Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2018, 02:39 AM   #201
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Tonight, we dip below 100° at 11pm and by midnight, we will be down to 96°
Throw another blanket on the bed!
Tincampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #202
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
We experienced a 'cold pocket' briefly where the temp fell to around 93 yesterday afternoon. After what we had just been through these past several days, people were tweeting, "Wow, it's nice outside."

Thus proving Einstein's theory of Relativity on a weather-related basis.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #203
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex AVI View Post
Tonight, we dip below 100° at 11pm and by midnight, we will be down to 96°
I'll swear when they first started posting the "Feels Like" temperatures down here, our humidity added 5-7 degrees max to the actual reading. Now, our local weathermen are saying things like "High tomorrow 95, with a fell like temperature of 112".

I don't understand how or when this change took place. Sure, I feel the heat more as I've gotten older, but I've felt the dry 112 degrees of Vegas and it's like an oven. Of course, we have a long history of hysterical weathermen on our local stations, trying to "out do" each other.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #204
1 Rivet Member

Menominee , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Took a day trip to Goose Island today with our grand daughter. Lantana Loop sites are now open. The mosquitoes weren't bad (at least today) but I saw what you mean about the camp sites being "in the woods". Some sites are cleared between the spots and for 20-30 feet behind, but others are literally tucked into the brush with just enough room for a picnic table. I can understand these (especially) would be a mosquito hell much of the year. Really don't understand it.

The beach sites are still closed to overnight camping, but not closed to day visitors. The park ranger said they are working to have structures and power restored in about 4-6 months. Their time-table looks doable.

Yours and AlexAVI's fridges are really working great. Chilled our's down the night before the trip and kept about 42 degrees all day driving with temps in the mid 90's. We accessed it about half a dozen times and it was only lightly stocked, but still, would have liked the temp to have gotten a few degrees cooler.

The cab a/c kept the rear comfortable, if not cold, for our grand daughter. Of course, the Avenue is smaller and shorter than the AI's so less volume of air to cool.

My wife also road in the rear with her part of the time and said it was just a bit "stuffy" a couple of times but never felt hot (I sometimes forgot to turn the blower on high when she'd move to the back). I could have turned on a fan to move air to the rear, but she never asked for it.

I had the rear window reflectix coverings off so my grand daughter could see out. When we travel, we cover them and I think it would have made a positive contribution. But today's trip was about sightseeing, and we had a good time.

I had heard somewhere else that the reflectix window coverings are not a good idea for keeping heat out, because they will damage (shatter?) the glass window. We have some for our AI, because on our April road trip this year, we saw below freezing temps until we got south of Fayetteville, AR. Would love to be able to use the reflectix to keep the heat out. Does anyone have any input on this?
tugboatannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #205
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatannie View Post
I had heard somewhere else that the reflectix window coverings are not a good idea for keeping heat out, because they will damage (shatter?) the glass window. We have some for our AI, because on our April road trip this year, we saw below freezing temps until we got south of Fayetteville, AR. Would love to be able to use the reflectix to keep the heat out. Does anyone have any input on this?
I use Relfectix on my Interstate's windows all the time, both while camping and while the van is stored. No problems with the glass getting too hot and cracking or shattering (yet, let's not jinx it), even when the Interstate is parked in direct summer sun along the Gulf Coast.

May or may not be pertinent, but I removed the Airstream OEM window blinds completely, and only use Reflectix. The reflectix provides more privacy than the translucent blinds. But the lack of blinds also means that there's not a space between windows and blinds that can trap heat.
Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM   #206
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tugboatannie View Post
Source would be appreciated. Yes, there are anecdotal reports along these lines, but I've never seen proof. I'm not saying it can't happen.

I'm in the process of upgrading all my Reflectix with DIY heavier-duty Insul-bright cored shades (blog post here). Here's a pic of an original Reflectix along side the adjacent window's rolled-up replacement.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #207
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I don't understand how or when this change took place. Sure, I feel the heat more as I've gotten older, but I've felt the dry 112 degrees of Vegas and it's like an oven. Of course, we have a long history of hysterical weathermen on our local stations, trying to "out do" each other.
ROWIEBOWIE - I grew up in Chicago and for as long as I remember, wind chill factor has always been a part of winter forecasts. Even kids knew it's effects. But just like you, I do not remember when "real feel temps" have been included in summer forecasts. Today, we hit 113°F with "real feel" of 119°F.

Of course since it was too hot to work inside the AI, what did I decide to do? I did all the landscape maintenance & trimming that I have been neglecting because of all the AI trips we have done this last couple months I woke up early, started at 530am and just finished at 530pm When it's over 110°F, it don't matter much what the real feel is. It just freakin' hot. I consumed a gallon of fruit juice, not counting all the ice mixed in with each glass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1532652021862.png
Views:	67
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	318125  
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #208
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Question

Quote:
Source would be appreciated. Yes, there are anecdotal reports along these lines, but I've never seen proof. I'm not saying it can't happen.

I'm in the process of upgrading all my Reflectix with DIY heavier-duty Insul-bright cored shades...
You left non-reflective side towards the outside?

So you have fabric (brown) towards the outside + Reflectix + Insul Bright Fabric + Metallic fabric covering that faces the inside of the AI

Why not use the metallic fabric also towards the outside?

