two sets, plus one Interstate fob key apiece and one shared spare fobless key = 19 total keys.

That's not counting peripheral keys such as locking up a bicycle or computer or other unrelated item. That's just to open and operate what is permanently attached to our rig and what contains our rig (plug two dangling RFID charms for the storage facility).

So you can guess what happens. DH refuses to carry around his whole wad of keys. So he has one of those pull-apart key chains and the other half tends to get left where it doesn't belong.

Sigh...
Old 11-07-2018, 07:46 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Revisiting the security issue...

I'm contemplating the Diesel Boss DVR system which is currently unavailable but is expected to be reintroduced in early 2019 when they upgrade to higher-def cameras.

However, I prefer to use "double duty" devices whenever possible. The Diesel Boss looks like a one-trick pony. Video monitoring of trucks and RVs. No obvious versatility; no other obvious functionality or application.

To that end, DOES ANYONE USE A GOPRO in the context of their Interstate?

Those little devices seem to have a lot of potential for creative applications, but I'm not sure how it could be safely deployed as a security monitor. It's waterproof but there's no obvious way to secure it to the side of the Interstate, for instance. Unless there are aftermarket housings that could be purchased. I haven't looked into that.

If it could be adapted, then maybe it could be applied as a security monitor, then taken on a hike, etc. / whatever. More than one use, is the point. Better value for the money that way.

I'm looking at the GoPro Hero 7 Black, keeping eyes out for if it goes on sale for the holidays. Don't necessarily need it, but might be able to use it if I could come up with a plan.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #48
Vantair

2005 25' International CCD
Westlake Village , California
Portable security Camera

Working in professional surveillance, utilized this modest WiFi camera in our rig. Works along with 3 permanent HD mini dome exteriors for side and rear view / recording on the road or camping. (Approx 119.00). Not in the league of GoPro by any means but works for us.

It has built in micro sd and is 1080. Will need a 12v power source and internal 12v WiFi router to the rig but can be moved and pointed out a window keeping it secure inside.

Internal WiFi router allows wireless access and play back but the portability is flexible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24870299-D607-4F70-ABDE-498A2A2458C5.png
Views:	34
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	327276  
Vantair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:29 AM   #49

Quote:
Revisiting the security issue...

It's waterproof but there's no obvious way to secure it to the side of the Interstate, for instance. Unless there are aftermarket housings that could be purchased. I haven't looked into that.
INTERBLOG - Not much I can provide for your GopPro question other than to say, yes it is a good idea with only the question of how to secure to side of AI. But since you mentioned "side of AI", what I have been trying to accomplish was originally 2 fold - to get a basic CANBUS system from Directed (Viper) programmed for Sprinter MY2017. But I found out that no longer is being offered, meaning no DIY using Directed systems. Essentially I will be forced to get a Viper via dealers. Still not lost hope and searching maybe overseas suppliers.

The 2nd part was I was investigating how I can utilize ALL 3 cameras (rear, left & right mirror cams) as security cams when chassis is turned off. That covers a good portion of view from side mirrors all way to the rear. It sounds simple enough and current draw is not substantial (1A if monitor is left off). But the cameras are 'just' cameras, so a multi-port recording device is needed. That is mostly home units drawing more. And keeping all 3 of them on together all the time requires a bit of creative re-wire of monitor/cam setup which I can't start unless I know the AI will be in storage for awhile. So, it will have to wait until I get long block of time to take apart everything up there and start splicing splitters & power source leads to all 3. Also, as we have discussed in the Rear Camera thread, those 3 cams do not provide very good images even at daytime, so nighttime monitoring without lights is prob. useless. Ughh, so I am still keeping eyes open for better side/rear cam replacements, then maybe will pursue seriously using them as security cams then.
Old 11-08-2018, 05:01 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:

The 2nd part was I was investigating how I can utilize ALL 3 cameras (rear, left & right mirror cams) as security cams when chassis is turned off. ....
That's the obvious way this gig should work, and it would be my preference as well, but the limitations are as you've noted.

Technologically we are just not "there" yet, it seems. So we might have to put in two systems instead of one. Sort of like putting in two alternators instead of one, ugh.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #51

Quote:
That's the obvious way this gig should work, and it would be my preference as well, but the limitations are as you've noted.

Technologically we are just not "there" yet, it seems. So we might have to put in two systems instead of one. Sort of like putting in two alternators instead of one, ugh.
INTERBLOG - Yeah, exactly. The main reason I wanted to post my reply to your Gopro question is so you know others like me & you are also trying to figure out how we can make what is already there workable. This is definitely on my radar, so if/when time comes, we don't have to deal with a dual system of cams. Yeah, ugh

Will keep updating this thread on any new stuff I find. Hopefully everyone sees this thread as the main repository for DIY cam/security/alarm system ideas.
Old 01-18-2019, 03:33 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
As probably noted previously on this thread, security is best accomplished in layers. As many layers as possible.

I was working in-plant today in Channelview. I'm exaggerating only slightly when I say that Channelview TX only has 3 gas stations. And no exaggeration on this next part - all 3 stations had murders occur at them in 2018. It's an unusually rough part of Houston. All kinds of extreme things happen in Channelview, including the original Channelview cheerleader case, and that of a homeless man in a wheelchair who got run over and killed there a week and a half ago, but not at a gas station. No, he was cruising down the freeway in his chair at the time, the way he was well known to do.

Anyway, I did not take the Interstate up there - I don't do it if I don't have to; it's dangerous. So, no Interstate, no bathroom in my smaller van. I had to stop at one of those 3 gas stations to use their facilities. And every time I stop at a place, I buy something to show my support for the establishment.

I decided to forgo my usual bottle of Topo Chico. Today was the day when I decided instead to buy a dedicated tire thumper for the Interstate, to keep in the driver's door. It's a handy little device that could be used to check attitudes as well as check tires. It's just the right length, width, and heft to be useful in a variety of security-related scenarios.

Old 02-14-2019, 08:10 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Permalink cross-post to a Class B thread in which I describe fresh data suggesting that there were about 85,000 reported vehicle burglaries in the Houston metro just within the 2018 calendar year (plus an unknown number of unreported crimes - people tend not to report car break-ins as the odds of catching the perps are so low).

I posted it for the perspective of those who assume that their crime risk is so low as to be not worth thinking about, or taking any security steps to discourage or harden against.

It's just one data point - yes, I know. Nobody can definitively answer the question "What are my odds of becoming a crime victim as I'm using my Class B?" We have to look at general data and make reasonable order-of-magnitude inferences about that risk.

It's not a typo. About eighty-five thousand vehicle burglaries in one metro, in one year.