Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-29-2012, 05:35 AM   #21
Phil & Karen

2012 Interstate Coach
Harbor Springs , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasurbina
I am trying to figure out moving and stationary TV setup, internet and computer for my I3500.

So far it looks like DirectTV is best for TV.

Has anyone used the Autonet for internet rather than expensive bulky satellite?

Also has anyone used a Mac Mini on their TV's with internet?
I have used Auto.net and stopped. Their coverage was not that good, I get better coverage from Verizon on my smartphon's wifi.
PhilMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
An older message, maybe outdated, but very enlightening to me. Thanks for the information!

Anything more currently available?
RavenDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasurbina View Post
I am trying to figure out moving and stationary TV setup, internet and computer for my I3500. So far it looks like DirectTV is best for TV. Has anyone used the Autonet for internet rather than expensive bulky satellite? Also has anyone used a Mac Mini on their TV's with internet?
I've played with a few different options. I've used a MacBook Pro with a mini display port to hdmi adapter, atv2 hacked with xbmc, roku 3 and an xbox 360.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:11 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliasurbina View Post
I am trying to figure out moving and stationary TV setup, internet and computer for my I3500. So far it looks like DirectTV is best for TV. Has anyone used the Autonet for internet rather than expensive bulky satellite? Also has anyone used a Mac Mini on their TV's with internet?
I've used a variety of different options. A MacBook Pro with a mini display port to hdmi adapter, atv2 jailbroken with xbmc, a roku 3 and an xbox 360.

All have they're upsides and short comings.

Right now I'm back to the atv2. I have a g-connect 500gb wireless hard drive that I store media on and stream that to the atv2 thru xbmc. Another upside of the atv is that I can use airplay to stream from my phone or ipad. If we're just driving around and no one is watching a more ill mirror the ipad mini mounted to the dash to display the GPS so passengers can see where we are, traffic and an eta. (Geeky I now, but it's only a few clicks to make it work)

The also allows me to pick movies from the mini which I can do without much distraction when driving. My 2yo can't operate the remote herself and if it's just us, this lets me keep the peace when one driving and she suddenly thinks of a movie she wants to watch.

Thai setup also works well for music. I can mirror the pandora app or anything else so passengers can see the song info while listening.

Unfortunately, this setup is the most complex to get installed. It's simple once it's all going, but if you have no experience with a setup like this it might be a but of a project.

Happy to help though If anyone has questions.
jquayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #25
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Yea.... I was at Camping World just a few days ago and as I passed the Dish receivers, there was a guy raising H--- about every time he wants to setup he has a problem. The store guy was telling him he could call Dish and they would ask for zipcode and zero in the equipment......I'm just saying

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:41 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenDog View Post
An older message, maybe outdated, but very enlightening to me. Thanks for the information!

Anything more currently available?
From a Dish standpoint they have a newer receiver, 211Z. It is about 1/3 smaller than the 211k units which are still being sold. One item of note is the 211z does not have an RF output. HDMI or composite cable only. I noticed at Camping World they were displaying a 211z, but all the boxes on the shelf were 211k's.

I have Dish service at home and bought my 211z and Tailgater dish from an authorized Dish reseller on the Internet. Saved about $60 buying this way rather than purchasing from a local outlet.

The nice thing is you can still activate the receiver at will. Current cost for activation is $7 a month which is prorated based on the length of time you stay activated. What I do is to connect the Tailgater at home prior to departure and get it activated. That makes sure it is working and at the current software levels. I currently receive all of the programming on the road that I subscribe to at home including HD. Local stations can be changed based on your locale with a call to Dish. Note that making that change might affect you home receiver since Dish makes this change on an account basis rather than by receiver. So for example if your home receiver is recording local channels while you are gone, a change of locals may cause you home receiver to lose connectivity since it may not see the spot beam for your out of town locale.

Note there are additional costs if you do not have Dish service at home since you now will also have to carry a programming package. I don't believe in that case you can turn that package on and off. Also note that there are some subsidized offers for a Tailgater and receiver but those have monthly programming commitments that can't be turned on and off.

Overall I've been happy with my Tailgater and receiver. Obviously you still need to have a good view to the southwest to pick up the 3 satellites that the Tailgater looks for.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2001 34' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
I'll say this, if you buy your equipment....Keep all receipts! I've been a Dish customer for 7 years. Back when I signed up I didn't want to sign a 2 year contract, so I ended up purchasing my equipment. Now we've moved into the Airstream fulltime and are in a park with free cable. Dish wants me to send back the equipment I paid over $600 for, telling me they have no record of me purchasing. Ugh!
truxpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 01:14 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by truxpin View Post
I'll say this, if you buy your equipment....Keep all receipts! I've been a Dish customer for 7 years. Back when I signed up I didn't want to sign a 2 year contract, so I ended up purchasing my equipment. Now we've moved into the Airstream fulltime and are in a park with free cable. Dish wants me to send back the equipment I paid over $600 for, telling me they have no record of me purchasing. Ugh!
Well that sucks, did you use a credit card or check?
Maybe you can check your statements. Unfortunately 7 years is about the limit for online statements.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
I would counter that by requesting a copy of the document you signed when you received the equipment from them.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:41 PM   #30

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
I've always owned my own equipment except for my current Hopper and Joey receivers. Dish has no record of my receiver purchases since I've never bought my receivers from them. Their installer wanted to take my old receivers when he the installed the Hopper and Joeys. I told the installer I owned them and he said fine and left them with me. No one has said anything since that installation in December. With the Hopper and Joey receivers today, there's no advantage in buying them since I got them Hopper at no additional cost for signing up for 2 years.

Unless they have some record of you signing off on the receivers that they supplied to you on a rental basis, they have no claim.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-11-2015, 10:10 PM   #31
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
Is the setup for Hopper difficult?
Old 03-20-2015, 07:03 AM   #32

Fenton , Missouri
There are 2 keys with a Hopper. First you need to use coax that is rated 3MHz or better. Secondly the dish itself requires aiming (assuming you are using a fixed dish). You are aiming at 3 satellites.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 03-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #33
Jeff

2013 Interstate Coach
Seattle , Washington
Dish TV

...and don't forget to bring along extra water!

Click image for larger version

Name:	dish tv.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	638.9 KB
ID:	235105
jkinglet is offline   Reply With Quote