Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Chrome Face Plates Coming Off

Has anyone experienced the chrome face plate on the door handle or rear view exterior mirrors coming off? The chrome portion of the passenger side rear view mirror came off, and now the chrome portion of my driver's door is coming off? Is this a warranty item? If not, how can I fix it? I have a 2012 Airstream Interstate. Thanks for your thoughts.
roadmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
I don't think those chrome covers are a MB item. They may have been added by either Airstream or the dealer. Check with your dealer for warranty coverage.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Unhappy Chrome Plates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxster1971 View Post
I don't think those chrome covers are a MB item. They may have been added by either Airstream or the dealer. Check with your dealer for warranty coverage.
You are right. I had taken my AI to Mercedes for 20k checkup and they told me that AI puts it on.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmama View Post

You are right. I had taken my AI to Mercedes for 20k checkup and they told me that AI puts it on.
Should be covered under warranty then. It doesn't surprise me as most of the side plastic trim is coming loose on the leading and trailing ends on mine. Poor prep.

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Muskogee , Oklahoma
That's the second thing that failed on my 2011 Interstate. I had to remove, and then re-apply 3M trim tape to three of these panels. Apparently, Airstream installers either can't read the instructions, or don't care, and don't properly prep the surface at all. It was a very hard job to fix. It is however, covered under warranty.

Gerald

Quote:
Has anyone experienced the chrome face plate on the door handle or rear view exterior mirrors coming off? The chrome portion of the passenger side rear view mirror came off, and now the chrome portion of my driver's door is coming off? Is this a warranty item? If not, how can I fix it? I have a 2012 Airstream Interstate. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 11-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
My 2012 Interstate doesn't have any chrome on the door handles or exterior mirrors. All black ABS plastic. I wonder, is it something they changed in the middle of a model year?
Old 11-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #7

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
No chrome covers on my 2013 either. Maybe the reason they are missing from the later models is because AI decided they weren't worth the cost and effort to put them on to stay.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I don't think Airstream ever put the chrome covers on. At least they never showed them on the models in the brochure pictures. I just put them on mine.

My experience with 3M body tape says that if you don't properly prep the surface, then you can expect it to fail. My dealer, who is no longer a dealer, fixed my side trim by using some black stickum that held for about a week. Guess I'll have to do it myself next spring.

Old 11-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
Mine has no extra chrome. I'd guess these are all dealer installed items.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
I purchase stainless steel covers for the mirrors to dress up my AI and yes the do not stick very well as the form is not perfect. I have to redo mine in spring.
PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
When you redo the mirror covers, use some silicon remover such as DuPont's Prepsol and then use some alcohol to finally clean the mirror. Of course you will have to replace the 3m body tape on the covers.

Old 11-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #12
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up If you need it to stay put....

......and want to use DS Tape. It'll stay stuck with 3m VHB.

Bob
Old 11-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
That's the kind of tape that most of the aftermarket trim pieces I've used comes with.

Old 11-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Boonville , Missouri
Chrome Trim

Unfortunately, I am just beginning to face problems with "chrome" falling off. The driver's side belt line on my 2014 interstate had one piece fall off, and after repairing it, I find another that is getting ready to. The "chrome" moldings do not fit well on top of the plastic moldings. While probably under warranty, the drive to the dealer is much more inconvenient than fixing myself. The curbside moldings all seem to be well affixed. Probably one operator "on" his game and one "off" on the assembly line.
NewOldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 06:01 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldDad View Post
Unfortunately, I am just beginning to face problems with "chrome" falling off. The driver's side belt line on my 2014 interstate had one piece fall off, and after repairing it, I find another that is getting ready to. The "chrome" moldings do not fit well on top of the plastic moldings. While probably under warranty, the drive to the dealer is much more inconvenient than fixing myself. The curbside moldings all seem to be well affixed. Probably one operator "on" his game and one "off" on the assembly line.
Saying that anyone that puts these coaches together is on their game is being very charitable.

Old 11-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOldDad View Post
The curbside moldings all seem to be well affixed. Probably one operator "on" his game and one "off" on the assembly line.
More likely, the driver's side has to deal with slipstreams from vehicles coming from the opposite direction, that the curb-side doesn't.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Both sides are coming loose on mine.

Old 11-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2012 Interstate Coach
Palo Alto , California
Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. It sounds like we are all experiencing similar issues and quality concerns. You are a great group of fellow rvers and this forum is so helpful.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:18 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Gallatin Gateway , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
Both sides are coming loose on mine.
"Chrome" strips on both sides of vehicle peeling loose. Have had dealer repair TWICE. Today, while washing vehicle, noticed that short "chrome" strip beneath fuel filler cap is missing - probably lost last week on my Beartooth Highway day-trip! Nothing major, but I can't wait to have the dealer tell me that he has to order the strip from Airstream and it'll take months to get it! Kinda embarrassing to be driving a $170K rig with "chrome" strips falling off. This issue, plus recurring power shade issues, generator rattling issues, water heater leakage issues, etc kinda makes one wonder what ever happened with Airstream's quality control processes! My last Airstream for sure!
bob323 is offline   Reply With Quote