Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2018, 02:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Denver , Colorado
Dead battery when it sits

I am very new to this. When my 2017 Int. sits for 3 days the chassis battery is dead (eg. 6 v. won't open the doors). I have made sure the radio etc is off. The dealer says no unusual draw and the charging system and battery are ok. This just isn't right. Any ideas are very much appreciated. Thanks.
Mobey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 03:58 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Plano , Texas
So something is drawing down the Chassis battery. Is the house battery staying charged?

I also have 2017. Never had issue with chassis battery but some have reported some fusion wiring issues. I have ran down house batteries but I left fan/fridge/propane switch on.
Tobbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Can you disconnect the battery, remove the negative cable, from the rig and charge it over night? If so disconnect the charger in the am and test the voltage later that day. If the battery is good you shouldn't see a voltage drop of more than a 1/10 volt or so.

Get a cheap, Pep Boys hydrometer and check each battery cell just after the charge. They should all be the same.

If the stand alone battery will hold a charge touch the negative cable to the battery post a watch for the spark. The size of the spark will give you an idea of the back ground current draw.

I suspect the battery is bad if it has been discharged below 9 volts a few times.

There is a ton of stuff running in background on newer vehicles. Besides the memory in the radio there is most likely a Body Computer. The batteries in my Excursion will go dead in a week or less of siting. Lincoln had a major problem with this a few years back.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Simple set of tests:

1) Get a current meter and *measure* the current being pulled off the chassis battery with everything turned off. If it's over an amp, start digging for things.

2) Pull the chassis battery and get it tested. If it fails, you may have some warranty money left in it. That makes testing it at a dealer who handles that brand a good idea.

3) Put a multimeter on the battery with the engine running. Make sure it comes up to a reasonable charge voltage. If it does not, get the alternator / voltage regulator troubleshot.

Yes, there are a whole variety of other possibilities and rabbit holes to wander down. There's a pretty good bet one of the above will find the problem.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:19 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Raleigh , North Carolina
I had a similar situation and determined it was the Fusion Entertainment system. I had pushed the power button which darkened the screen but did not turn the system off. I’ve also realized that if I switch off the battery disconnect for the house (allowing current to flow) the Fusion system comes on! So, when I park my 2016 for a few days without shore power I switch on the battery disconnect. The solar panels keep the batteries topped off and all is good.

Hope this helps. Dead batteries are a bummer.
FunWaggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:47 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
I am very new to this. When my 2017 Int. sits for 3 days the chassis battery is dead (eg. 6 v. won't open the doors). I have made sure the radio etc is off. The dealer says no unusual draw and the charging system and battery are ok. This just isn't right. Any ideas are very much appreciated. Thanks.

You are correct - this isn't right.

Which dealer are you talking about - Airstream or Mercedes? Recommend you contact Airstream customer service. The battery drain on 2017 Interstates is a well know problem that has been discussed extensively on this forum. It appears to be caused by incorrect wiring of Fusion radio/entertainment system.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
dead battery when it sits

Ignore the comment about using a hydrometer - all batteries on Interstate are sealed AGM.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:24 PM   #8

2005 25' Safari
Sacramento , California
I put a battery tender on the Airstream and the f350. This solved the problem you are having.
hpjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #9
2017 Frisco Serenity

2017 23' International
San Bruno , California
dead battery when it sits

I bought a new 2017 International Serenity 23’ Airstream.
After just a month the “New” Interstate Batteries died. Brought it to the “Interstate Battery Dealer and they replaced them. A headache especially after paying $70K for an Airstream!
dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
FYI this thread is about an Interstate RV, which has its own unique battery/charger system and peculiarities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpjack View Post
I put a battery tender on the Airstream and the f350. This solved the problem you are having.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin View Post
I bought a new 2017 International Serenity 23’ Airstream.
After just a month the “New” Interstate Batteries died. Brought it to the “Interstate Battery Dealer and they replaced them. A headache especially after paying $70K for an Airstream!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
FYI this thread is about an Interstate RV, which has its own unique battery/charger system and peculiarities.

OTRA15 - so nicely put. But I will say it on behalf of other Interstate owners - "unique/pecularities" = headaches (which I am still trying to fully comprehend)
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
I like a ‘clamp-on’ type DC Ammeter.
But you need to make sure it will measure very small current flow- not all do.

I’ll try to find a link to the one I use. It is does very low current flows.
1 amp for three days draw 24 hours a day adds up.

mark
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #13
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
Hi Mobey,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #14
2017 Frisco Serenity

2017 23' International
San Bruno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi Mobey,

We're very sorry to learn about the issue you are having. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share it with our Customer Service and Technical Support team.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at customer_support@airstream.com

Thank you.

Wow! Truly pleasantly surprised an Airstream representative is reading this thread and actually is contacting the Airstream owners to help solve problems !
dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
BTW, this is the clamp-on ammeter I have.
Rather expensive but it works really well. Resolution to 1mA DC

http://www.testequipmentdepot.com/am...SAAEgIPf_D_BwE
Lotus54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Here it is 2018 and the sane problem exists in the18s.!!!! I am sitting in a camp near my home trying to charge brand new batteries with a charger. Airstream tech said letting it sit without shore power fir two weeks drains the batteries. That shouldn’t be since you are supposed to be able to boondook for longer with solar etc!? The dealership, RV One in Winter Park Fl told me NOT to ht the red battery disable inless I was going to park it for months.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #17
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Here it is 2018 and the sane problem exists in the18s.!!!! I am sitting in a camp near my home trying to charge brand new batteries with a charger. Airstream tech said letting it sit without shore power fir two weeks drains the batteries. That shouldn’t be since you are supposed to be able to boondook for longer with solar etc!? The dealership, RV One in Winter Park Fl told me NOT to ht the red battery disable inless I was going to park it for months.
Hi

No, indeed pretty much all Airstreams (MH or TT) will flatten a battery in under a month if there is no power into the system. Put a solar setup on and keep it outdoors ... you can go a long long time in storage.

Boondocking depends very much on how much power you use. It is surprisingly easy to to flatten the stock batteries on any of these RV's in under a day, with or without the stock solar setup.

It sounds like your dealer is a bit confused about how to manage the power system in your trailer. Given the turnover at most dealers, it's amazingly easy to run into a confused person at one of them ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 07:23 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St auguatine , Florida
Thanks Bob, that is one of the curious things about this; it is stired outside in Fl with solar . I could see it draining in a few months but I would have thought with the solar panels and fusion and frig off, it would be fine.
carpenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenc View Post
Thanks Bob, that is one of the curious things about this; it is stired outside in Fl with solar . I could see it draining in a few months but I would have thought with the solar panels and fusion and frig off, it would be fine.
Then you should do further research IMO about phantom electrical drains on your system [in addition to the propane detector] like sub-woofers, radios, etc.. Even with a small solar panel, if the controller is working right, your batteries should stay charged IMO. Is your main battery switch in the "Use" mode? [forgive this "trailer" terminology, what ever you call the IS master control is what I mean].

First off though, please tell us what your batteries are. AGM or flooded-cell lead batteries? With the new IS and solar, I guess AGM. Have you had them tested independently from your dealer? There is a remote chance one or more cells are bad.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #20
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
It is common for dealers to allow batteries to go dead. Then selling vehicle with bad batteries. If you have a heavy drain when idle, that must be fixed. But it is not normal for out-of-use house battery to be dead in <3 days.
Here is quality meter at a reasonable price from a trusted source. https://shop.marinehowto.com/product...amp-volt-meter
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote