Old 04-06-2014, 07:15 AM   #15
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Wouldn't the bleach remove the pink color? I'd be tempted to run with plain water until the pink is gone, then add the bleach.
I've never added bleach to RV antifreeze, but I wouldn't want to. I'm not enough of a chemist to know if they'll mix safely, or if they'll create a poisonous mixture, or if they'll gel into some kind of gooey mess.

If I used antifreeze in my freshwater system instead of just in the various drains, I would flush with freshwater first, then shock-treat with bleach and flush again with freshwater, so that never the twain shall meet.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Ok, first, I just realized this is in the sprinter forum not trailers and second - I'm clearly not articulate. There is no pink stuff in the FW tank. I planned to fill the FW tank to then push the pink stuff through the faucets. And I hoped putting in the chlorine first would sanitize the system while pushing the pink stuff out. Sorry I wasn't clearer. :-)

Old 04-06-2014, 08:17 AM   #17

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
While I don't have this vehicle the same methods as a trailer can be used. Typically I just connect up the city water and flush fresh water through the system. After the water is clear, I'll replace the hot water drain plug (I leave it out all winter), and then change the bypass valves over (3) to their opposite position and let the water tank fill. I'll let that run for a bit. After that is done (and dependent upon the first trip of the year, I may or may not sanitize the fresh water tank. If I decide to do that my manual notes that the mixture is about 8 oz. or one cup for my 60 gallon fresh water tank. I add the bleach then fill the tank. I let it sit 4 hours. I dump the fresh water tank from the underneath drain and then refill and drain again.

Quite honestly I can't see the bleach mixture harming an aluminum tank (not sure your if your tank is aluminum) since chlorine is present in most city water systems. RV antifreeze will not promote bacteria growth so technically you shouldn't have to pump the chlorinated mixture in your fresh water tank through your system.

And if you want to pump some of the mixture from the fresh water tank through the plumbing, go ahead. Just be sure to flush the system well and drain the hot water tank and refill it a couple of times to get rid of the mixture.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Ok - getting ready for a shakedown next weekend (I'm giddy like a 3rd grader :-) ).

Here's my dewinterizing checklist - welcome your thoughts;

1) ensure all external tank drains (WH, FW, Black, Gray) are closed and pump is on
Don't turn on the pump until after the fresh tank is filled.

Also I always turn the pump off when I am not actually using the water and the water heater is off. I also turn off the water heater unless I will be using a large amount of hot water since it maintains the temperature a long time even when off.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Mineral Bluff , Georgia
Again, newbie with a brand new winterized CampLite.

How toxic is the pink stuff?

The spot we're thinking about flushing the lines near is about 30' from a fresh water pond with tadpoles and newts and frogs and stuff.

I do not know what exact antifreeze Sunny Island RV used, but it is pink. I could easily find out.

Want to have her ready to go by SpringStream, in less than week!

Oh boy oh boy!
Old 04-06-2014, 11:21 AM   #20
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEddieB View Post
How toxic is the pink stuff?
It's not. That's the whole point of a special RV antifreeze. Your dog can drink it without ill effect, unlike the green antifreeze used in a car radiator. You can drink it, too, but it doesn't taste good.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote