Old 10-10-2016, 03:18 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Thanks Maggie, you would know best as an Interstate owner. Would it help to add a horizontal shelf about 1/2 way up, if I understand the shape of that overhead cabinet right? The slope of the cabinet back/top would permit different kinds of storage below and above the new shelf. It could be fairly thin plywood sitting on two small cleats made from aluminum angle stock, all screwed into place, with perhaps one vertical support in the center +/-. Hard to conceptualize and put into words without seeing the space in person.

OT -- Blustery cold and windy here today -- time for pot roast in the Dutch Oven! [with Marmite . . . ]

Cheers,

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
IB's system is very clever, and seems to work quite well for them.

In my experience, hard sided boxes are not the answer for our limited Interstate cabinet space.

Just saying what I think, and believe to be true.

Maggie

Old 10-10-2016, 04:05 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
PS so as not to take this thread further off-topic, the DO thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f484...ml#post1862419

Old 10-10-2016, 06:14 AM   #17
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Len n Jeanne View Post
Ditto on packing cubes. We got some nylon (not canvas) cubes at REI especially designed for lightweight, long-haul travel. But Walmart also sells them in their luggage section. They are good for organizing and also help to compress clothes beyond loose packing in the bins. The good ones have some mesh sides for aeration and zippers that allow some compression.

You might colour-code these for multiple family members.

I've tried large-size plastic food storage bags. While they do have the advantages of being able to see through them, they tend to slide and slip around and not pack flat.

For a clothes closet, you can also get hangers capable of holding multiple shirts or pants.

But the main thing is to engage in modular dressing so that you can cut down on the number of clothes you need to take. The rule is that every item you pack goes with every other item. We've gone to dark underwear so that one large laundry load at an RV park is capable of washing everything at once. Then on a longer trip arrange for one laundry load to be done.

If you can't fit everything in the bins, try for a very discrete black gym bag or duffle bag that can sit on the foot of the bed while you travel.
Great ideas here, with which I agree.

My packing cubes are also nylon, and I have them in 3 different sizes.

It's about not having dead space, and anything with rigid and/or thick sides create dead space....we just can't afford dead space in our cabinets.

When all the laundry is done up on a long trip, and the packing bags are full, they do sometimes fall out of the overhead cabinet when the door is opened....but they fall out in an organzized fashion, everything still fully contained.

I also have some black canvas bags, that sit behind the driver's seat, and blend in discreetly.

It's a learning curve, learning how to pack and organize the interiors, so be patient with it and you will find what works for you.

Maggie
Old 10-10-2016, 08:56 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
League City , Texas
My system works like a charm for me, and I would not have it any other way. My husband initially did not want his overhead bin built out like that, but after our Canada trip, he was having second thoughts. I might try the PVC fence post idea for his side because as a larger person, his clothes pieces are bulkier. So, capturing more space with square rather than cylindrical tube would be the way to go.

Also, those suspended shelves I recently put in (suspended under the overhead bins) are proving to be a godsend. Hats, gloves, Smartwool sweater, scarves, etc. can be tucked into those, removing the need to dig within bins for smaller items. And they are very low profile so they don't look messy when filled with miscellaneous stuff. I have a blog post about those also. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1476107598.117387.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	273311
Old 10-10-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
One other thing to mention, is how to pack clothes inside your (lightweight nylon compressible) packing cubes. Roll your clothes tightly ahead of packing, instead of folding or trying to pack them flat. You can even secure the rolled clothes with large rubber bands. I've tried all different packing methods, and this one is best. Obviously none of your clothes should need ironing, and you don't have much space for an iron, anyway.

The Internet is a good source of info from long-haul air and train travelers who pack light: just think of your overhead bins like a suitcase.

I spent 10 days this past summer on a trip to Spain with only one carry-on and a shoulder bag. I did laundry part way through.

If you don't have any drying capacity in your Interstate, it's best to ensure that all your clothes can go through the drier.

We have more capacity than you do, but we had to economize on space in a 16' Bambi, for sure.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:35 AM   #20

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Ashburn , Virginia
We are new owners of 2016 AIGT ext as of Sept 1 2016.
I came up with a solution for drying our towels while driving down the road (or parked) and in the process solved a couple of things that I had not thought about. While we don't have kids or grandkids to worry about, space is space. I purchased 2 different auto expandable clothes hangers, one from target made by rubbermaid which contained hooks for hanging additional items and such, we found that the hooks were more in the way both when hanging and when lying in the back on the floor when not in use, although a great design, just did not work for us so we returned this one to Target. Then one from Bed,Bath&Beyond which is more beefier, solid metal hooks on both ends, with my 20% coupon it was $1.00 more than the one from Target and better quality. We hang it on the back built in clothes hangers during the day to dry towels with clothes hanging behind the hooks of the rod, clothes do not get wet nor damp and then at night we move it up to the cab area and put it on the hooks on both sides, move the clothes up to the cab so they are not hanging over our faces at night when sleeping. This has worked very well for us. Here is the link to BB&B:
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...FUEfhgodwB0IpQ

Here is the link to the Rubbermaid Cargo Hanger at Target: Made of nylon, but way better quality than other brands.
http://www.target.com/p/car-clothes-...d/-/A-15023629

I have also been looking at items at Target that attach to the head rest of the cab area and the bench seat in the back post of the seats, some have hooks for items while others have pockets:
http://www.target.com/p/-/A-50381249
http://www.target.com/p/rubbermaid-h...r/-/A-16601010
http://www.target.com/p/high-road-ca...k/-/A-10495947
http://www.target.com/p/-/A-10495876

I try to think outside of the box for different uses other than advertised.....

