Old 12-17-2006, 02:16 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
Does anyone know how to disconnect the daytime running lights on an 04 Sprinter, 05 Interstate ? jim
The department I work for recently switched our paddy wagons.....I mean delivery vans....from Fords to Sprinters. I asked the officer in charge of our fleet maintenance....(I mean the person in charge of our vehicles)....if we could have the daytime running lights disconnected so that we can run the vehicles in "stealth mode" when doing our patrols.....I mean deliveries and pick ups.....(in our higher crime areas.) Anyway, I was advised that currently we can't get the day time running lights disconnected due to the manner in which the vehicles electronics are set up. They are working to have that changed and if and when they do, I'll report back with the fix. Our Crown Victoria's have a kill switch for the daytime running lights, so I don't know why we can't kill the lights in the Sprinters.

Having stated that daytime running lights have been statistically proven to reduce vehicle collisions therefore I am in complete support of them. It is disappointing to hear that an officer would issue a ticket to someone for having a tail light burnt out, rather than give the driver the opportunity to rectify the problem first.....I hear that there are good cops and then there are GREAT cops....perhaps the member that got a ticket for the burnt out tail light met up with only a good cop that day

Old 12-17-2006, 06:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Yeah, issuing a ticket for a burned out bulb is pretty silly.

But has anyone had one for a burned out DRL? Remember, they aren't mandatory in the US, so I wonder what grounds they'd use to write the ticket.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:05 AM   #17
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater
Yeah, issuing a ticket for a burned out bulb is pretty silly.

But has anyone had one for a burned out DRL? Remember, they aren't mandatory in the US, so I wonder what grounds they'd use to write the ticket.
Their good old catch all..."Improper Equipment" I know that most law enforcement departments claim they don't have quotas but I honestly can't see the point in giving someone a ticket for burned out or missing bulbs. The one I got for the burned out bulb still gets my goat even though it happened over 20 years ago, what really got my goat at the time was I had a spare bulb in the glove compartment that I could and would have installed on the spot. And just for reference I was stopped once for having a low beam head light out, I kindly pointed out to the officer his right side head light was out too he went an hit the fender on the car and the light came back on, tried it on mine and it worked too...no ticket in that case.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't like daytime running lamps either and always turn them off if I remember to on the Suburban. DRLs don't do a whole heck of a lot, and frankly, there were studies I read (of course there are studies to prove anyone's point, but I agreed with this one) that simply said that DRLs cost consumers millions of gallons of oil a year keeping them on in the slight added load to the electrical systems, which in turn place a slight resistance on the alternator. Dunno how true that is, but I like to say when my lights are on. Additional studies also have said that the good that DRLs due is negligable. I also tend to agree. I mean really, in full sun, bright day, these lights don't do sqat anyway.

For those that like them and use them regularly, that's your call. If I could manually disable the enitre relay on an '04 Sub, I would. I have what GM use to call the twilight sentinel and that turns the regular lights on once it get darker out anyway. My feeling is that DRLs are like that old OSHA joke, "Cowboy after OSHA". The horse had antilock hooves, net around the whole saddle and air bags on the saddle. There is a point IMHO, where we just make things so antiseptic just to cover our behinds against lawsuits that it just makes little sense to me. IMHO, DRLs are a prime example of taking it too far.

Soapbox off.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:20 AM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
The ticket is "Safety Equipment" and it is the same as a burned out headlight. I had to fill out the form to prove it had been repaired. Basically it was an excuse to pull the person over and give them a ticket for not having their seatbelt buckled, which is not a primary stop offense here (yet). The burned-out bulb wound up costing the driver almost $300 in fines and court costs even though it was repaired and the ticket for THAT was only more-or-less a warning.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:04 PM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Yea, I never even considered that part of the equation. I see DRLs with one burned out all the time.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-17-2006, 02:11 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
One reason I don't like them is courtesy to others. Ever have the person near you in a campground decide to leave early before sunrise, I often do that and my lights on my Sprinter are BRIGHT { they are aimed properly] and they light up the world. So when I leave a campground early or leave for work at my usual time of 3:30 AM, I would rather not wake up the rest of the world! If I want my lights on during the day, I can turn them on MANUALLY. jim
Old 12-17-2006, 02:21 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi
One reason I don't like them is courtesy to others. Ever have the person near you in a campground decide to leave early before sunrise, I often do that and my lights on my Sprinter are BRIGHT { they are aimed properly] and they light up the world. So when I leave a campground early or leave for work at my usual time of 3:30 AM, I would rather not wake up the rest of the world! If I want my lights on during the day, I can turn them on MANUALLY. jim
I hear ya!
Old 12-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
From what I have found, you only need to pull some fuses to disable DRL and leave all other headlight funtions intact.
Old 12-17-2006, 05:21 PM   #24
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
On many newer vehicles, you can engage the parking brake to the first notch (before the brake engages) and the DRL's will shut down. Have you tried this?
Also, call me old-fashioned, but I don't like a car doing something without me telling it to. Automatic door locks, and automatic power seats, not to mention the automatic parking assist now available on some higher-end imports, to me is nothing but gadgetry to fuel sales for the manufacturers.
Old 12-17-2006, 06:47 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
You know, I run with my headlights in the camper on ALL the time, day or night, rain or shine. Wish they came on automatically so I wouldn't have to remember to turn them on during the day. Here's why:

1. I like the thought of people knowing I'm there. Maybe it'll make people think twice before pulling out in front of me if they realize they're going to have headlights right in their mirrors.

2. I like having the running lights on the tow dolly on, for two reasons: (a) I can easily see if the electrical plug is still connected, and (b) other drivers can easily see that they should be looking at the brake lights on the tow dolly, not the taillights in the towed vehicle.

I'll gladly pay the extra pennies this practice costs me. If it helps me avoid even one accident, I'm out WAY ahead. Even the bulb replacement isn't that expensive, especially for a vehicle that only goes a couple thousand miles/year.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:01 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrzowt
If you're worrying about it, that means that it hasn't happened yet. (And may not)
Exactly

Bob
Old 12-17-2006, 09:04 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I don't agree that you should disable a safety item, IMO you could get a ticket for disabeling your DRL in some jurisdictions.

But if you are commited to this, why not just pull the bulbs? Or are they not a seperate bulb?
Dave
Old 12-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Driving with lights on in daytime, according to the reports, is 17% safer. A small price to pay for insurance.

Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote