Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2016, 11:41 AM   #21
HotelCaliGal

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
1991 35' Airstream 350
portola valley , California
We have used these fun serape bags from Junk Gypsies...
They come in lots of fun colors so everyone can have their personal bag color so easily identifiable. They stack like they are drawers and if they fall out no damamge and no mess. Can be taken inside to pack before trip and then stacked in whatever locations you have. Lots of fun
http://gypsyville.com/wander-inn-ser...ender-bag.html

They have lots of fun things on theiir site for trailer living!!
Dianne
Driftin Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #22

1966 17' Caravel
Tallahassee , Florida
Those reusable cloth grocery totes work great. Cost about a buck if you can't find them for free. If you need a few that are a smaller size find some made for wine bottles.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:15 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
Atascadero , Texas and California
Clothing Organization in Overhead Bins

Anytime we are traveling in our AI and have several events to deal with or a wide range of weather expected we take our hitch mounted "Stow Away 2."
We can also fit in our lounge chairs, small folding table, extra 30 amp cord, levelers,etc. Makes access so easy!
The best use for the StowAway is packing those extra clothes that you need as events or weather changes.
The StowAway is water resistance but not 100% water proof so we pack our clothes in Eagle Creek "No Matter What" duffel bags. They are water proof and pack nicely in the StowAway.
Like others we pack our overhead bins with individual Storage bags. We also use Eagle Creek brand bags.
Doug Odom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 03:37 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
I added an open wire shelf in each overhead. Used a 1x2 and screwed it into the side walls of the cabinet. Used u clamps to hold the wire rack in place. Get the wire racks with the short lip and have it at the front to help hold things in place, somewhat. These wire racks are the ones used in closets in a house. You might figure length and have them cut at the store. Measure the depth. I got the 12 inch ones and this determined where I mounted them.
Skykiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 05:58 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Most grocery stores have fruits and some veggies in heavy cardboard boxy trays.
I found four of them that fit inside the upper bins of the FC, and use them for:
One for underdrawers, one for T-shirts or similar, my socks go to the left in the open space not covered by the 'trays'. A swim suit goes there too.
My Hi-Lo had room for four larger ones, labeled for 'whatever', me on one side, wifey on the other.
The AS has smaller bins, so I went smaller trays. It works.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 07:24 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
We started using Eagle Creek packing cubes in duffels for international travel years ago and just continued using them in the Airstream. Full cubes stand on edge (like books) in the bedroom overhead compartments with about zero wasted space. We use a different one for each type of garment; underwear, socks, shirts, pants, etc. Ours are various colors but adding Harbor Freight key tags to the zipper pull provides a clear label.

As others have mentioned other manufacturers sell these now so the ridiculous Eagle Creek prices can be avoided.
BillfromWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:56 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
We all have packing cubes. Each has a set in their own color. They work well for the luggage but are odd shaped for the overhead bins. I will go back and retry again.

I think our biggest hurdle is just now realizing that we have traveled so much by suitcase that this is just a different animal. Our kids are awesome at packing and living out of a suitcase for 10 days. So, this shouldn't be a stretch. It isn't our first time out of the house.

I showed my husband the tubes idea. We don't have time to try it before our first mini trip.

We have looked into a hitch storage bin. My husband found one that swings away so the back doors can still be accessed without removing everything. After much discussion, we are also throwing around the idea of selling the Interstate and getting a slightly larger Sprinter RV. We love our AI and all the fun, travels, memories, and family time we have shared in it. I just must tame the clothing disaster!

Thank you for all the suggestions, ideas, and experience shared. Our OCD travels thank you! I'll try to report back if it worked. You guys are such an amazing source of help!
Old 10-11-2016, 03:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
With growing "kids" [plural] a larger RV may be the answer IMO. Get the one you will need in 5-10 years, also IMO! It might be "silly" to aim too low . . .

Have fun on your trips.

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:14 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I think that one of the links posted above was for my upper cabinet food-storage solution, not the one for clothing storage. Here's the latter (I was wondering why I was getting off-thread questions when the link had been posted... because it turns out that a different link had been posted).