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:20 PM   #209
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Yes because the black is stealth mode, which I need often. Silver is to coordinate with the aluminum walls. If I'm THAT hot, I'll put on my external reflector as well (the one that sticks on the side with neodymiums) No need to reflect from the inside.
Old 07-26-2018, 08:07 PM   #210

Orlando , Florida
I have not been able to order medium sized magnets... I ordered two sizes and got a double order of the small 8 mm one...then I ordered another larger size and got sent 1-1/4” magnets... starting a collection of magnets... trying to buy something in between but can’t find it in Neodymium.

Then the blankets ordered are like paper thin...no way to sew those with magnets inside. Oh, and what fun it is sewing anything with a Neodymium magnet inside...sucker would stick to the base plate of the sewing machine!!! I just did not have the patience to continue and placed this project on hold. I need the correct size magnet and that metallic cloth you used...then I will try to make those outside shields.

For the inside I will start with reflectix for now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AD714106-3B84-4CE0-95A9-99FAE987AC41.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	318129  
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-26-2018, 08:54 PM   #211

Orlando , Florida
Well... found them on eBay... 1/2" x 1/8" and 3/4" x 1/8"... order placed. Will stop by Joan's and Home Depot Saturday...
WBCCI #26769
Old 07-27-2018, 05:22 AM   #212
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Coach
Centre County , Pennsylvania
Home Depot also stocks .7 inch neomagnets, 3 per pack.

To install mine, I sewed a large pocket (approx 3 inches L and W).
Sewing is MUCH easier, and the magnets will “float” to where you want them in use.
Lineolated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 05:36 AM   #213
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
.... Oh, and what fun it is sewing anything with a Neodymium magnet inside...sucker would stick to the base plate of the sewing machine!!! I just did not have the patience to continue and placed this project on hold. I need the correct size magnet and that metallic cloth you used...then I will try to make those outside shields.

For the inside I will start with reflectix for now...
I got a great chuckle out of this. YES, welcome to MY world!! Neodyms are the ultimate P.I.T.A. I can't live with them, can't live without them.

Re: the other poster, I did not want to make big pockets because I use the neodyms to help hold the massive side shroud together for storage, like is shown in the pic below. I don't want them swimming in pockets - I really want them to act as point sources of magnetic force.

That pic also illustrates the first principle of neodym crafting: do NOT proceed with any project until you have the EXACT size of magnet called for. If you try to substitute, you will probably create more problems than you solve.

For the side shroud, I hand-sewed each neodym into place. This eliminated the sewing machine footer and base plate issues. Of course they still attracted the sewing needle, but that was much easier to deal with.

These are the neodyms all neatly bunched together after shroud folding. If this isn't done, the shroud will degenerate into a tangled mess.

#vansizedsewing

Old 07-27-2018, 07:44 AM   #214
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
Stay away from fleebay for magnets.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com
LB_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 AM   #215
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
Interblog, Do you think Reflectix shades like you sewed would fit on top of the fresh water tank if laid flat? I can't remember if you store anything there.

Thanks,
Katy
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #216
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Yes because the black is stealth mode, which I need often. Silver is to coordinate with the aluminum walls. If I'm THAT hot, I'll put on my external reflector as well (the one that sticks on the side with neodymiums) No need to reflect from the inside.
I always get a chuckle when people think they can make these vans "stealth".
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 03:52 PM   #217
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
Interblog, Do you think Reflectix shades like you sewed would fit on top of the fresh water tank if laid flat? I can't remember if you store anything there.

Thanks,
Katy
Yes I think so. IRRC, I stored our original Reflectix versions there until I decided to decorate the van with rolled-up burrito versions of them. I wanted them stored right next to the windows they were intended to fit. Plus I put other stuff on top of the fresh water tank now.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:58 PM   #218
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
New heat-related annoyance (in the first-world problems category):

My daily driver POS Sienna has a center console with a junk well in the middle.
It has a spring-loaded lid that pops open when I push the silver button beside it.

Well, it's getting so hot these days that the plastic is softening and expanding enough to release the lid without human intervention. I'll come out to a parking lot and find it standing wide open. Which might not be a big deal except that is where Sienna owners tend to store valuables - out of sight until it goes "Ta-da! Here I am! Punch out my window and steal me!"

I will need to keep my hard hat on top of it until October, to keep it closed.
Old 07-28-2018, 08:05 AM   #219
Rivet Master

2012 Avenue Coach
Corpus Christi , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I always get a chuckle when people think they can make these vans "stealth".
It's all about degrees. I propose we use the terms stealthy, stealthier, and stealthiest (full Ninja mode).

I can envision someone saying of the first term, "Hey, see that Van over there?". Of the second term, "What kind of van is that over there?". And of the the last term, "What Van?".
Old 07-28-2018, 03:11 PM   #220
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Salem , New Hampshire
Finally Got Around to 3M Crystalline Tint

Installed CR70 on the lower 80% of the windshield and CR5 on the top 20%. CR40 on the front side windows. What an immediate difference, even up here in the Northeast! For you southern folks, front window tinting in NH is illegal without a medical waiver, which I am fortunate enough to have.

Does any state recognize the difference between 3M crystalline and 'normal' window tinting?

Other side benefits are I can dispense with the self-made head unit shade, and even more surprising is the rear-view camera (in place of the rear view mirror) actually functions both ways now - with less glare bouncing around the cab I can either focus on the rear view reflection or the actual rear video feed .