Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2018, 11:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
The Paseo 48P appears to be very much like the midbath-rear sleeper AI I have (2006).
I really like the ability to open the back doors (the sprinter will open all the way to against the body, so totally out of the way, I have no idea if the Transit does that)- back up to a great view and it is like being outside but a comfy place.

I use mine for day trips all the time. Super easy to get going and drives like a regular van. I like the 5cylinder diesel personally, but understand why you would look harder at the Ford.
I’ve heard good reports from the Transist, Fit and finish of the Winnebago parts may Not be up the Airstream (I have not looked one, just what I read, but suggest looking yourself).

It looks like a great setup to me. (I did not look at things like type of generator, hot water, grey/black water tanks etc)

Mark

Edit:
I just looked at the brochure. If I was in the market for a new ‘B’ that has the layout/features I would like the most of any I’ve seen so far.
The bench seats don’t look as comfy as the ones in my T1N AI, but no way to tell without actually trying.

I wonder what sort of mileage they get? (I didn’t see the price either)
Hi, The Transit rear doors can open all of the way to the sides of the body and they have a full pull down screen in back. They come with a built-in generator, solar panel/s and a water heater/ room heater combo. Not sure how that works, but sounds good to me. Tanks ar OK for the size of the vehicle.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:48 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
Have you looked at the Airstream Atlas? It's pretty slick! (And pretty pricey.)

Hi, No I haven't very much. Too expensive and it's a B+. We are trying to stay away from the B+'s.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-13-2018, 12:25 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
This full timing younger couple downsized from a Class A towing a jeep to a Hymer B van on the Ram gas chassis. They have the lithium option. Several of their videos explain why they downsized. I wouldn't go diesel, too expensive to purchase and maintain and they are only good to B5 diesel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzz...PMMuhtDVA75rfw
Hi, Thank You for posting the videos.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-13-2018, 12:27 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air99 View Post
Russo himself said it’s about 15mpg on one video

Hi, this is what I read also. It would be about 3 or 4 more MPG than I get pulling my trailer.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Class B travel has lots of advantages over towing a trailer. There are some negatives too but as with many things in life... it's all about compromise.

We currently have both a trailer and a Class B. We looked for over a year to find a Class B with built-in twin beds. We had no interest in making/storing/reconfiguring beds every day. Give the sleeping area significant thought - some people don't mind making up the bed into a couch, for us that was a non-starter.

I appreciate what you mean about diesels. I too was apprehensive. When we realized we could find a used Interstate with the NCV3 chassis (latest body style) and the diesel didn't use DEF we finally came to terms with owning a diesel.

Hi, yes the bed arrangement will be a concern. I will look some more about this when I actually see these vans up close. I might have to modify or make something myself.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-13-2018, 12:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post
As a former Interstate owner, and current owner of a 23FB, I agree that it will be much easier to just get up and go in a B van. And if you're more of a "road tripper" than a "stay in each place for a week" kind of person, I think you'll also love the B van. We switched to the trailer, because we wanted to be able to stay in one place for longer, and be more comfortable doing so.

Since buying our trailer, we do a lot more exploring in our truck, and don't hesitate to go places at night. With the Interstate, we would rarely leave our campsite at night, as we didn't want to have to unhook and hook up again (utilities and sewer) in the dark.

The one comment I have about the layout you posted, is that, personally, I hate the vans with the bathroom right across from the side entry door. Too high of a chance of getting caught with your pants down, so to speak, or, without any pants on at all!!!

Also, just food for thought as well....we had the Interstate with the 4 captains chairs, and it was just way too crowded inside. So, we had removed the 2nd row captains chairs. That opened up a large open space where we could store stuff, put the dog beds (we had 2 dogs at the time), and just use that open space to pass by each other. For us, it made the difference in being claustrophobic, and feeling like we had some room to breathe. My suggestion is to think about the possibilities that each layout will afford you, as far as being able to modify the space.

We loved our Interstate. The diesel got great gas mileage, and never had any problems, until it came time to smog it, and that became a big freakin' problem.

We had the extended lounge model, which was great for the extra space inside, the huge bed in back, and extra storage under the bed. It was NOT great for ground clearance. I would never buy one again for that reason alone.

