Old 07-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2009 22' Interstate
Covington , Louisiana
Question Connecting Trailer Brake Controller on 2008 Interstate

Need advice from anyone that has info on connecting an electric brake controller on the 2007 Sprinter/ 2008 Interstate. There is a vague reference in the owner's manual but no specifics. I have not been able to find a factory connector (as many other vehicles have) to tie into the wiring harness under the dash. The wiring under the dash is so "sanitary" that it appears to be a challenge to tie into the brake wiring, so it would be nice to hear from someone who has already done it.

Anyone out there?

solar-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:33 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
I have a 03 sprinter which is different body style. However the dealer had a trailer brake power loom and plug wiring kit. It came with really detailed step by step instructions, every detailed explained. It took me about 6 hours to do the whole thing but if you did not know better you can't tell it's not a factory install.

You can do it,

SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2009 22' Interstate
Covington , Louisiana
Thanks! Was that from the Airstream dealer or a Sprinter dealer?
Old 07-28-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Either one should help. Might be a ha rness in the glove box or with the tool kit. The AS dealer hooked mine up but it had the factory hitch and that may have helped. Check the Sprinter Forum fo more info than you need. Jim
1984 Avion 30p 9.1 meter. 2006 Dodge 3500 cummins srw short bed crew cab.
avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:10 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2009 22' Interstate
Covington , Louisiana
Success Declared! Talked to Airstream and they informed me that on my 2008 Airstream (2007 Sprinter) there is a 4 pin wiring connector meant for a trailer brake controller.....Get This...Under the Driver's seat! I was able to tie into that wiring (had to cut the plug off) and run 4 wires back up under the dash to mount my controller there.

PS if you haven't ever looked under your driver's seat...DO IT, there's a lot of electrical, one mysterious in-line fuse, several other empty plugs as well as your battery isolator under there.

2007, brake, controller, sprinter, trailer