Old 07-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Digital TV Antenna?

I have no idea where to go with this question. The local Airstream dealer parts department was of zero help. I have a 2009 AI, and I believe it has the original TV antenna, which I am presume is an analog antenna. Since there no stations broadcasting in analog, I get no stations on the TV. I believe I need to replace this with a digital antenna. Does anyone know where I can find a digital antenna that will melt on top of the Interstate? This AI is new to us. We bought it last year.

3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Yup, we did this, and I love it. Ditched the old bat-wing and for fifty bucks, got set up to receive OTA television (over the air), just enough to get local news and weather, which is all I want. Anything else we pipe into the van comes from AppleTV via my husband's cell phone.

First, though, verify your system. Analog TV began phasing out in 2007 and concluded in 2012. If you have a 2009, I woulda thunk that your existing antenna was one of the newer ones already.

We mounted a King Jack on our existing crank-up arm, so it was a simple swap. I believe it was this model or close to it, but I'm not absolutely certain.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
This is the updated model and a couple dollars cheaper:

KING OA8300 Jack Replacement Head HDTV Directional Over-the-Air Antenna - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N59MJQ2..._VCrsBb3V4194S
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The old antenna on my 07 works just fine on over the air digital signals. If you have stations in the area you should get something. TV signals don’t care if the antenna is labeled digital or not. “Digital Antenna” is marketing BS.

Are you sure that the antenna boost switch was turned on, and did you tell the digital television set to scan for live channels?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2009 22' Interstate
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmkrum View Post
The old antenna on my 07 works just fine on over the air digital signals. If you have stations in the area you should get something. TV signals don’t care if the antenna is labeled digital or not. “Digital Antenna” is marketing BS.

Are you sure that the antenna boost switch was turned on, and did you tell the digital television set to scan for live channels?

Yes, I have scanned many times, and get no channels. Last year when I scanned, I got channels, but not longer. I thought maybe since that time all the analog broadcasters had maybe finally shut down. Hmmm.
3bcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:51 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
No such thing as a digital antenna. The broadcast signal of all TV us still analog like it always has been. The broadcast info is encrypted at their end and decryped in your tuner on your end
You can still use s coat hanger if you like.... Same results!
Buy whichever you like.
Fwiw, my 30 year old batwing works better than a "digital" jack...
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
I have no idea where to go with this question. The local Airstream dealer parts department was of zero help. I have a 2009 AI, and I believe it has the original TV antenna, which I am presume is an analog antenna. Since there no stations broadcasting in analog, I get no stations on the TV. I believe I need to replace this with a digital antenna. Does anyone know where I can find a digital antenna that will melt on top of the Interstate? This AI is new to us. We bought it last year.
I still use the original antenna on both of my units. As said earlier, there is no such thing as a digital antenna. The original antenna will receive both analogue or digital signal.

If the TV is not programming it is either a problem with the wiring/signal/amplifier, or the tv itself.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #8

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
There are no "digital" antennas because RF (radio-frequency energy) is RF regardless of what's encoded into it.

There have been years with antennas that are tailored only for VHF (the "bat-wing" without a "bow-tie" added) but all they really need is the bow-tie element added to pick up both bands. Lots of the new digital broadcast stations are in the UHF band, shorter-range and a bit different antenna shapes than the 2-13 "VHF" band.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
No such thing as a digital antenna. The broadcast signal of all TV us still analog like it always has been. The broadcast info is encrypted at their end and decryped in your tuner on your end
You can still use s coat hanger if you like.... Same results!
Buy whichever you like.
Fwiw, my 30 year old batwing works better than a "digital" jack...

+1 there is no such thing as a digital or analog antenna. There are just antennas designed to receive RF (Radio Frequencies) in the TV bands.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
The confusion may be arising because of the TVs. The older ones won’t operate without an analog-to-digital converter. LB_3 had one in his house years ago (they were given out for free so as to not burden poor people who could not afford new TV sets... LB_3 wasn’t poor but he ended up with one anyway) and it was kicking around here as flotsam, so we used it briefly in our Interstate before we upgraded that TV.

I have much better reception with the King Jack than we ever had with the bat wing. Something like 92 OTA channels in Houston. Usually at least one or two in less populated areas.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:29 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bcamper View Post
Based on the replies here, check your tv. If it doesn't have a digital tuner, pull a smaller tv from somewhere in your house and see it if gets a signal. If that doesn't work, you'll need to trace your antenna cable connections. As an extreme last resort, you could get a long coax cable and run it from a jack in your house to the external cable connection on your AI to see if any signal is getting through. Good luck.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 11:03 PM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Don't forget to turn on the power to the antenna. The light must be lit or you'll never get signal. The switch is at the primary tv outlet...

AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote