Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2014, 08:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Basking Ridge , New Jersey
Cold weather tailgating

Hi all. As you may know I'm a new owner of a 2014.5 lounge ext. I'm going to practice tailgate today at our neighborhood Turkeybowl gathering. Temperature is a balmy 28 rising to 40. I'll be running the furnace a bit to provide a "warming hut". Do I need to run the generator or just keep an eye on battery level. And at what point should I crank up the generator?

Thanks in advance for this community of users

SB

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Hey SB

With a full battery charge, you should be good for 8 hours. The furnace blower depletes the battery more than any other stock equipment. Know that a battery reading 12 volts is considered dead. A resting voltage( about 8 hours after charging ) of at least 12.6 is considered full. While charging…your batts could be around 13.4 volts.
In answer to your question, crank up the jenny when you get close to 12 volts. I have a little cheap meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter style socket.
I recommend having two batteries, and unplug the trailer from the tow vehicle so you won't run down it's battery
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Just keep an eye on the solar controller display panel..... press the black button repeatedly until it displays the battery charge in percentage. It's a matter of opinion, but my opinion is not to let it go below 50%.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 03:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Hmmm ..... tailgate gathering ..... warming hut - I'm guessing door open and shut a lot - tours of the trailer - door left open a lot - pretty much all lights on - water pump running more than usual ..... I think I'd be running the generator from the get-go - then forget about any monitoring of the voltage and join the party .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:51 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Basking Ridge , New Jersey
Thanks everyone for your hints and suggestions, There were a lot of tours and showing, there were other warming sources (patio heaters, fire pit). At one point the batteries appeared to be down at 65% so I cranked up the generator to give it some exercise. All in all a great afternoon.

Silver 2014.5 Interstate EXT
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote