Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 02:30 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sequim , Washington
Comcast converter

The RV park we're in provides a Comcast box to enable the TV, with no instructions or assistance. It can't be that hard to connect in and out and power. The box does not have an HDMI connection. Where does the Cat 5 cable go that is in the overhead? I have to get the TV working before the Gonzaga game on Saturday or I'll be in trouble with my wife!
mcaleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 03:09 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Should be a coax input in the outside compartment where the sewage dump switches reside. That's the cable TV input on my 2014.5.

Press the button to turn off the light in the TV booster box when connecting to cable.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:15 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Sequim , Washington
Thanks, but the cable at the Naples RV park needs a Comcast (which the park provides) converter or decoder installed between the coax and the TV. In the overhead there are two unused and unmarked wires. one has an HDMI connector. The Comcast decoder/converter has in and out CAT 5 connections.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:26 AM   #4
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaleer View Post
Thanks, but the cable at the Naples RV park needs a Comcast (which the park provides) converter or decoder installed between the coax and the TV. In the overhead there are two unused and unmarked wires. one has an HDMI connector. The Comcast decoder/converter has in and out CAT 5 connections.
To my knowledge CAT 5 (RJ45) connectors are never used for A/V signals; they are used for Ethernet (Internet) only. Did you mean a F (RG-6/U) connector for coax cable?

It would be helpful to post more information about the Comcast box. How about a picture of the manufacturer's label containing the model number as well as a picture of the connectors you're talking about?
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2018 Interstate Lounge Ext
LV , Nevada
MACALEER - Connect coax cable as JOHN said. Also, as KPM said, there should not be any CAT5 connections on any cable boxes that are for cable tv use. Unless, if they supplied you a cable modem in which case you get an ethernet connection via said CAT5 and your viewing pleasure is via the internet (Netflix, Hulu, etc) , assuming your tv has a LAN port. Pics would help if you still can't figure it out.
Alex AVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Dayton , Montana
Internet TV

If in fact they are sharing the internet connection through cat 5, you will need a ROKU box to take advantage of the Comcast Xfinity streaming service. It is new, in BETA, and not available for Apple TV yet. You would need to activate it with a Comcast account.

I really doubt the park would make something that much hassle.
Pez Vela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
mcaleer - Hopefully, you have successfully used a standard cable connection to your TV at a previous park. Just repeat the standard connection between your trailer and the site post.

Inside, be sure to turn OFF the antenna booster inside. Place the Comcast box (typically a small playing card size unit) between the antenna wall connection and your TV using coax cable, e.g., the line should run from the wall to the box (in) and the box (out) to the TV (in). [some converter boxes also have a HDMI plug for the box to TV leg]

Connect the converter box's power cord to a 110-120v source. Choose the 'cable' choice, not antenna, to search for channels. Viola, you are ready to view.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:27 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
If in fact they are sharing the internet connection through cat 5, you will need a ROKU box to take advantage of the Comcast Xfinity streaming service. It is new, in BETA, and not available for Apple TV yet. You would need to activate it with a Comcast account.

I really doubt the park would make something that much hassle.
I misspoke on the Cat 5. I have connected the Xfinity box between the wall and tv.
But,what is the purpose of the four cables (photos attached)?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181216_112837.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	329764   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181216_112830.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	329765  

Old 12-16-2018, 11:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcaleer View Post
I misspoke on the Cat 5. I have connected the Xfinity box between the wall and tv.
But,what is the purpose of the four cables (photos attached)?
MCALEER - on my 2018, the satellite pre-wires are in that area, not pulled, but behind the panel, ready to be pulled out (if/when). I only assume they are same for 2014/5
Old 12-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #10
Rivet Master

LV , Nevada
MCALEER - Or in-motion tv antenna pre-wire if the antenna is not already installed?