Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Lounge Ext
- , VT, AZ, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinRVr View Post
Nope. The chassis battery is pretty big at something like 95Ahr. With a 100mA draw, it would take 10hrs to pull 1A, so about 500hrs to hit the dreaded 50% mark. That’s about 3 weeks.

Was there any draw on the red wire while sleeping?
The Fusion would reboot when the red wire was reconnected through my meter, but I don't believe that I saw any draw once it settled down to sleep.

It was difficult to assess as the Fusion seemed to go into different modes, apparently depending upon the timing and sequence of when I interrupted and restored power to the red and yellow wires.

I've now disconnected both shore power and the yellow wire, and plan to watch the voltages over the next few days. The chassis battery is now at 12.55v.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

- , VT, AZ, CA
Given the difficulties of trying to measure current draw by the Fusion from its two power sources (chassis and coach) through what appear to be various operating modes, I resorted to simple experimentation - connecting and disconnecting the power leads and watching the decline of battery voltages over several days.

I remain convinced that on my 2017 Lounge EXT, late August 2016 build, the yellow wire into the Fusion is chassis power, and the red wire is coach power.

With the yellow wire disconnected, my chassis battery voltage remains essentially stable over days. Connected, the chassis battery voltage declines.

The coach battery voltage is always declining due to loads like the LP gas detector, despite my efforts to eliminate other parasitic drains like the LP switch. It's difficult to judge the rate of drain by simply looking at voltage over time, but it is my distinct impression that the coach battery drains much faster with the red wire connected - even when the yellow wire is disconnected.

Since a two pole switch is not available to replace the blanks in the dashboard near the ignition switch, I'm going to install separate single pole switches for both the red and the yellow wires.

Unfortunately all of my batteries have probably been damaged by the excessive, uncontrolled drain from the Fusion, for which Airstream provided no warning.
don000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 10:57 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Northern , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by don000 View Post
Unfortunately all of my batteries have probably been damaged by the excessive, uncontrolled drain from the Fusion, for which Airstream provided no warning.
Really appreciate you taking the time to look into this. The info. you've provided has been very enlightening.

Unfortunately, you are likely correct with respect to the battery's current health. The only way to know for sure is to pull them and have them tested on a load tester. That's a PITA of a job, but once you get your wiring sorted, it will likely be necessary. If they are toast, now would be the time to look into alternatives, at least for the house batteries. There are lots of threads on this (unlike the Fusion issues), so you should be able to get some good ideas on how to proceed if you need to.
FlyFishinRVr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 11:34 PM   #44
1 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Judson , Texas
DonOOO
DID you find where the fusion was getting its power?
StreamingAI is offline   Reply With Quote