Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2014, 07:26 PM   #1

Melrose , Massachusetts
Daily Driver in New England?

Hi Everyone,

Just looking for feedback.

Does anyone use their Interstate as a daily driver in New England? I am currently considering purchasing but I am concerned with all the salt and winter damage to the items in the lower part of the chassis. Especially after this winter so far.

Thanks...
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
Does anyone use their Interstate as a daily driver in New England? I am currently considering purchasing but I am concerned with all the salt and winter damage to the items in the lower part of the chassis. Especially after this winter so far.
An Interstate van is no different from any other vehicle in that regard. If you would drive any other car on a salted roadway, you can drive an Interstate van on one. Plus the lower body molding on an Interstate is all plastic.

When all is said and done, the Sprinter vans that are used for the conversion are heavy-duty commercial vehicles, not wimpy passenger cars. Salt can damage them in time just like it can any other vehicle, but an Interstate will stand up to salt better than would a Mercedes passenger car.

That said, it would still behoove you to visit a truck wash when the weather warms above freezing, and have them hose off the underside to wash off any accumulated salt.
Old 01-26-2014, 09:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We were considering a Sprinter camper conversion before we bought our first Airstream four years ago. It was the extensive corrosion visible on the body of commercial Sprinters in Minnesota with its heavily salted winter roads that convinced us to buy a truck and travel trailer instead. Quite a bit worse I thought than cars of the same period, and I don't think it's gotten any better.

Take a look at other Sprinter vans that are used in your area during winter.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:11 AM   #4

Melrose , Massachusetts
Thank you for the feedback. With all the components mounted under the vehicle, I guess it is a bit of a gamble.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:43 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
If you do get one, be sure to take Protag's advice and get the bottom washed periodically.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Mont Vernon , New Hampshire
My mechanic in NH has told me that spray on under coatings of lanolin are being used instead of oil or other chemicals for rust protection and that they fare well on our salty roads.
bugsbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 03:23 AM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsbunny View Post
My mechanic in NH has told me that spray on under coatings of lanolin are being used instead of oil or other chemicals for rust protection and that they fare well on our salty roads.
That makes sense. Anhydrous lanolin is commonly used as a lubricant and rust preventative on the rigging of sailboats.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:32 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Indeed the days are long gone of massive body rot due to road salt. There is more to this to consider though....

Even if lower body panels are protected and/or non-corrosive, the brine is being flushed into every mechanical part and fastener on the chassis. If you have ever had to do suspension or brake work on a salted car, you know what I mean.

If your interest in using the Interstate as a daily driver is in saving money by getting rid of your primary car and using the Interstate for commuting, shopping, picking up the kids etc, I suggest it may be false economy.

Figure the true cost per mile of driving the Interstate daily. You should consider not just fuel, but maintenance, tires, repairs and insurance. Also factor in the depreciation of the Interstate which will be significant if it becomes a high mileage salt driven RV.

Compare that to the cost per mile of driving an inexpensive used car or one you have already taken the depreciation hit on.

I have a feeling in that scenario it could quite possibly be cheaper to drive the winter car and keep the Interstate pristine and salt free.

If on the other hand, your interest in using the Interstate as a daily driver is because you just love driving it everywhere you can, then that's a whole other story. - Then I'd say, the heck with the spread sheets, go for it
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
Like Doug, I've been shocked to see the amount of rust on 1st-generation commercial Sprinters, usually on body seams along the bottom and halfway up the body. Have even seen a 2nd-gen with some bubbles around body seams. And this is CT which isn't as heavy on salt as some other places. Given that my employer had multiple E350s with no rust after 10 years, this would be disappointing.

Interestingly, I've only seen one Class B Sprinter with similar damage. Don't know if they're painted better or if it's because of less exposure/more care than a commercial unit.

Are Interstates painted "better" than a base Sprinter? Curious.

Tom
Old 01-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #10

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutcth View Post
Are Interstates painted "better" than a base Sprinter? Curious.
Don't think so. But the "effects" molding around the bottom of the side panels is all plastic, and there are rudimentary mudflaps on all four wheelwells. I haven't dealt with salted roads, but I have driven over roads with a fair coating of dust and/or mud over the asphalt near construction sites, and never ended up with dirt accumulated on the side panels.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
I drove my Interstate when I owned it to work every day. I saved money by being able to prepare my lunch in the van instead of buying it, saving much money and allowing me to take a restful break every day. My fuel costs were minimally more than driving my truck. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:03 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
When using a truck wash for undercarriage cleaning, are there any issues of parts or components being damaged; generator, exhausts...
aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
When using a truck wash for undercarriage cleaning, are there any issues of parts or components being damaged; generator, exhausts...
Never had a problem with undercarriage spraying at the Blue Beacon truck wash chain. But I do remind them not to spray directly into the furnace exhaust on the driver's side…
Old 01-28-2014, 05:29 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Lancaster , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa9zz View Post
Many of the car washes (in the Northeast) recycle their used water to be used again in the wash and rinse cycles. This water will have large amounts of salt in it which is just as bad. To eliminate that always use the spot free rinse on all your undercarriage as a final step. The spot free water has gone through a reverse osmosis process reducing any of thet total disolved solids (salt) that may be in the water.
fb47243 is offline   Reply With Quote