Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Clorox in the gray water drains?

We had a temporary block in our shower floor drain, after a month or so of non-use. I freed the block by using my hand as a "plunger". I'm guessing this was due to an algal buildup in the line. Of course we use the usual Aqua-Kem for the gray water tank, but the part of the line between the shower (and sink etc) and the tank is flushed with fresh water after each use, so there is no standing chemical.

So I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to put a bit of Clorox in the sink and shower when returning the van to storage. We do this at home to keep our drains running free.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:02 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up !

Quality....(not Wallyworld off brand) RV antifreeze in all drains 'cept the toilet, it gets 1/4cup veggie oil to keep the seal workable. A little bleach during the Season wouldn't hurt.....

Bleach the FW system at Spring get ready or as needed during the Season.

Bob
Old 11-19-2017, 07:18 AM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The shower drain in the AI is a waterless trap, with two rubber flaps, shaped something like a duck's bill that block backward flow. The line to the gray tank runs horizontal under the shower floor. With non-use, the flaps tend to stick together. Mine was stuck when I bought the rig after setting on a dealer's lot for a few months. I opened mine by using the plug as a plunger and it has stayed free since with fairly frequent use.

I poured a little RV drain valve lubricant in my shower drain to coat the flaps. I don't know whether that made a difference, but it surely can not hurt.

I would not use clorox with this sort of trap.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:13 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wouldn’t let Clorox it in anything, as it is corrosive.

Several times a season I will flush a bit of diluted Clorox down my kitchen sink and into the toilet and shower drain.

A good time to do this is when you are getting ready to dump....when I always clean, anyway.

I also dump after cleaning the water with pinesol in it down the kitchen sink...keeps everything smelling nice.

Maggie
Old 11-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I recently snaked my shower drain becaus it was very slow draining. An amazing amount of hair and other unidentifiable mass came out. I poured about a cup of Pinesoil in the drain and let it sit overnight. Snaked it once again and cleared out more gunk. Next added a mixture of dish soap, Calgon and bleach. The drain now drains quickly out. I try to keep water in the p-traps to block any odor coming from the gray tank.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 09:09 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I recently snaked my shower drain becaus it was very slow draining. An amazing amount of hair and other unidentifiable mass came out. I poured about a cup of Pinesoil in the drain and let it sit overnight. Snaked it once again and cleared out more gunk. Next added a mixture of dish soap, Calgon and bleach. The drain now drains quickly out. I try to keep water in the p-traps to block any odor coming from the gray tank.
Using a snake on Hepvo check valves in a late-model Interstate is a really bad idea. The snake can damage the valve when you pull the snake back out. As Pahaska has noted, late-model Interstates have no P-traps at all.

A screen for the shower drain will solve many drainage problems by catching most things that could cause a clog.

And Robert Cross's idea of putting a bit of vegetable oil down the drain to keep the Hepvo valve flaps lubricated is also good.
Old 11-19-2017, 04:36 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32.5' Airstream 325
WhereIam , Left Coast Proud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Using a snake on Hepvo check valves in a late-model Interstate is a really bad idea. The snake can damage the valve when you pull the snake back out. As Pahaska has noted, late-model Interstates have no P-traps at all.

A screen for the shower drain will solve many drainage problems by catching most things that could cause a clog.

And Robert Cross's idea of putting a bit of vegetable oil down the drain to keep the Hepvo valve flaps lubricated is also good.
I will add this to the list of reasons why I never allow my hair to go down any drains. Losing your hair sucks. *sigh*
3wd67rg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Like it or not, pretty much everything you use to unclog a drain chemically is nasty stuff. None of it should be left sitting any longer than it takes to remove the clog. There are things specifically made to do the job. Generally the stuff that works the best is the most nasty. Simple answer if you do use them: rinse the system out with fresh water as soon as you are done with the clog. Don't be bashful with the flush process. If you want to follow the flush out up, run a bottle of vinegar down the system. Flush that out immediately as well.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Houston , Texas
Thanks

Once again, thanks for all the response. It answers my question.
TayaraTravel is offline   Reply With Quote