Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2017, 01:18 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Palmyra , Pennsylvania
Details to Avoid Problems?

I am concerned about launching 'fishing expeditions' vs. avoiding repair headaches down the road.

How would you suggest finding honest, experienced, competent Sprinter diesel garages / mechanics? What questions would you ask to qualify the garages / mechanics.

Having read various forums (including this one), the list of potential or existing problems is a bit overwhelming. What inspection checks and upgrades would you recommend to find existing problems and avoid future ones: 1) To be done by an experienced mechanic; 2) To be done by me?

We just bought a 2004 Dodge Sprinter 2500 High Roof 158WB T1N Cargo that was converted into an Airstream Interstate IRS Class B RV in 2005. It has close to 60,000 miles on it. We will take delivery from the RV Dealer probably later this week.

I am technically savvy enough to read and understand some of the technical ins and outs of maintenance / repair issues. Back in the 60s/70s I used do my own oil/filter changes, minor tune-ups, brake pad replacements, etc., on passenger cars with conventional gas engines.
I do not own or have access to a creeper, lift or commercial jacks, air tools. I do have a fair selection of automotive hand tools.
jonathanwesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Hi, Jonathan! Welcome to Air Forums. If you've been reading, you might know that this forum contains a small but attentive posse of T1N owners. You might also know that my blog contains a boat-load of information on repairing and troubleshooting and upgrading the T1N Interstate, all gained from our 2.5 years of extensive DIY work on our 2006 Sprinter / 2007 Interstate (me plus husband, forum ID = LB_3).

We know some of the issues that crop up sometimes, but not always, with Interstates of our vintage. In our collective experience, you are more likely to have issues with Airstream's conversion than with the T1N Sprinter itself. Knock wood, we've had zero problems with ours, nor have others reported big T1N mechanical issues on this forum. The T1N is a workhorse and blessedly free of the emissions add-ons that tend to cause problems with its successor, the NCV3.

If you tell us what your intended style of Interstate usage will be, we can narrow down what your investigative priorities ought to be, for making sure your rig will remain as trouble-free as possible. Some issues can become more critical than others depending on the owner's travel goals (e.g., campground hooking-up vs. boondocking).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:19 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Sebastopol , California
When interviewing a mechanic I would ask how much Sprinter experience they have and if they are dealer trained. The T1N can be uber reliable if treated well. It's important to always use the correct lubricants and many of us prefer Mercedes approved parts, filters and belts. I would take your VIN to a dealer and see if there is any service history. Keep reading as these are unique vehicles and have certain peculiarities such as the need to replace brake pads and rotors. Most importantly is have fun.
Sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Freightliner has been selling Sprinter's for a very long time. Their dealers and service centers are experienced with T1Ns and are relatively easy to locate.
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:03 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Peterbilt also does a good job with our Sprinter based Interstates.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Oil changes are no problem for the DIY'er. I was reluctant to do the fuel filter change, for two reasons.
1) There was a mid-year change to the fuel filter PN, and supposedly no way to know which one I needed until the old one was off. I live 100 miles from a MB dealer, so bringing in the old one was not a good option.
2) MB bulletin V-B-09.00/01 says to replace the turbo inlet seal whenever it is touched. This seems overkill to me, but I was not willing to take a chance on ruining a $2000 turbo. In watching the mechanic replace the fuel filter I think that my fear was groundless. But given that the cost was more parts than labor, I may pay to have it done every time - but closer to every 30,000 miles instead of every 20,000 miles. If you buy fuel at a reputable place with high turnover, and minimal to no use of biodiesel, then even every 30,000 miles is probably more frequent than necessary.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
You might want to look for a "Sprinter certified technician". FWIW, here is a Sprinter Forum thread where owners debate what that means. Our local Dodge dealership is quick to announce that they have some on staff. However, that same dealership requires about a 3-week wait for any work to be scheduled, so we've never used them.

On the subject of oil changes, they are easy on a T1N and we do our own (blog post here). Depending on the source, the DIY can save between about $100 (compared to non-MB providers) and $300 (reported price at an MB service center).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Toughest part about the oil change is finding a MB-approved oil and a not-too-unreasonable price. I bought a 16 gal drum of Northland Eurosyn for appx $5 per qt.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I guess there may be a little trial and error in finding a good shop.
Our friend with a Sprinter is totally 110% satisfied with the service department at the Mercedes-Benz dealership in Jackson, MS.
Thire service techs have even repaired things not related to the chassis/Sprinter, but the house/coach portion like replacing the TV antenna.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Doug always said about our Interstate's basic engine service that "it's a truck" , so Freightliner or Peterbilt could and did do these services for us.

As many of us as are on the road, either in RV's, FedEx or UPS vans, etc., we have never had a problem finding someplace to service ours...at home, or on the road.

We have sometimes used RV dealership or repair places. Call them, they will tell you whether they can do it or not.

I don't think it's necessary to go to a MB place, is it?, and the older rigs are not quite as persnickety as the newer ones, from what I understand.

The OP has a 2004.

Don't want to make it seem more difficult to get oil & filter changes done than it needs to be.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2017, 01:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Mine has just gone over 180,000 miles, too....had it 10 years.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I seem to recall a lot of discussion here and over on the Sprinter forum about tubing on the pressurized side of the turbo failing and a metal replacement.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 04:59 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Yep, ours had that done about year 3, I believe.

Maggie
Old 04-13-2017, 06:42 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
That would be the turbo resonator, it would crack and put the van in limp mode. Most of us went to an aftermkt aluminum one. Very easy inexpensive fix.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:27 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 22' Interstate
san clemente , California
Be SURE to change to the aftermarket aluminum turbo resonator, and carry proper replacement oil filter and fuel filter while traveling. I use Europarts in San Diego for proper MB parts at a fair price (858) 451-0020. Very knowledgeable and no I have no financial interest in the company. AEW
unifreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:24 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
My first rule

Never move the rig without first walking all the way around it.

I never flew an airplane, civil or military, without a walk around inspection. Same goes for an RV. No formal check list is needed. Especially when someone interrupts hooking up or unhooking, something is likely to be forgotten.

I have several times found sewer adapters that were not stowed away because someone distracted me at just the wrong time.

I even do a walk around each time before leaving the storage yard.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote