Old 01-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Class B down sizing?

Hi, we have been very happy towing our 2005 Airstream Safari 25-B travel trailer for about 13 years. After moving to Oregon we now have to winterize our trailer and park it in a very tight space next to our house. And we got older. To take our trailer out has always been a major project and this is one reason for mostly long distance and long time trips.

Now we are thinking about a Class B van to travel with. We feel that in a moments notice we can jump in the B van and hit the road for, as short as, an all/one day adventure or maybe another cross country trip. I have looked at some Class B's and they are quite small compared to our 25' trailer, but we feel that we can adapt.

We don't like any of the Sprinters and I'm not a fan of Diesels either. And so far this looks like it will take us out of the Airstream family. So far I like the Winnebago Paseo 48P. As with all of the vans, We don't care for the bed/ dining arrangements. I might make some personal changes. Second is the Coachmen Crossfit 220F. Both of these have things that I like and things that I don't like.

We don't want a B+ or a C. We want a B van so it will fit in our RV pad and not be so obvious that it is a motorhome. [also for our HOA]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Pictures

Hi, a few pictures of what I'm talking about. All opinions welcomed. I will only go for a Ford with a gas engine in these possible choices.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Paseo floor plan.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	7.6 KB
ID:	302274   Click image for larger version

Name:	Coachmen_Crossfit.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	302275  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coachmen_Crossfit_22D.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	302276  
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:01 AM   #3
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
I have not seen the Paseo in person. But looks like a great alternative from the photos and videos available.

So you are not considering Dodge built Class B? Only those on the Ford platform?
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
It's a Sprinter Class B (so it doesn't fit your no diesel criteria), but we have been looking at the Coach House Arriva. Very different floor plan from any other B van and it has a dry bathroom (separate shower).
Old 01-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Coach House units are molded fiberglass just like a boat. Very sturdy and virtually leak free. When my old body canít manage the physical part of hitching I will consider a Coach House Platinum.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetguy View Post
Coach House units are molded fiberglass just like a boat. Very sturdy and virtually leak free. When my old body canít manage the physical part of hitching I will consider a Coach House Platinum.
The Coach House Arriva is a Class B built inside of a Sprinter van body. The Platinum is a larger Class C with the molded one piece shell fiberglass body. I owned a Platinum before my Airstream trailer.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Caledonia , Michigan
Winnebago and Pleasure Way both make Dodge Promaster (Fiat Ducato) based gas FWD Class Bs. The Pleasure Way Promaster Lexor TS is a nice model.

The Phoenix Cruiser 2100 is a little wider as it's built on a cutaway chassis, but still worth considering.

At some point we may also get a small motorhome for the same reasons you list, but I'd like to keep the AS too.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #8

1971 31' Sovereign
GREENVILLE , South Carolina
have you looked at a road trek?
Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Port Angeles , Washington
The Paseo 48P appears to be very much like the midbath-rear sleeper AI I have (2006).
I really like the ability to open the back doors (the sprinter will open all the way to against the body, so totally out of the way, I have no idea if the Transit does that)- back up to a great view and it is like being outside but a comfy place.

I use mine for day trips all the time. Super easy to get going and drives like a regular van. I like the 5cylinder diesel personally, but understand why you would look harder at the Ford.
I’ve heard good reports from the Transist, Fit and finish of the Winnebago parts may Not be up the Airstream (I have not looked one, just what I read, but suggest looking yourself).

It looks like a great setup to me. (I did not look at things like type of generator, hot water, grey/black water tanks etc)

Mark

Edit:
I just looked at the brochure. If I was in the market for a new ‘B’ that has the layout/features I would like the most of any I’ve seen so far.
The bench seats don’t look as comfy as the ones in my T1N AI, but no way to tell without actually trying.

I wonder what sort of mileage they get? (I didn’t see the price either)
Old 01-12-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Have you looked at the Airstream Atlas? It's pretty slick! (And pretty pricey.)
AirForums #21900 . Prez & Membership Chair, 4CU/WBCCI
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 04:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
This full timing younger couple downsized from a Class A towing a jeep to a Hymer B van on the Ram gas chassis. They have the lithium option. Several of their videos explain why they downsized. I wouldn't go diesel, too expensive to purchase and maintain and they are only good to B5 diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzz...PMMuhtDVA75rfw
Old 01-12-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Camas , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
The Paseo 48P appears to be very much like the midbath-rear sleeper AI I have (2006).
I really like the ability to open the back doors (the sprinter will open all the way to against the body, so totally out of the way, I have no idea if the Transit does that)- back up to a great view and it is like being outside but a comfy place.

I use mine for day trips all the time. Super easy to get going and drives like a regular van. I like the 5cylinder diesel personally, but understand why you would look harder at the Ford.
Iíve heard good reports from the Transist, Fit and finish of the Winnebago parts may Not be up the Airstream (I have not looked one, just what I read, but suggest looking yourself).

It looks like a great setup to me. (I did not look at things like type of generator, hot water, grey/black water tanks etc)

Mark

Edit:
I just looked at the brochure. If I was in the market for a new ĎBí that has the layout/features I would like the most of any Iíve seen so far.
The bench seats donít look as comfy as the ones in my T1N AI, but no way to tell without actually trying.

I wonder what sort of mileage they get? (I didnít see the price either)

Russo himself said itís about 15mpg on one video
Old 01-12-2018, 05:26 PM   #13
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Class B travel has lots of advantages over towing a trailer. There are some negatives too but as with many things in life... it's all about compromise.

We currently have both a trailer and a Class B. We looked for over a year to find a Class B with built-in twin beds. We had no interest in making/storing/reconfiguring beds every day. Give the sleeping area significant thought - some people don't mind making up the bed into a couch, for us that was a non-starter.

I appreciate what you mean about diesels. I too was apprehensive. When we realized we could find a used Interstate with the NCV3 chassis (latest body style) and the diesel didn't use DEF we finally came to terms with owning a diesel.
2005 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 8.1L
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
As a former Interstate owner, and current owner of a 23FB, I agree that it will be much easier to just get up and go in a B van. And if you're more of a "road tripper" than a "stay in each place for a week" kind of person, I think you'll also love the B van. We switched to the trailer, because we wanted to be able to stay in one place for longer, and be more comfortable doing so.

Since buying our trailer, we do a lot more exploring in our truck, and don't hesitate to go places at night. With the Interstate, we would rarely leave our campsite at night, as we didn't want to have to unhook and hook up again (utilities and sewer) in the dark.

The one comment I have about the layout you posted, is that, personally, I hate the vans with the bathroom right across from the side entry door. Too high of a chance of getting caught with your pants down, so to speak, or, without any pants on at all!!!

Also, just food for thought as well....we had the Interstate with the 4 captains chairs, and it was just way too crowded inside. So, we had removed the 2nd row captains chairs. That opened up a large open space where we could store stuff, put the dog beds (we had 2 dogs at the time), and just use that open space to pass by each other. For us, it made the difference in being claustrophobic, and feeling like we had some room to breathe. My suggestion is to think about the possibilities that each layout will afford you, as far as being able to modify the space.

We loved our Interstate. The diesel got great gas mileage, and never had any problems, until it came time to smog it, and that became a big freakin' problem.

We had the extended lounge model, which was great for the extra space inside, the huge bed in back, and extra storage under the bed. It was NOT great for ground clearance. I would never buy one again for that reason alone.

weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote