Old 09-16-2014, 05:04 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member
2010 22' Interstate
Vincennes , Indiana
Child safety restraints

I have decided to sell my 2010 Airstream Interstate 3500 and a potential buyer asked about child safety restraints for the unit. Can someone point me to the information I need to reply to the potential buyer? I have not had children for thirty five years and I am not up on current laws for child safety equipment. I just listed the unit and this is the first response so I should be prepared to answer this for new owners.

aa9zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:12 AM   #2
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Child safety restraints consist of a car seat of appropriate size for the child, mounted in place by the car seat's own mounting system, and secured by the seat belt system. No vehicle manufacturer supplies them, and the only provision for a child in the passenger seat should be an SRS override switch to turn off the airbag for that seat.
Any further information should be in the chassis owner's manual.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:45 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination
2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Unless they added the feature to the Grand Tour, I'm not aware of any Airstream Interstate that has provision for child safety seats. Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) 225 "Child Restraint Anchorage Systems" only applies to vehicles with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less. A Sprinter 3500, the base vehicle for an Airstream Interstate since about 2011, has a GVWR of 11,030 pounds and is therefore exempt.

You should be able to find child safety seat systems for use in aircraft that will attach to just a lap belt, without needing the standard anchorages found in passenger vehicles under 10,000 pounds GVWR. That's about the best you're going to get considering that Interstates don't have a child restraint anchorage system.
WBCCI #1105

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
They also might mean LATCH safety system which at least my 2009 did not have, (nor did it have shoulder belts in that row), but the 2nd row Sienna Seats I installed have both. I don't know about later models but it would seem if you have shoulder harnesses, it would offer a secure system to attached child safety seats.
2009 Airstream Interstate
ben322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Taylor Ridge , Illinois
Child safety restraints

The child seat system that my daughter and son-in-law had for our Grandson was designed to use with the 'Latch' system, or a shoulder harness seat belt. In order to use the shoulder harness seat belt they supplied a clip that fastens on the seatbelt that clamps it firmly in place. We used this feature to haul our grandson from Chicago to our home last fall and it was very secure. We secured the seat in the the second row seat behind the driver.

I know of no Interstates that have the Latch system, but our 2014 has shoulder harness seat belts.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Kwils25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
2011 Interstate Coach
CHINO HILLS , California
I started to take my daughter on road trips when she was less than one year old. I secured the child safety seat using the lap seat belt to the passenger seat behind driver's seat. The child safety seat also has a long latch in the back, so I extended it all the way to latch it on a metal bar under the AI passenger seat. The child safety seat is very secure with these attachments and I never have any issue with it. Thanks!

milkfish888 is offline   Reply With Quote