We keep our clean clothes hanging in covers from the dry cleaners.

For all my hair stuff, yup I have a lot of hair products and they have one dedicated bin all by itself, LOL!!! I use 2 containers that fit really nice in the driver side overhead bin that is the smaller one right over the bench seat, I pulled one from my craft room and the other I got at the dollar store and works great, I fill in the extra overhead bin space with squishy things that mash well and conform to the space. I have found that the containers need to be short in height due to curvature of the overhead bins. My bin is well protected if anything should spill over.

We are still working on organizing storage space for kitchen stuff and I think it will eventually find a permanent home since I have moved stuff around each time we have gone out.

Since we are new owners, I am sure storage will be an ongoing process of trial, error and success..........

Hope this helps (HTH)
2Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:41 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
portola valley , California
We have used these fun serape bags from Junk Gypsies...
They come in lots of fun colors so everyone can have their personal bag color so easily identifiable. They stack like they are drawers and if they fall out no damamge and no mess. Can be taken inside to pack before trip and then stacked in whatever locations you have. Lots of fun
http://gypsyville.com/wander-inn-ser...ender-bag.html

They have lots of fun things on theiir site for trailer living!!
Dianne
Old 10-10-2016, 01:04 PM   #22

1966 17' Caravel
Tallahassee , Florida
Those reusable cloth grocery totes work great. Cost about a buck if you can't find them for free. If you need a few that are a smaller size find some made for wine bottles.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:15 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
Atascadero , Texas and California
Clothing Organization in Overhead Bins

Anytime we are traveling in our AI and have several events to deal with or a wide range of weather expected we take our hitch mounted "Stow Away 2."
We can also fit in our lounge chairs, small folding table, extra 30 amp cord, levelers,etc. Makes access so easy!
The best use for the StowAway is packing those extra clothes that you need as events or weather changes.
The StowAway is water resistance but not 100% water proof so we pack our clothes in Eagle Creek "No Matter What" duffel bags. They are water proof and pack nicely in the StowAway.
Like others we pack our overhead bins with individual Storage bags. We also use Eagle Creek brand bags.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
I added an open wire shelf in each overhead. Used a 1x2 and screwed it into the side walls of the cabinet. Used u clamps to hold the wire rack in place. Get the wire racks with the short lip and have it at the front to help hold things in place, somewhat. These wire racks are the ones used in closets in a house. You might figure length and have them cut at the store. Measure the depth. I got the 12 inch ones and this determined where I mounted them.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:58 PM   #25
Mel

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Most grocery stores have fruits and some veggies in heavy cardboard boxy trays.
I found four of them that fit inside the upper bins of the FC, and use them for:
One for underdrawers, one for T-shirts or similar, my socks go to the left in the open space not covered by the 'trays'. A swim suit goes there too.
My Hi-Lo had room for four larger ones, labeled for 'whatever', me on one side, wifey on the other.
The AS has smaller bins, so I went smaller trays. It works.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:24 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
We started using Eagle Creek packing cubes in duffels for international travel years ago and just continued using them in the Airstream. Full cubes stand on edge (like books) in the bedroom overhead compartments with about zero wasted space. We use a different one for each type of garment; underwear, socks, shirts, pants, etc. Ours are various colors but adding Harbor Freight key tags to the zipper pull provides a clear label.

As others have mentioned other manufacturers sell these now so the ridiculous Eagle Creek prices can be avoided.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:56 AM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Oklahoma City , Oklahoma
We all have packing cubes. Each has a set in their own color. They work well for the luggage but are odd shaped for the overhead bins. I will go back and retry again.

I think our biggest hurdle is just now realizing that we have traveled so much by suitcase that this is just a different animal. Our kids are awesome at packing and living out of a suitcase for 10 days. So, this shouldn't be a stretch. It isn't our first time out of the house.

I showed my husband the tubes idea. We don't have time to try it before our first mini trip.

We have looked into a hitch storage bin. My husband found one that swings away so the back doors can still be accessed without removing everything. After much discussion, we are also throwing around the idea of selling the Interstate and getting a slightly larger Sprinter RV. We love our AI and all the fun, travels, memories, and family time we have shared in it. I just must tame the clothing disaster!

Thank you for all the suggestions, ideas, and experience shared. Our OCD travels thank you! I'll try to report back if it worked. You guys are such an amazing source of help!
Old 10-11-2016, 04:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
With growing "kids" [plural] a larger RV may be the answer IMO. Get the one you will need in 5-10 years, also IMO! It might be "silly" to aim too low . . .

Have fun on your trips.

Peter