Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-16-2015, 01:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Cost of Viper in new Sprinter?

After reading Protags comments some time ago and two St Loius breakins of Sprinters I'm ready to put Viper in my 2016 Sprinter Grand Tour-which I LOVE! Can anyone help me with what it should cost? Are there varies options of systems that I should get?

There is an electronics shop where I am now that has put in a lot of Vipers but not in Sprinter. Is that a problem?

Thanks
Bobsprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 01:51 PM   #2
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Viper alarms are modular, so price can vary widely depending on which modules you get. Plus I had mine installed in early 2012, so my pricing is three years out-of-date.

One module that wasn't available when I bought mine, but which I am thinking of adding when the budget allows, is the Android phone interface, so that instead of carrying around an alarm remote, the alarm system can text me whenever something sets it off, and I can use a phone app to arm and disarm the system. Unlimited range, as long as both you and the van are somewhere that has cell phone coverage.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Viper can be hacked along with most remotes for cars. Article in Wired, "Tiny device unlocks cars . . . "
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:29 PM   #4

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Viper can be hacked along with most remotes for cars. Article in Wired, "Tiny device unlocks cars . . . "
True. No security system is foolproof. Which is one reason why I haven't— and won't— install the remote-start module. Being able to break in and steal contents is one thing. Being able to break in and steal the whole van is quite another.

But in the overall scheme of things, if you live in— or expect to visit— an area where vehicular burglaries are worrisome, having the alarm is better than not having it. The number of burglars that would be dissuaded by an alarm is much higher than the number of hackers who could defeat the alarm system.
Old 08-16-2015, 02:37 PM   #5
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It's a bad surprise to find out after installation that it can be hacked. The article is worth reading.

My son just put a Viper in his Toyota SUV. I stuck with the RAVELCO key for my truck as it is mechanical in nature. More important to me that vehicle remains where it is.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
True. No security system is foolproof. Which is one reason why I haven't— and won't— install the remote-start module. Being able to break in and steal contents is one thing. Being able to break in and steal the whole van is quite another.
Can they get it out of Park w/o a real key?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 05:29 PM   #7

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Can they get it out of Park w/o a real key?
Don't know. Didn't think it through that far, darn it!