Hi, we are not campers; We are travelers and do one night stays until we hit a destination. And stay for about one week at the most, and then move on.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-13-2018, 12:37 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus54 View Post
Wow- I generally get about 10 more MPG. (Average about 25, 24-26)

But I dont’ want to spend as much as they are anyway (I saw something like $127 list)
Hi, I've seen list prices for around $124,000.00 to $135,000.00 and read where they can be bought anywhere from $95,000.00 to about $79,000.00. Wife wants to find a used one or maybe a re-po????? I think this would be hard to find.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-13-2018, 06:15 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
East Hampton , Connecticut
We just bought our Interstate in August. I think the biggest shortcoming is the ability to boon dock for for a period of time. I'm comfortable with a night off the grid - but if we are parked in a location for multiple days without driving - I'm just not a fan of the noisy generator. Having said this - I love the floor plan of the Interstate! Having looked at all other models - and the trade-offs in each of them - I would still settle for the Interstate. We find it amazingly well designed and comfortable to live in. And I love driving it. Headed out by myself solo after the purchase - and it was as easy as driving my Ford Explorer! If you really are planning to be off the grid for an extended time - you should look at the Roadtrek.
Jererae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jererae View Post
... I think the biggest shortcoming is the ability to boon dock for for a period of time. ... If you really are planning to be off the grid for an extended time - you should look at the Roadtrek.
Or, modify the Interstate to make it off-grid-capable, either through third-party contracting or DIY.

But if one wants an off-the-lot option, yes, other builders need to be considered.

Amsterdamer mentioned Pleasure Way above. I was impressed by the Plateau FL and voted it "most improved" in my 2017 Houston RV Show review blog post. Fit and finish were excellent, but it was built on a diesel Sprinter.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:06 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 31' Classic
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
The Coach House Arriva is a Class B built inside of a Sprinter van body. The Platinum is a larger Class C with the molded one piece shell fiberglass body. I owned a Platinum before my Airstream trailer.

Did you enjoy your Coach House? I am interested to hear how your experience with the trailer differs from the motor home. I am towing a 28 foot International and thinking life would be better with a driver. Is that a pipe dream?
trumpetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1990 34' Limited
2013 27' FB International
Conroe , Texas
Question:
1. Won’t you still have to winterize the class B?
2. Would you need to tow a vehicle to run around in?
3. Have you looked into storing the Airstream inside a insulated building?
Tbeck11931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 04:08 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
Interblog

Just read your Blog review and I was amazed at your comments about the Tommy Bahama model especially the judgemental tone about the Alcohol encouraging design elements. By the way the cabinet above the Galley is obviously for the glasses provided not bottles as you state in your review. Of course, taste is subjective, I understand that so the TB model features will not appeal to everyone. I like the elimination of the window over the Galley area as we never used it in our last two Interstates and have found the additional Galley storage useful. We weren’t looking for the TB model when we were shopping for a 2017, but the dealer had one and we liked the lighter cabinets and the ultra leather seat colors. The one thing we don’t like is the textured flooring which is harder to keep clean than the smooth finish on our 2014 Hope you don’t mind my review of your review. I did enjoy reading about the other class B units at the show.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I'll perhaps soften my stance on alcohol when drunk drivers stop killing 28 additional people, many of whom are innocent children, every single day of the year in America. Personally I think we tolerate far too much of it, as a society. Lots of noise is made about other violent causes of death, some of which are prohibited topics of discussion on the forums, but not that particular cause. Selective outrage at its finest.

Moreso than the topic of alcohol use and abuse, though, I was startled by the focus of the TB build. Maybe Airstream was aiming for a younger demographic, but as I probably noted somewhere in that blog post, my perception is that Interstate buyers tend to be well-educated, self-made, and very forward-moving, and less on the self-indulgent side. You won't see much Margaritaville mentality in these forum pages. That says a lot about who the buyers are, and the TB just felt incongruent to me. I can see where someone might find the balance of the decor to be pleasing, but if I were the buyer, the first thing I'd do is rip out that booze rack and replace it with something more useful.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:55 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jacksonville , Jacksonville, Fla, Sautee, Ga, Boca Grande, Fl, Breckenridge, Co
IB
Wow I think you are making my point about Judgemental bias in your review. Your insight about Airstream buyer demographics seems spot on in terms of my experience as an older MBA educated self made Retired CEO who has owned both a Prevost and an AI simultaneously since 2009. But, I don’t see what all that has to do with your statements about “self indulgence”and “ Margaritaville Mentality”, and my upscale market choices do not correlate with your assumptions. Perhaps Airstream is correct to expand their product line by offering a distinctive niche product like the TB, as they seem to be selling successfully. Just my humble opinion.
busb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:22 PM   #35
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
The TB is selling well, so I see no reason for knocking Airstream for the design.

While I was not impressed with the "party" aspect of the TB, there are aspects of the design that I like such as the patterning on the paneling and the laminate coloring.

I liked the fact that the window area over the galley was re-purposed since we never opened that blind in a year of ownership. I had no use for the TB booze rack, but I closed off that window and salvaged that space with my own design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171221_140033.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	302371  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 09:43 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Am not sure I could adapt to the sliding door on the BVan. We rented one in 2011, a nice Ford Van to tour the Outback of Australia for two weeks and liked it a lot except for the sliding door. It was manually operated, had a long travel length to open or close, and had to be slammed to close it. I guess I was too conscious of disturbing other campers, but slamming it to get it closed was noisy. You don't realize how much you go in and out until you get exposed to one of these. Possibly ones you have in consideration are electrically operated and quieter? My folks had a nice 1993 Roadtrek that had a barn door type arrangement. You only had to use the right hand side to go in and out. I like it a lot better than the slider.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:38 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbeck11931 View Post
Question:
1. Won’t you still have to winterize the class B?
2. Would you need to tow a vehicle to run around in?
3. Have you looked into storing the Airstream inside a insulated building?

