Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2019, 08:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Madison , WISCONSIN
Question Changing out bulbs in dome/map to LEDs in my 2017 Interstate

I'm hopeful that someone can help me figure out how to replace the two sets of bulbs (one dome, one map) which are filament bulbs with L.E.D. bulbs.

I checked here, read my manuals, and looked for any YouTube videos and found nothing on how to remove the plastic lens covers so I can get at the bulbs.

I thought I had one lens off but I was afraid I was going to crack it if forced too hard.

Also if anyone who has done this, where did you find the best source for the LED replacements?

Thanks!
Old 03-16-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I was able to snap the lens cover off. I used these LED's from Amazon, and am real happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A fellow forum member pointed me to them. He subsequently found a different style that he liked better for some reason.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 09:33 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I was able to snap the lens cover off. I used these LED's from Amazon, and am real happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So this looks like a pack of six, so two on each side? and they fitted up there OK?

I was not able to pop off the lens, even after repeated tries. I carefully used a screwdriver blade but to no avail. I feel I am missing a step.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:23 PM   #4
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
A fellow forum member pointed me to them. He subsequently found a different style that he liked better for some reason.
that would be me

I replaced them with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Direct fitment.

Kevin, and remember that since these are diodes, those are directional (polarity matters), meaning that if you install them and they do not work, turn them around and they will work...

Removing the lens? Should be easy... start on the outside... let me give you the link to when I first did this...maybe you can see the tabs location.

You will see the lights Titus mentioned. Later I replaced them for ones with direct fitment (link provided above)... no reason, just had them left over from another car.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2105372

Hope that helps.
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Thanks Wachuko, wasn't trying to steal your credit, just couldn't remember who it was.

Sheakev,
Regarding fit, I found that a dab of hot glue between the LED and body of the fixture was needed to keep the LEDs situated over the 'opening' in the lens cover. I don't recall the exact procedure for removing the lens. I think I started by pushing in on the door-side of the lens to unsnap that side first, but am not sure. I was afraid that the low current draw of the LEDs may keep the door-open LED from dimming out after a few seconds or the map light LED turning off after a few minutes, but both of those features still work. The LED's I used had several different adaptors to fit different wiring harnesses, and one of those adaptors was the right one.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:02 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Originally Posted by wachuko View Post
that would be me

I replaced them with these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Direct fitment.

Kevin, and remember that since these are diodes, those are directional (polarity matters), meaning that if you install them and they do not work, turn them around and they will work...

Removing the lens? Should be easy... start on the outside... let me give you the link to when I first did this...maybe you can see the tabs location.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post2105372

Hope that helps.
It does help. The pictures were quite helpful, I did see the outside tabs when I tried to remove it yesterday but was concerned that I was missing some sort of locking mechanism. Also you confirmed that I need four of the same type of bulbs, I had thought one might be the festoon type.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
I don't recall the exact procedure for removing the lens. I think I started by pushing in on the door-side of the lens to unsnap that side first, but am not sure. I was afraid that the low current draw of the LEDs may keep the door-open LED from dimming out after a few seconds or the map light LED turning off after a few minutes, but both of those features still work. The LED's I used had several different adaptors to fit different wiring harnesses, and one of those adaptors was the right one.
Good to hear that the dimming feature still worked. I will give the lens removal a try later today and then order the LEDs.

Thanks to both of you!

We are about two months from our trip to Alaska and working on getting all my projects completed and tested.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
Thumbs up

Quote:
Thanks Wachuko, wasn't trying to steal your credit, just couldn't remember who it was....

Titus, nothing like that at all. I was just being silly. Cheers!!
WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
Tincamper had a post last year describing his trip to AK. I added our experiences to it. Our trip was 8500 miles, 42 days. Roads were a bit dusty/muddy/bumpy in places, but not too bad. Can provide more details if you are interested. Have fun!
Old 03-18-2019, 06:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
Quote:
Tincamper had a post last year describing his trip to AK. I added our experiences to it. Our trip was 8500 miles, 42 days. Roads were a bit dusty/muddy/bumpy in places, but not too bad. Can provide more details if you are interested. Have fun!
I read his blog as well as the posts here from Tincamper yourself and others. I started re-reading them this weekend.
I may very well take you up on your offer on more details as I read through it again and finalize our plans.

Thanks!

PS, got the lenses off last night and have ordered the LEDs; one more thing off my checklist.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:56 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Madison , WISCONSIN
The LEDs from Amazon arrived. Went right in and I love the clean white light over the dimmer yellow bulbs. A very worthwhile upgrade.

Thanks to all!
Old 04-03-2019, 11:19 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Thumbs up 2017 interstate driver compartment dome lamps

OK, well here is how I got it done
First, mine is a 2016 AS Interstate (Sprinter)

The bulb replacement was 'counter intuitive"... the plastic lamp domes do not remove...you remove the entire over head lamp assembly, and the bulbs are removed from the BACK SIDE.

The overhead assembly easily pulls from the overhead, where it is held in place with friction springs. The lamps are mounted in 'shoe sockets' that remove from the back with a half twist. Almost any F9 lamp will work.

I bought 12 LED's that were F9 compatibles on Amazon for about $10...it is a lifetime supply, but they are too cheap individually...postage is more than the cost of a single lamp.

Hope this is helpful

PirateChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheakev View Post
I'm hopeful that someone can help me figure out how to replace the two sets of bulbs (one dome, one map) which are filament bulbs with L.E.D. bulbs.

I checked here, read my manuals, and looked for any YouTube videos and found nothing on how to remove the plastic lens covers so I can get at the bulbs.

I thought I had one lens off but I was afraid I was going to crack it if forced too hard.

Also if anyone who has done this, where did you find the best source for the LED replacements?

Thanks!
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:05 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateChris View Post
OK, well here is how I got it done

First, mine is a 2016 AS Interstate (Sprinter)

The bulb replacement was 'counter intuitive"... the plastic lamp domes do not remove...you remove the entire over head lamp assembly, and the bulbs are removed from the BACK SIDE.

The overhead assembly easily pulls from the overhead, where it is held in place with friction springs. The lamps are mounted in 'shoe sockets' that remove from the back with a half twist. Almost any F9 lamp will work.

I bought 12 LED's that were F9 compatibles on Amazon for about $10...it is a lifetime supply, but they are too cheap individually...postage is more than the cost of a single lamp.

Hope this is helpful

PirateChris

PirateChris has it right. The whole assembly comes down really easily and on mine there are 4 spots to change bulbs. Really, really quick and easy. After my starter battery failed this week this was the first on my do-do list. Pics should help tell the tale...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2496.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	348071Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2497.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	348072Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2498.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	653.5 KB
ID:	348073Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2499.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	713.7 KB
ID:	348074Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2500.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	328.2 KB
ID:	348075Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2501.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	348076
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:22 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
The switch to LED dome lights in my AI appeared to be completely successful. But when using my new icarsoft MB ii it discovered a 'short circuit discovered at output 'interior lamp'. I may clear the code and see if it reappears - maybe it happened long ago when I installed the LED's? Or I may just ignore it.