Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Day Zero Gear

We're expecting delivery of our 2017 Interstate GT at the end of April. We are experienced travelers and long distance motorcyclists, but this is our first RV. As Interstate gurus, do you have recommendations on "Day Zero" gear specific to the Interstate or small motorhomes, stuff we seriously need to have to make our first overnight a non-disaster.

I've found lots of generic checklists for RV packing on the Internet, so I'm not looking for a repeat of the obvious. Nor am I looking for farkles that we will add over time as our whims dictate. But is there something that you kick yourself for not (or pride yourself for) thinking of on your first trip?
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bellevue , Washington
We were over prepared so no, no regrets on the first trip. We have lightened up since then. Some essentials for us:

1. Spare fuses. Look in the fuse panel and get an extra couple for all of them. Most important is the Macerator 20 amp which blows up often and without it, you are in serious trouble!

2. Bottled water. We use the tank for washing, etc. but bring our own water.

3. A tool bag and flashlight. Rotated the driver seat for the first time but could not rotate it back! Imagine getting stranded for that. Used my tools to fix and make it rotate.

4. If it is cold and you will be plugging in, a small electric portable heater. It is more quiet, smells less and can be put where you want. And of course "free" to run.

5. A cell phone holder for my phone to use Google maps. What is inside dash is secondary. And to that end, a dual output tiny but high-current USB charger that plugs into cigarette lighter. The feed from my in-dash unit could not keep my Samsung Edge phone charged up.

6. We use the green tablets to keep the black tank fresh. Some people don't.

7. Our dealer gave us fresh water hoses, 20 amp adapter and such. Bought a bag to put the unwieldy power cord in. They are sold on Amazon for jumper cables.

8. A few disposable gloves kept in driver door pocket for dirty diesel pump handles.

9. Of course soap dispenser, paper towel, trash can bag, etc.

10. A few USB cords at appropriate lengths for using the tablet at night, etc.

This is it really. As you use the coach you will think of stuff you can use. In general in an RV you are always close to shopping so it is not like you have to go home to get stuff.

Congratulations by the way. We bought ours last year and it is the best (expensive) purchase we have made! Can't wait to start to use it again in a few weeks.
amirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:27 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Condoms, toothbrushes, tissues and remember to gas up....propane as well as diesel.

Not neccessarily in that order.

Cheers
Tony

PS Also if one of you has a case of flatulence, be honest and give a heads up as the other person has only a second or two, and no where to run.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
To Amirm's list I would add a dump hose (if not supplied by dealer), extra water hose, 30 A extension cord and maybe a 20 A extension cord as well. (You can never have too much hose or too much cord.)

A few LED flashlights. Leveling blocks. We use the plastic "Lego" style.

A positive attitude and a good supply of your favorite alcoholic beverage(s).

Good luck, and welcome to the Airstreaming community!

P. S. Farkles?
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 06:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvite-F View Post
... P. S. Farkles?
Farkles = motorcycling term for vital and/or totally useless after-sales accessories you add to your bike. Known to increase the cost of a bike by 50%.

See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

Old 03-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Take a positive attitude, an open mind to the new people you will meet, and embrace the varied and wonderful experiences you will have in your new Interstate.

It is an exceptional way to explore the country, carrying with you your well-equipped, mini-house on your back.

Have a great time!

Maggie
Old 03-26-2017, 07:24 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I had to look up farkles as well (before I got to the end of the thread).

It depends a great deal on the type of travel that will dominate for you. My husband and I boondock almost exclusively, so what goes with that lifestyle is very different from a campground lifestyle. Furthermore we've been working toward a condition in which long-terming is possible. Ditto, because in that scenario the Interstate has to perform all the same functions as a house, and suddenly a farkle might take on an outsized importance.

For short initial trips, not yet knowing the style of tripping (so to speak), the items I would add are:

(1) One of those Camco or other brand collapsible brooms. I have mine mounted to the side of our fresh water tank like a Texan would mount a shotgun in the rear window of his or her truck cab. You will find yourself sweeping daily. Some people prefer portable vacuums. I've yet to try any of those, but I might get one now that we have a lithium system, because I don't like the idea of unsweepable debris accumulating around the batteries (dirt manages to get everywhere in an Interstate).

