Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Mont Saint Hilaire , Quebec
Changing light bulb in washroom

Hello. One of the light bulbs in the washroom of our 2014 AI burnt out. Removing the light fixture itself in order to get to the bulb is proving to be tricky. Does anyone know how to do this properly? It won't twist out and I'm hesitant to pry it out with force. Also, what type is the replacement bulb?

Thanks in advance for help.

Troy

Old 08-13-2014, 10:01 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2009 Interstate
Bethesda , Maryland
If it's the two-pin base, also known as G8. You probably have an LED which can be found in various wattages & temperatures, (color), all over the net including ebay. I used my fingernail to get under the lip and pull the fixture cover down.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben322 View Post
I used my fingernail to get under the lip and pull the fixture cover down.
I carry a set of dental picks in different sizes in my toolbox for just this sort of thing.
http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/p...igin=mens-home
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
I've wonder why the bath lite is so dim when all of the others are blinding.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73shark View Post
I've wonder why the bath lite is so dim when all of the others are blinding.
You can fix that easily enough. Go to a photography supply store, and get some pale yellow "warming gel" which actually comes in sheets. That's the stuff photographers use to make those bright actinic flashes and strobes give a warmer tone.

Pop the lens off each blinding interior LED light, and cut a piece of warming gel to fit each lens, then pop the lens back on with the gel behind it, and the lights will be slightly dimmer and have a warmer color index. LEDs don't generate enough heat to melt the warming gel, so it should last a long time before it needs to be replaced.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Actually I want a brighter bath lite. I can live w/ the others. Thanks for the tip.

PM me for sale info on my 2011. SOLD!
Upfitted Transit 350 sitting in driveway.
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Sedona , Arizona
Don't know about 2011-2012 models, but mine has all LED lights and they are supposed to last for years. So if it's burnt out, you should find out the reason; and since you're under warranty, get the dealer to do it for you.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Springfield , Missouri
Mine just went out also about 6 weeks ago. I used a very small bladed flat head or regular screw driver to pop the stainless steel trim ring loose, it simply snaps in place. You will have to cut the two wires to the light, be sure to leave yourself plenty of slack to rewire the new light. I used plug in connectors when I reinstalled the new light. I ordered the bulb from Amazon. To me it's hardly worth the wait, pain and suffering to deal with Airstream warranty. Good luck.

ITC (69660-SS-DB) Round LED Hardtop/Spreader Light
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC
Old 08-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Mont Saint Hilaire , Quebec
Thanks for the input. I was still trying to take it apart last night (it's still not moving) and decided to wait until this morning. I woke up to having the original "bad" light flickering and the original "good" light now turned off. Perhaps it's not the bulb at all but a general electrical issue instead?

We've got another week to go on our shakedown tour before we get home. Any thoughts on whether I can fix this myself or if it's better to just bring it to my dealership at the end of the trip?
Old 08-15-2014, 10:50 AM   #10
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
For me it would depend on if I have anything else to take to the dealer for service. I had a leak in the kitchen faucet goosed where it attached to the sink. Rather than driver 2.5 hours they got me the part and asked if I could change it. So they shipped me the whole new faucet so I easily swapped out just the gooseneck and they did not want the old one back.

Also the bathroom door lock was backwards and not assembled properly. Again, I just took it apart and reassemble it correctly and reinstalled. No reason to go to them.

You MAY have a bad splice or crimp connection up behind the light. I'd wait till I was done with my trip and then determine what your options are.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Livingston , Texas
I would put it to the dealer just so if anything happens. You still under warranty and if you do it yourself they gone blame you for any possible damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 08-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #12
BikerBill

Poconos of Pa , Pennsylvania
I did my "repairs" with pictures first to the dealer service dept and also to the factory. I had email communications regarding the repairs. The faucet just need a rubber "O" ring but that is not a part so the factory send a complete new kitchen faucet.

If you are not comfortable doing your own repairs the dealer may be the safe way out. But I preferred not to have to drive 5 hours round trip and also to have to leave it there while they "ordered" the parts.