Hi, great questions.

(1.) Yes, but possibly a lot less because we could use it more. The first 9 years were in Southern California and it [my trailer] never was winterized. Now I Oregon, for 4 years, I do have to winterize.

(2.) A Class B van should be able to go anywhere, almost, that my Crew Cab F-150 will go. So I would use the van to run around in and not have a toad.

(3.) No, my vehicles all stay out side and I refuse to pay for storage. I like my vehicles at my house.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-14-2018, 10:38 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
My opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Or, modify the Interstate to make it off-grid-capable, either through third-party contracting or DIY.

But if one wants an off-the-lot option, yes, other builders need to be considered.

Amsterdamer mentioned Pleasure Way above. I was impressed by the Plateau FL and voted it "most improved" in my 2017 Houston RV Show review blog post. Fit and finish were excellent, but it was built on a diesel Sprinter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
I'll perhaps soften my stance on alcohol when drunk drivers stop killing 28 additional people, many of whom are innocent children, every single day of the year in America. Personally I think we tolerate far too much of it, as a society. Lots of noise is made about other violent causes of death, some of which are prohibited topics of discussion on the forums, but not that particular cause. Selective outrage at its finest.

Moreso than the topic of alcohol use and abuse, though, I was startled by the focus of the TB build. Maybe Airstream was aiming for a younger demographic, but as I probably noted somewhere in that blog post, my perception is that Interstate buyers tend to be well-educated, self-made, and very forward-moving, and less on the self-indulgent side. You won't see much Margaritaville mentality in these forum pages. That says a lot about who the buyers are, and the TB just felt incongruent to me. I can see where someone might find the balance of the decor to be pleasing, but if I were the buyer, the first thing I'd do is rip out that booze rack and replace it with something more useful.
Hi, Your blog is nice. I have to agree on some things and disagree on others. But first much of your blog spends time and words looking for a Travato??????? I think you could give more details on these vehicles like specs. Engines, Tank sizes, generators, and solar Etc. We are not drinkers and for us that space is wasted and could be better used for something else. I agree that they need to come up with a better way to use couches, dinettes, and beds. A half dinette for two and a Murphy bed might work better. I totally disagree with your thoughts on having two sinks. Brushing your teeth, using the toilet, and messing with tools Etc. should all be taken care of in the bathroom sink. Using the bathroom and washing your hands in the kitchen gives me chills. A bathroom by the back doors is out for me. I like the idea of sitting back there protected by a pull down screen. One of the class B's on the Ram, had about a foot and a half of nothing behind the driver's seat. They could, and should, have built a storage cabinet in that space or moved that whole side forward for better use of the space needed for the bedroom/ dinette/ sitting area.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 01-15-2018, 08:19 AM   #39
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
You did your initial assessment well.... that Winnebago Paseo 48P looks like the best fit for your needs.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:34 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Winnebago Paseo.

Hi, today my wife and I went to a local RV dealer to look at some Class B's. The first one that we asked to look at was the Winnebago Paseo. The first thing that the salesman did was to open the rear doors. Right off the bat, I saw a few things that I didn't like. [note: there will always be something that I won't like] Well the thin area between the rear doors and the pull down screen had this area covered with some matching wall trim. This trim was coming unglued and falling off of the body. Next was the storage space with a sewer hose in it; This would be fine until the first time that you use it. The sewer hose needs a home outside of the vehicle. And third, I'm not at all excited about their choice for the floor vinyl. [ugly pattern] Inside looked pretty good although, as expected, much tighter than our 25' Safari. Salesman said for wife to step inside of the shower. She tried to close the shower curtain and it was stuck and the curtain channel was loose and bent in two places. The fold down sink in the shower has no drain tube. Instead it has a channel where the water runs down the back and into a drain in the shower wall. Most everything else was pretty good like the drawers, cabinets, refrigerator, and water heater/heating system. I asked if the front seats were Ford factory seats that have been recovered or after market seats. Salesman didn't know. I understand that for some reason Winnebago decided to have the seat covers match the interior cushions. [tan/beige] But the entire driver's area is a nice gray so I think they should have left that area as is from Ford. This vehicle had some nice aftermarket aluminum wheels. Some have stainless wheel covers and some have chrome wheels. Again, I would rather that they used Ford factory wheels. Another plus that I forgot to mention was that this Winnebago comes with a nice large hydraulic bottle jack.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144