Old 09-13-2014, 09:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Los Gatos , California
Concern About Buying 2015 Interstate EXT..

My wife and I are not only new to the Interstate, we are brand new to RV'ing, hoping to start our retirement with a good amount of time on the road. We have looked very carefully at the new Interstate and spent a good deal of time at the dealer today test-driving and asking a million questions. One big problem (or at least a concern): we live at least 80 miles from any Airstream dealer, and service visits or warranty repairs that require the AS dealer will be a major operation, especially if the work requires leaving the vehicle. I have read through a lot of the comments about typical problems with new RV's, and it sounds like being closer to a dealer would be very important. Any guidance from experience would be really appreciated!

tlundell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Hi Tim and welcome to the forum!

I do understand your concern, however I don't think 80 miles is too far. If you do choose to purchase the Interstate you should consider yourself lucky. I would be willing to bet that the majority of owners live further than 80 miles away from the nearest service center. With a little planning when service is necessary it really shouldn't be that big of a hassle.

Hope to see you on the road soon!

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
San Diego , California
Closer to a dealer is always better. With that said, I have been back one time in 12,000 miles. It could have been avoided if my dealer had checked to make sure my AC worked on generator power. Was an easy fix and was able to pick back up the same day I dropped it off, hence the closer the better. I am only about 10 miles away from my dealer.
Ron_CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
Springfield , Missouri
I think the question is are you handy at making small repairs. I bought mine in Aug. 2013 and have put on 20,000 miles and never had a warranty claim and never been in for a repair. That's not to say it hasn't had small issues, for example I had a bathroom light quit and propane shut off valve fail. In both instances I got on Amazon, ordered the part and fixed it myself. Of course you could have a warranty issue or two but I would be surprised if it was more than that.

Jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
I live 80 miles from the nearest Airstream dealer. And 66 miles in the other direction from the nearest Sprinter dealer. And, being single, I can't exactly hit up the missus to follow me to either dealer if I need to drop off the Airstream for service that will take longer than a day.

Fortunately, both dealers are open on Saturdays… well, the Airstream service department isn't open, but at least I can drop off or pick up the vehicle on Saturday. (That problem goes away in a few months when I retire and don't have to wait for the weekend, though.)

But the problem of having dealers so far away is just one more reason why I bought a vehicle suitable to use as a toad. I can hitch up the car to the arse end of the Airstream, and tow the car to whichever dealer. Then I unhitch and drive home in the toad after dropping off the Airstream.

And, if I have to drop off the Honda, same thing; I tow the Honda to the dealer in the Airstream, drop it off, and use the Airstream as my daily driver until the Honda is repaired.

It all works out. A roadside assistance provider that offers unlimited free towing might pay for itself the first time you need to take your Airstream in when it's not driveable, though.

And besides, compared to some Airstream owners, having an Airstream dealer only 80 miles away isn't far at all! Some people drive hundreds of miles to get their Airstreams repaired!
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 01:34 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Sedona , Arizona
You should ask your local dealer whether they can provide you with a loaner car while your Interstate is in for service or repairs. Some of them do, and for me it was a major decision maker.
UKDUDE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
2012 Interstate Coach
Los Gatos , California
Another thing to consider is if any local shops can do the repair(s)/recalls.

Due to parking issues in my neighborhood, I store my AS at a local RV storage facility. They also do repairs and maintenance; however, they are not an authorized AS repair facility.

That being said, I've had them perform 2 two 'recalls' for me. One was the cover over the inverter/electrical setup under the lounge seat. There was an issue with a seat belt potentially contacting some live wires. A simple installation of a cover fixed that issue. I don't recall what the other recall item was.

However, both were easy to perform. I asked if I could do them myself, but AS refused to send me the parts. They did, however agree to sending the parts to the storage shop who ended up doing the repairs. The shop was able to invoice AS for their time. I thought that was a great win/win situation for all of us and I appreciated AS flexibility for doing so. That said, 2.5 years later and 17,000+ miles! I have never had the need to return to the dealer. Like many others on the forum, I am handy with tools and like to fix things. If I took my AS to the dealer for every little issue, I would have spent a lot of time there. I think it all comes down to your comfort level and desire to fix your own small items. If you have the time and ability, being far from a dealer is not bad. If you don't have the desire/ability/time, being closer to a dealer might be better for you.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
kaylorsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I live in Maryland and my dealer is in New Jersey. I've been to the dealer once on 40,000 miles for the propane regulator recall and to get a new Macerator pump. I've had other minor warranty issues that I fixed myself with part from the dealer. They have been good about sending me the parts and a return label so I can send them back the broken part.

- - Mike
2013 AS Interstate on 2012 MB Sprinter
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
North central , Florida
Any drivetrain problems can be fixed at an AS dealer that sells Interstates, not all do. However a Sprinter dealer can fix the drivetrain problems. House problems must be taken to an AS dealer, but usually these do not keep you from driving. Jim

avionstream is online now   Reply With Quote