MAXIMIZING 'TRIANGULAR' AIRSTREAM CABINET EFFICIENCY, PART 1: CLOTHING
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I think that one of the links posted above was for my upper cabinet food-storage solution, not the one for clothing storage. Here's the latter (I was wondering why I was getting off-thread questions when the link had been posted... because it turns out that a different link had been posted).

MAXIMIZING 'TRIANGULAR' AIRSTREAM CABINET EFFICIENCY, PART 1: CLOTHING
This is the perfect visual. Thanks! I cannot wait to show my husband.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:21 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
Ours aren't so "round". So it should make cutting these easier. They are just weird spaces.

I attached a photo of the overhead storage along the wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ai-7.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	273388  
Old 10-17-2016, 03:22 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Coastal , Mississippi
PVC clothing storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
There was another Air Forums user who was going to try my idea only with PVC square fence posts, for even greater space efficiency. I never heard back from her on how she fared.
What a great idea! We used the square fence post. I know this will work so much better than having to take a container out of the compartment and rifle through it to find the wanted item.
Lady Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:14 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
2008 Base Camp
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Geneva , Florida
These plastic containers almost fit perfectly. From Home Depot or lowes. Just a little wasted space at the back/bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7739.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	273699   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7741.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	199.2 KB
ID:	273700  

altlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:01 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Southaven , Mississippi
We use these for packing clothes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this goes across the front behind the drivers and passenger seat to hang the clothes we take off at night: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Have yet to pick up our 2017 Grand Tour (next week!), but trying to get organized ahead of time. Could anyone give me dimensions of the space below the rear sofa? Looking at these storage "bags" from Container Store and wanting the largest that will fit and not waste space...
Available sizes:
16" x 12" x 8" h
24" x 12" x 10" h
24" x 18" x 15" h
30" x 18" x 8" h

txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:24 PM   #36
Rivet Master

I have a ridged routine.

I open the overhead compartment door. I shove clothes in there. Then I close the overhead compartment door.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:09 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Auburn , Georgia
[QUOTE=txntravlr;1871834]Have yet to pick up our 2017 Grand Tour (next week!), but trying to get organized ahead of time. Could anyone give me dimensions of the space below the rear sofa? Looking at these storage "bags" from Container Store and wanting the largest that will fit and not waste space...
Available sizes:
16" x 12" x 8" h
24" x 12" x 10" h
24" x 18" x 15" h
30" x 18" x 8" h

30 x 18 x 8 would fit.
Space under center without binding is 31 W x 20 D x 11 H This will clear bed slideout bracket, motor wiring and mechanism. The two doors under the rear seat will only allow items about 5" deep with a container in place. The space on the right side looking from the rear is about 24 x 12 but the support for the head extension board won't allow a rigid container to turn the corner to fit. I have a duffle bag 24x12x12 that twists enough to squeeze in the space. The built-in storage in the floor will fill up fast with hoses, power cords, and other necessary camping junk.
Congrats on the new Airstream. It can be at times
GETRIDAONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:53 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would strongly suggest you get the packing cubes linked by Dalwyn a few posts back, or something similar, as you will find soft sides much more conducive to filling and using efficiently the small storage spaces.

Maggie
Old 11-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by GETRIDAONE View Post
30 x 18 x 8 would fit.

Space under center without binding is 31 W x 20 D x 11 H This will clear bed slideout bracket, motor wiring and mechanism. The two doors under the rear seat will only allow items about 5" deep with a container in place. The space on the right side looking from the rear is about 24 x 12 but the support for the head extension board won't allow a rigid container to turn the corner to fit. I have a duffle bag 24x12x12 that twists enough to squeeze in the space. The built-in storage in the floor will fill up fast with hoses, power cords, and other necessary camping junk.

Congrats on the new Airstream. It can be at times

Thanks - really appreciate!
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by txntravlr View Post
Thanks - really appreciate!
I would definitely NOT recommend any rigid store box under the rear sofa. You will almost certainly need that space for all sorts of other things you'll eventually decide you need.
Examples that we carry: 2 folding bikes, folding chairs in bags, gas lantern, telescopic ladder, tool bag, RV tire pump. Lots of stuff that probably wouldn't fit anywhere else!
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote