Old 01-11-2015, 03:39 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Cumming , Georgia
Just how heavy is the ProPride stinger? I'm ordering next week for my ordered FC 28 and 2015 2500HD Duramax Chevy.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2002 31' Classic
Currently Looking...
Monroe , Iowa
With my Equalizer hitch with the round bars, you have to have enough strength in your thumb to run the electric jack up and down. Then you have to be able to lift the 8 lb bars into the socket when you hitch up. Unhitching, you could just let them fall on the ground if you wanted to. OR, you could do what I do... let the wife do it. It's easy enough for my wife to do, and she doesn't even complain about it.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Barrie , Ontario
A trick I learned from another Airstreamer when hooking the sway bars . After hooking the chains in the proper links raise the jack as high as it will go and then close the chain hooks. If the jack does not raise high enough to make this easy put a block under the jack. Always raise it again before unlatching the chains then lower the jack and unhitch TV. I am 74 yr old female and travel alone and following this system have no problem with it.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
I used to have an Airstream Flying Cloud and would back it into my garage for storage; but the chances of backing it in with the trailer and TV perfectly lined up were nil. I usually ended up with the TV at an angle in order to get the trailer nicely lined up in the garage. The net result was the hitch (I had an Equalizer) was left with the head at an angle. So the next time I backed up the TV to hook up the trailer, the spring arms would never line up easily. And since movement of the head is very stiff, it meant a lot of effort levering the springs arms to get them to line up for attachment.
One of several reasons we decided to move to an Interstate.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I also had a vintage 1971 Airstream 27 foot trailer before we got the Interstate. The trailer was just too much work and only served one purpose. Our Interstate is a multipurpose vehicle that we use a lot. Once I added more solar it is nearly perfect for our needs.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Other options to consider if you decide to go the toad route. Something that has not been mentioned are roadmaster's hide a hitch options:
1.Roadmaster options
2. Blue Ox tow bar to roadmaster adapter
This is the best combination from my reseach for aesthetic, ease, and reliability.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Having flat towed a Smart car and a Subaru Impreza a total of maybe 40,000 miles, I have some experience. And, IMO, if you have a medical condition which prevents you from hooking up a trailer, you are not going to be able to hook up a flat towed vehicle either. At times one must detach the components of the towing rig and these may not be heavy but are rather cumbersome. You will need to put up some effort on a regular basis, and in the event you have a situation which requires detaching in a strange location, this will not be possible for you.

The simple fact is, if you cannot lift a sway control bar, you should not be engaging in towing either. Both hook ups require at times a significant physical effort.

Sorry, oh, and I used to play doctor before retirement, so I have a little experience there as well.
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 04:28 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaRon View Post
Just how heavy is the ProPride stinger? I'm ordering next week for my ordered FC 28 and 2015 2500HD Duramax Chevy.
Never weighed my Hensley - probably 25 lbs though. Similar I'm sure.

Another member has a short orange safety cone he positions over his stringer with bungee cords. Just leaves it in, and the cone prevents whacked shin syndrome.

May I suggest that there are lots of adaptive solutions one could use like a table or step stool on wheels to cart the heavy pieces back and forth.

Paula
Old 01-12-2015, 08:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks everyone. All of is info is very very helpful. I was hoping that hooking up a toad would be a lot easier in terms of weight/lifting/pulling. It sounds like it is not.

Too bad. I hate to give up our glamping adventures in the airstream. We love getting out in nature. I will keep monitoring this thread in case anyone else has more input. Lots to think about.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #24
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
My Honda has the EZ Twistlock towbar brackets. But I still leave my towbar crossbar mounted most of the time anyway.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
We don't tow a toad with our Interstate. It's small enough to go almost everywhere. Yesterday we were in downtown Charleston where they have parking right next to the visitors center. Disconnecting the power and water is easy to allow you to stay mobile without much effort. It is really a question of how you want to travel. We only stay in one spot for 3-5 days so it works for us.
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
We don't tow a toad with our Interstate. It's small enough to go almost everywhere. Yesterday we were in downtown Charleston where they have parking right next to the visitors center. Disconnecting the power and water is easy to allow you to stay mobile without much effort. It is really a question of how you want to travel. We only stay in one spot for 3-5 days so it works for us.
This is interesting. D any of you drive your interstates on rough potholed dirt roads? How does it do? When we camp, we like to get off the beaten path and explore nearby rivers which typically requires driving down rough dirt roads and pullouts. What's the interstate like in these conditions? That is why we were thinking of needing a toad.
Old 01-13-2015, 01:26 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonginator View Post
This is interesting. D any of you drive your interstates on rough potholed dirt roads? How does it do? When we camp, we like to get off the beaten path and explore nearby rivers which typically requires driving down rough dirt roads and pullouts. What's the interstate like in these conditions? That is why we were thinking of needing a toad.
Yes, and the answer is not well at all. You can always drive slowly around/over potholes, but the real problem is the clearance, especially at the rear with the very long overhang. There's something like about 5 inches clearance under the generator and that is behind the rear axle, so you have to be extremely careful over rough ground.
I like to dry camp a lot here in the southwest, but to venture down forestry roads is almost impossible.
Actually I was thinking about getting a small offroad motorcycle for that purpose; if I can persuade she who must be obeyed.
Old 01-13-2015, 02:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We towed a 4,000 pound Jeep with our 38' SOB motorhome. Once hitch was put into the receiver on the MH it never left, it's a Demco. Your problem might come from the brakes required in many states on the toad. In PA for instance any towed vehicle over 3,000 pounds must have it's own brakes. The toad has brakes, but must be activated from the MH, thus a "brake buddy" or some such thing. We used the brake buddy which is a box, not heavy but cumbersome, which needs to be placed between the brake pedal and seat of the towed vehicle, then a actuator rod needs to be placed on the brake pedal and snapped and locked into place. Then the seat moved forward to just touch the rear of the brake buddy. Not complicated nor difficult, but does require lifting the brake buddy box and positioning it in the toad and then removing it.

In case you go this route I have both for sale on the sales side of the AS Forum. We sold he MH and the people already had the set up for their toad.

Many people travel without the brake buddy, one it's illegal and two out west where we went we needed it to help slow the whole circus down.

paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote