Old 08-13-2013, 11:29 AM   #15

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post
Be sure you get a charger that will supply the higher current for the iPads.
If you are using shore power for the charger that is a significant consideration. I moderate an Apple support forum and even now one of the more common "problems" reported for the iPad is failure to charge. In almost every case it is because they are trying to charge their iPad with an iPhone charger or the USB port on their computer.

My solution to that has always been to use the iPad power adaptor which Apple approves for use with both the iPhone and iPad. On the other hand, I have yet to run across a 12V charger that doesn't charge the iPad, often more rapidly than the shore power versions. Thus my preference for 12V chargers in my Interstate.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post
If you are using shore power for the charger that is a significant consideration. I moderate an Apple support forum and even now one of the more common "problems" reported for the iPad is failure to charge. In almost every case it is because they are trying to charge their iPad with an iPhone charger or the USB port on their computer.

My solution to that has always been to use the iPad power adaptor which Apple approves for use with both the iPhone and iPad. On the other hand, I have yet to run across a 12V charger that doesn't charge the iPad, often more rapidly than the shore power versions. Thus my preference for 12V chargers in my Interstate.
There are definitely some 12v-to-USB chargers out there with output as low as 500 mA. They tend to be the cheapest, junkiest ones, but they exist. I use the Griffin two-port adapter referenced up-thread a bit, with good results. We have one in the truck and one in my partner's car, and the best of the ones we had before discovering the Griffin adapter is in my car, with the rest relegated to backup status or Goodwill donations. I use one of the backup ones in the trailer when boondocking, or leave a phone plugged into the Griffin in the truck for a while.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemikeb View Post

I'm curious about the bolded statement above. Apple says the iPad (4th gen) will charge on a 1A USB charger but will charge much faster on a 2.1A charger. 1A USB chargers are much more common than the 2.1A or more chargers.

Am I missing something? Can you enlighten me?
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #18

2013 Interstate Coach
Fort Worth , Texas
Because there have been reports of third party iPhone/iPad power malfunctioning and causing safety issues, beginning August 16, 2013 Apple will swap any third party iOS device power adaptor for an Apple adaptor and $10. All you need to do is bring your iOS device and third party adaptor to the Apple store and for $10 they will replace the third party device. This is on a one adaptor for one iOS device deal, but it is a good one. As small as the Apple power adaptor is, it is a very sophisticated switching power supply that will work on 120 to 240 volts 50 or 60 cycle power and offers several layers of protection for the iOS device.

As I understand it this offer includes, but is not limited to, third party iOS device power adaptors sold through the Apple Store, but It does not include 12V car adaptors.

— Navajo saying
joemikeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:15 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jquayle View Post

Also, the wall outlet behind the driver is always powered with the inverter on. The other outlets require the generator or shore power.
The two TV outlets are supplied by the inverter.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
My 20 foot Safari has three 12v outlets and what I have done is purchase a few of these chargers with dual 3Amp outputs. Not only will they charge the iPhones faster, but they can also charge high drain devices like iPads easily. I use these in conjunction with a plethora of different cables (USB, USB Mini, USB Micro, iPhone 30Pin and iPhone Lightning) to charge all sorts of stuff. What I like about using the 12v chargers is that I can use them with or without shore power and without having to use an inverter.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link to Amazon: iFlash Dual USB Car Lighter Charger Adapter with 3A Output
Old 08-14-2013, 09:37 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2010 22' Interstate
Anchorage , Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpons View Post
My 20 foot Safari has three 12v outlets and what I have done is purchase a few of these chargers with dual 3Amp outputs. Not only will they charge the iPhones faster, but they can also charge high drain devices like iPads easily. I use these in conjunction with a plethora of different cables (USB, USB Mini, USB Micro, iPhone 30Pin and iPhone Lightning) to charge all sorts of stuff. What I like about using the 12v chargers is that I can use them with or without shore power and without having to use an inverter.
FWIW, I believe the outputs are 3A TOTAL, one 1A and one 2.1A.
AIR #44779
TAC AK-1 !!
wayneskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Bangor , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneskid View Post
FWIW, I believe the outputs are 3A TOTAL, one 1A and one 2.1A.
Yes, you are correct, the specs are "Input: 12-18V DC, Output: DC 2.1A + 1A (Total 3.1A Output)" I did not mean to imply that it was two 3A outlets. What this means is that you do not want to plug in two high drain devices on one of these, for example two iPads, as they will charge slowly. However I have been fine plugging in an iPad and an iPhone into one of these.

There are other adapters out there with higher amps, but I have not tried them.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:56 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Napa , California
Handy tip is to mark the adapter so you know which side is the 2.1a.

I found myself mixing the up before I did that.

The stock labels on mine required you to pull out the adapter and even then it was difficult to see.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Fulton , Maryland
I use a white USB cord for the 2.1A side and a black cord for the 1A on my dual adapter for my iPhone and iPad. Makes it easy to keep things straight.

Boxster1971 is online now   Reply With Quote