(2) A toiletries bag dedicated to the Interstate (no swapping stuff back and forth with the stick and brick house - that's a time-waster) that keeps EVERYTHING you'll need in one place, including towel and washcloth, whether showering inside or outside the rig. I use this one and I love it.

(3) For logistical smoothness, it's perhaps a good idea to determine in advance what you need in the way of bedding, and how you're going to store it. This is a sticking point for many people. Bedding is bulky and the Interstate is small. Some people really want the ability to make up a conventional bed in a stick-and-brick style - it's important to them. My husband and I gave up on that idea entirely, and are perfectly satisfied storing sleeping bags and a couple of Rumpl blankets under the couch. But the one thing we won't compromise on are pillows. We have two Tempurpedic Symphony pillows which are large and not compressible. We chose to dedicate a storage place for those right next to one of the rear wheel wells (they muffle some road noise).

(4) Start thinking early about how you will accomplish shoe management. To date, I've published 106 blog posts, and until last month when I published my review of the Houston RV Show, my number one blog post by hit count was the one I wrote about storing shoes in a Class B RV, because it's just such a pain for people.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:34 AM   #8
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Duct tape, pocket knife and 50' orange extension cord. You can McGiver a lot of stuff outta those three items.

And beer. Never forget the beer.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #9
c21
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Coach
Arroyo Grande & Central Point , California & Oregon
You've gotten lots of suggestions on "Day Zero Gear" so I wont go there. What I will suggest is one very important mod you should consider. I would highly recommend getting a set of Borg Dually Valves and have them professionally installed. The installer will balance your rear wheels at installation but have them balance the fronts also and perform a front end alignment too. The dually valves will make it much easier to air your rear duals plus give you the ability to add a tire pressure monitor system if you choose to do so. The model number of the Dually Valves you need are DL1SPAL.
c21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
We bought our AI in Ca. and flew out to get it so our first trip was a two-weeker back to the Midwest. We ordered a queen sized foam topper on-line and had it sent to the Ca. dealer. We have never tried sleeping without it, so I can't say it was a 'must', but we sure like it. The rest of the stuff we had for our first two-week trip was brought in two suitcase and one duffle bag - and bought at Walmarts on the trip home. We (ok, my wife) used to sweep daily. Then we cut a piece of carpet for the entire floor. Very nice and toasty on barefeet - and now we (she) uses a 12V vacuum daily. Works great - or so she says.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
I would add to make sure you run your furnace for 30 minutes or so with your windows open and exhaust fan on before you take it out. It will burn off the oils used in the manufacturing process and will also be a good test for your smoke alarm!
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I don't know what the obvious things are.

Whatever odds and ends you bring….carry them in a bucket, which comes in handy.

A cooler is great for things that won't fit in the tiny fridge. Great for drinks, ok beer, so you don't have to open the fridge every 15 minutes.

Handy Wipes help your water supply last.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 05:25 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TayaraTravel View Post
Farkles = motorcycling term for vital and/or totally useless after-sales accessories you add to your bike. Known to increase the cost of a bike by 50%.

See http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=farkle

And I thought it was a reference to the Laugh In Farkle family.

Since neither of what appear to be radar detectors on the left side are Valentine Ones, suspect there's a slot somewhere for holding all of the tickets.

Run your furnace before you actually need it as it has been reported that the initial use burns off some oily (?) coating which is unpleasant.

Good luck w/ your new AI and have fun. Do you plan to pull the bikes?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #14
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Just go for it.

If you have a cell phone and a major credit card, you're pretty much invincible!

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Good luck w/ your new AI and have fun. Do you plan to pull the bikes?
No plan to pull bikes. The AI is for different types of trips, and we want to stay maneuverable, not pulling a trailer behind.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Thanks to all. Good ideas we have noted.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:43 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
Leigh and Bettie,

I'm sure you are getting excited. I'm still working on a date to respond to Interblog for May. Have an AR Africa Twin trip getting in the way of settling in on an option.

