Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Birmingham , Alabama
Client Pre-Payment/Signiture/Delivery Detailed Checklist

Short Story, the first time I bought a trailer, I made every mistake you see highlight on YouTube. I consider it to have been a learning experience which really means, I am embarrassed about it to this day.

I guess we all learn from our mistakes and thinking you know something is different thank having to handle it, in real life. That is why the advice I appreciate the most, comes from this and other blogs like it.

I have recently been asked by lost of folks on this AirForums.com for my "Client Pre-Payment/Signature/Delivery" Checklist. I am ashamed to say that I never knew how to simply add it to an attachment online here, until now.

Please use this excel document as you wish. It was originally design specifically for an Airstream Interstate Grand Tour with a TB package. There are two-tabs on the bottom of the Excel, that allow you to see the several page client pre-payment checklist and the second-tab allows access to another checklist that my wife and I use for supplies. If you see anything that is missing, please let me know and I will add it.

My objective/goal was to never provide payment to a dealer on a coach until I first privately check every aspect of the coach, provide the dealer with their first Punch-List, and if anything was MAJOR wrong, I would wait until it was done, before I pay for the coach in full. I am very proud of these lists and will answer any questions you might have. Thank you all.

Please enjoy.

Gary and Tami T.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Airstream_Interstate_Punch_List_12072017.xlsx (176.6 KB, 306 views)

Proud new owner of a 2018 Airstream Interstate Grand Tour Tommy Bahama
Previously owned a 2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 25 ft.
sthrngary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Thanks, this will be quite helpful.
sheakev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Small Town TX & CO , Colorado
Wish I had that when we took delivery last year. While we’ve been lucky (knock on wood!) we certainly didn’t think about much of what you address!
txntravlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 07:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Interesting list - did you keep score on how many of them were done as you had requested?

One of the most common problems is that the house batteries were significantly damaged by poor charging habits while sitting in the dealers lot. I know of no good way to check this during a 4-6 hour delivery inspection. You would need them pull the batteries and send them somewhere to be tested under controlled conditions.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I have to ask. Did the dealership comply with your request and demands?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:36 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
House Batteries

I wrote several blogs on properlybuying a RV/Coach. On new coaches, I only recommend ordering. My coach was at the dealership for 8 days. More to that artical but that eliminated the battery issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
Interesting list - did you keep score on how many of them were done as you had requested?

One of the most common problems is that the house batteries were significantly damaged by poor charging habits while sitting in the dealers lot. I know of no good way to check this during a 4-6 hour delivery inspection. You would need them pull the batteries and send them somewhere to be tested under controlled conditions.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
I made no demands. I just stated in writing my requirements to do business with me. Just like the dealer had a requirement for upfront money. Sorry for being so specific on this point. On did the dealership comply with my requirement, YES, every single one.

A good reason for that was the clarity of my items and the clear understanding no money would be paid until I was completely satisfied. Funny how that works.

I was trieated like a King. My check given was a kings ransom. Win/win for all parties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I have to ask. Did the dealership comply with your request and demands?

Old 12-18-2017, 11:03 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Quote:
Interesting list - did you keep score on how many of them were done as you had requested? .
Sorry, I did not answer the above question with my first reply. They missed or miss understood three item. All three where taken care of promptly.

A forth issue was the dealership has the wrong information on the SiriusXM. They said the AI did not come with a 90 free Sat radio promo. This was wrong, they all do. The brochure is deep in your paper work.

A fifth issue was the Fusion updates. They could not or did not how to do them. I did them on the lot prior to payment.

I wonder what would not have happen if I had not had my check list or if I rushed out of there because I thought these thing were done by the dealership.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Old 12-19-2017, 05:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
“YES, every single one.”
Outstanding. Sounds like you have a very good customer service oriented dealer. In any industry that is getting hard to find.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 06:16 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I see that you have a 'burning oil is an issue' note in your checklist. I can't tell that I have burnt a drop of oil in my 45,000 miles, going between 7,000 and 9,000 miles between oil changes. I searched high and low for MB approved oil to take on our maiden voyage drive to IA after purchase in Ca and that quart bottle has yet to be opened. Is that note relative to the MB 3.0 liter V-6 turbo-diesel, or some other engine? Oil control (or lack thereof) on one engine size/design has little bearing on another engine size/design.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 07:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
6 cy mb Diesel engine, (mine is a2018) the item you read was a question to the dealer and Airstream not part of the check list. Two freinds of mine has 2016 Interstates, both had oil consumption issues initially. Same issue two diff end states. Both issues resolved them selves after 9000 miles. No dealers, Airstream or MB would acknowledge the issue. Funny, now the MB oil requirement is list very clearly in the engine. Hope that answers your post.

Quote:

Quote:
I see that you have a 'burning oil is an issue' note in your checklist. I can't tell that I have burnt a drop of oil in my 45,000 miles, going between 7,000 and 9,000 miles between oil changes. I searched high and low for MB approved oil to take on our maiden voyage drive to IA after purchase in Ca and that quart bottle has yet to be opened. Is that note relative to the MB 3.0 liter V-6 turbo-diesel, or some other engine? Oil control (or lack thereof) on one engine size/design has little bearing on another engine size/design.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:21 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
No, if I did not clearly outline my requirements, I am quite positive the would not have been caught or done. The RV industry has a serious issue. The dealer networks are for the most part terrible. Knowing that any wanting a much better experience, I was beyond proactive. With bad reviews online from customers of dealers, I notice many of the same complaints. I just put them on paper, made handling the part or the transaction from the onset. My goal is to eliminate bad client/Dealer RV experiences from the initial sales/delivery transaction. Hope that give you a much more transparent look at what I am trying to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
“YES, every single one.”
Outstanding. Sounds like you have a very good customer service oriented dealer. In any industry that is getting hard to find.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #13
Prof. of Pending Projects

Orlando , Florida
Only one modification to your list... and this is something I learned a few years back... presented to me as the learning from many generations before me...

You list one bottle of wine. I was instructed by the elders that you must have at a minimum two, not one.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:44 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Birmingham , Alabama
Lol

I am revising it right now. Great advice. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
Only one modification to your list... and this is something I learned a few years back... presented to me as the learning from many generations before me...

You list one bottle of wine. I was instructed by the elders that you must have at a minimum two, not one.