Old 12-17-2006, 09:45 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
While DRLs are required equipment on any new vehicle sold in Canada, or any vehicle imported into Canada, it's a federal requirement under CMVSS.
From my reading, DRLs are not required under the Ontario Highway Traffic Act, so there is no apparent prohibition on disabling them. I guess that's also why it's legal for the police to override theirs.

The exception is for motorcycles - any motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 1970 must have the headlight on when running.

DRL function varies. There is a specified brightness, but typical headlight height and placement regs don't seem to apply. Ford has typically used high beams at half power (no taillights). Most manufacturers use low beam headlights (sometimes including taillights), and sometimes at reduced power. Chrysler vans often use extra bright amber lights behind the turn signal lenses. Cars with pop-up headlights are set up similarly.

I carry a small bag of spare light bulbs in my vehicle, just in case.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
I don't agree that you should disable a safety item, IMO you could get a ticket for disabeling your DRL in some jurisdictions.

But if you are commited to this, why not just pull the bulbs? Or are they not a seperate bulb?
Dave
There is not a U.S. federal law mandating or requiring use or DRL's. Disable as you please.

German made vehicles usually use the main headlights as the DRL source but with a small reduction in power. You can't pull the bulbs since they are also your headlights!

This thread is not about whether or not you should disable DRL's, but how to disable them according to the original poster preference. It is entirely his option to do so. FWIW, I have disabled them on my Volkswagen for various reasons that I'll keep to myself. However, I am fully aware as to when I should turn on my lights for safety, and I always use them (with running lights) when towing. Always.

Good luck on your quest Zigzagguzzi!

Old 12-18-2006, 02:20 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
There is not a U.S. federal law mandating or requiring use or DRL's. Disable as you please.
You are correct, this is something that is left to the state vehicle codes. Therefore you may not be able to "disable as you please" and be legal, depending on the jusisdiction.

Quote:
This thread is not about whether or not you should disable DRL's, but how to disable them according to the original poster preference. It is entirely his option to do so.
Many of these threads take little side roads from the original question or statement, this in my opinion adds something to the overall information. While I did state an opinion (as have many others) as to whether this should be done, I also offered a possible way for him to accomplish his task. It is entirely up to him what he does.
Dave
Old 12-18-2006, 03:12 PM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I manually turn mine off and if I ever get the knowledge on how to yank them perm, I'd do it in a heart beat. There is little evidence on either side of the conversation that can be fully supported.

For those who'd take the side that it's safer, I simply say that I've been accident free with in 15 years with an '80 Olds that didn't have them and 2 '96 GM B-Body cars that also didn't have them. To date, there is nothing that DRLs could have prevented that my headlights could also not have done. That said, I'll simply say one again, I'd like the option of making that call, not having it thrusted upon me.

If folks like DRLs or think it makes them safer, go with it. I'm just not of the same school of thought.

On the burb, you can simply counter twist the light control and they can manually be turned off. If it's not a simple as yanking a fuse or pulling a relay, I'd next look at if there are seperate light bulbs and if so, yank them.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:22 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
You are correct, this is something that is left to the state vehicle codes. Therefore you may not be able to "disable as you please" and be legal, depending on the jusisdiction.
Dave, I'll repectfully disagree with you here. NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) law trumps state and local law. I do want to stress the 'respectfully' part as I'm not trying to start a grudge match here, but simply present the facts. I do respect yours and others opinions, but I feel that too much commentary distorts the original posters intent of the thread.

In this case, federal law say that DRL's are optional. This is how 2007 model year vehicle can have a disable switch.

Don't believe me? Please read it for yourself:
Other Equipment | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration(NHTSA) | U.S. Department of Transportation
Old 12-19-2006, 07:48 AM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
On my Interstate, I found a fuse panel "under" the driver's seat. Perhaps there is a separate fuse for the daytime low beam lights in that.
I like the lights on when the engine is running feature. It's the wave of the future, just like seat belts were back in the 50's. "No Some Other Brand is going to make ME put that thing on." Remember?
regards
Old 12-20-2006, 05:53 AM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
The fuse box under the drivers seat is the correct one to use. Instructions from another web sight said to remove fuses 2,3,14 and leave number 8. All these fuses are labeled drl. When I remove those fuses the lights go out but the dash lights flicker. Go figure? jim
Old 12-20-2006, 09:08 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Zig Zag:

Maybe that's a message telling you that you shouldn't have disconnected those lines!

Sergei
Old 12-20-2006, 09:13 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Hughsonville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Personally, I hate them. If a police officer decided to be a , umm, stickler, he could pull you over on a clear sunny day, and write you a ticket for a burnt out headlight. Legally, you can't even drive it to the parts store to get another one. Kind of like motorcycles. The less excuses I give somebody to give me a hard time, the better. Again, just my $.02, and probably worth almost that much.

Would that be any different if it were night time?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:30 AM   #38
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Slightly off topic here, but to the point of one earlier post...

Had a state trooper I know tell me straight out that they DO IN FACT have quotas.

Not like we didn't know that all along
Old 12-20-2006, 10:34 AM   #39
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
Slightly off topic here, but to the point of one earlier post...

Had a state trooper I know tell me straight out that they DO IN FACT have quotas.

Not like we didn't know that all along

Those....$#$%^&*+@@#$@$@!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-20-2006, 07:06 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
The guy I know gives out lots of warnings because he thinks its wrong to use it as a money making tool.

I live in WV, and the more rural the town, the more it seems they make a bundle off speed traps.

There's the way it oughta be, and there's the way it is...
Old 12-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #41
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
The guy I know gives out lots of warnings because he thinks its wrong to use it as a money making tool.

I live in WV, and the more rural the town, the more it seems they make a bundle off speed traps.

You haven't been through some parts of North Central Florida lately. Kind of like West Virginia, without the hills.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:38 PM   #42
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:

Watch out for Wisconsin too.

Those folks charge $297 and change for about 14 over. It's a total cash cow.

I asked the cop when I got yanked, if that was the standard out of town rate and he said to me, well, if it were only 10-12 over, it'd be about $175.00.

I said, why so much, and he said, well, you folks in IL have tolls. I said, what if I gave you .50? He wasn't amused as he handed me the ticket, which I had to pay on the spot with a credit card.

Granted I was speeding (not while towing), but still felt it was a little steep for 14 over.