All good suggestions here, I'll add a few things or elaborate a bit.

1) On the tools, I bought a MC Cruztools bag (as a motorcyclist I'm sire you are familiar with this). Compact and stores nicely. Add to it some 3M VHB tape, tie-wraps and duct-tape. Take the advice on the fuses. I had the 5 amp rear shade fuse go 3 times, before the blind motor actually failed. Guess it was telling me something. Add a tire pressure gauge.

2) Outdoor chairs. That is why we go camping, not to hang out inside.

3) An outside door mat. I plop this down everywhere we go. Helps keep the inside clean

4) Coffee (french press).

5) Good to have some entertainment already downloaded on the laptop incase the weather holds you up inside, there is poor reception and you want to watch a movie. I can only read for so long.

6) Gloves to deal with the Gray and Black Tank. I also keep gloves in the driver door. I've had two diesel pumps that made a mess. Especially if you stop at a truck stop with high flow pumps.

7) Jean would tell Bettie reading and writing material and some great chocolates, tea and biscuits.

8) Water bottle to keep next to the bed. Pain to get up.

9) Throw in some Command Hooks and Velcro. You'll find immediate use.

10) A Water Filter. You can get them at Camping World or Holiday World when you pick the rig up.

11) Something to start a fire with. Hey your camping. We always have a Smore supplies.

12) Yes on the toiletries bag (and bath towels and shower shoes). You'll find it more satisfying using the camp showers (unless Boon Docking)

13) We find the Bounty Paper Towels that have Dawn detergent in them very convenient.

14) Jean requires a foot stool for the passenger seat to be comfortable.

15) GSI Outdoors Pinnacle Camper Cookset - They are at REI

16) Binder Clips to hold the door shades up during the day to allow light in the front of the coach.

17) REI Co-op Camp Roll Table to use outside. I carry 2. One for the grill and one for the Wine and Cheese

18) If you have a bike rack. Take the bikes.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
And for some Day Zero Options close by:

Weekend Trips
Brackenridge Park and Campground
Mother Neff just north of Austin
Golliad State Park
Quintana Beach County Park
Dellenara RV Park (private) on Galveston Beach
Hidden Falls - Marble Falls
Medina high point resort
Sam Houston National Forest
Sabine National Forest
Davy Crockett National Forest
Angelina National Forest
Kisatchie National Forest
Homochitto National Forest

- Galveston (Sandpiper RV Resort, Jamaica Beach, Galveston Island State Park, Dellanera RV Park, Galveston Island RV Resort)
- I.B Magee Beach Park (200 miles)
321 N on the Beach
Port Aransas, TX 78373
- Mustang Island, 17047 STATE HWY 361, Port Aransas TX 78373
- Padre Balli Park, 15820 Park Road, Corpus Christi
- Padre Island National Seashore, Park road 22
- Isla Blanca Park, South Padre
- The Big Thicket

We really like Rayburn. Hidden Gem with hook-ups and great sunrises over the lake.
Mcrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:27 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Bellingham , Washington
Day Zero Stuff

This is all good info and reassuring. We bought our AI in November figuring we would get at least one or two weekends to get a feel for things before we take off on an 8 week trip. Due to weather and other commitments the trial runs never happened. I retire on Friday. On about April 10 we will be launching the trip.

We have an RV Superbag, an outside grill, a small table, our folding chairs and new Lifeline batteries. We may need a foam mattress topper under the Superbag. We will play it by ear as we travel with our credit card and an open mind.
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrider View Post
Leigh and Bettie,...
Thanks! The inevitable followup questions:

>> 1) On the tools, I bought a MC Cruztools bag

Metric or English? There are a bunch of different packages, do you remember which one?

>>Add a tire pressure gauge.

Another post recommended special valves for the dually rear wheels. Did you install these? Or did the dealer?

>> 10) A Water Filter. You can get them at Camping World or Holiday World when you pick the rig up.

Is this an inline filter for water going into the RV? Or coming out of the tank at the galley sink?